Adventure Chef

I liked your game and your sprites are a piece of art. I’m a bit offended by the fact that while I, the chef, were out fighting miniature dragons the so-called adventureres were taking a light walk while drinking grape soda and eating fruit, but given the results, I’m not going to complain :wink:

I’m going to make some suggestions for what I think would make the game a little more interesting:

• Cooking: I found it a bit weird that despite dividing cooking into three parts, there were only two mini games, so here’s a suggestion for a third: For adding ingredients you could use the same arrow box interface, but have one button at a time move across the bar then have the player tap the correct key at the correct timing, sort of like a cheap Guitar Hero thing.
    . Gathering ingredients: It’s a bit time consuming and there’s no real challenge other than making sure you don’t miss anything. How about making a count down timer and having the player try to gather as much as possible in the time frame? That way the multiple paths become part of the challenge, since you have to decide on an optimal route. I would suggest that this comes with a lowering of the standard for how many ingredients are needed for a full meal.
    -Fighting: Given that the creatures don’t fight back, there’s no real reason to gather ingredients by fighting, may as well just interact with them. If they were to fight back and there was a chance of having the hunt end early because of low health it would be a different story.
    -Adventuring: I would love to see some actual adventuring events. Especially some involving dialogue or actions related to their weight. Examples: Trying to take something from a crevice, swinging across a waterhole, fighting a creature, climbing a cliff, chasing down a creature with a treasure. Basically various events in where the adventure experiences succes or failure because of the increased weight.

You’ve made a great game, regardless of whether this is it or you continue working on it, so you have my thanks.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with the download with mediafire can you put the link on mega pls?
thx

I agree with a lot of what you said but I kind of hate how tedious the gathering can be, the one thing I thanked the heavens for was “good thing it’s not timed!” lol

3 Likes

I rarely comment here, but wanted to add that I really loved this and hope to see more from you. It was easy, enjoyable, funny. Would be great to have more adventurers or stages, but hey, it’s a free game and you’ve done an awesome job.

1 Like

Here you go 369.48 MB file on MEGA

Please don’t add a timer. I beg of you.

This has been a lot of fun so far. Just so I’m not wasting any leftovers, when a character says “I don’t think I can get any bigger,” is that as big as they can get, or is there another stage or so past that?

7 Likes

the maker mention about the size stages above

5 Likes

Fair point. To be honest I usually avoid games that feel grindy. I figured a timer might cut down on that, since it would mean not going through the entire map, but maybe just gathering half the ingredients. But I must admit that I prefer being able to save before leaving the gathering site and encountering any events and a timer would probably make that hard.
I do however feel that something about the gathering could use a change. It feels a bit repetitive. I guess some random encounters could do it; A shady merchant, some sort of quick super ingredient to catch on some days, days where the adventures want to avoid specific ingredients, a hidden item on each of the three maps or similar things.

1 Like

Some of those sound pretty good. Honestly, I expected there to be hidden special items in some of the locations (like that little stone ‘arch’ off on its own, in the top left corner of the water map). Might be cool to see stuff like that.

Just, I concur with no timers. Especially if you want to get the ladies as big as possible, a timer would just feel like ‘haha, good luck with that’ - especially with the way RPG Maker controls, and those one-tile wide pinch points on some of the maps, and the backtracking.

1 Like

Would there be a chance of having more events where one of the main characters requests an extra meal ?
Also, would it be possible to have a closer, more detailed image of the girls when you’re talking to one of them ?

The less timers in games the better. It’s the main reason that, while I like the characters, plot, and setting; I can’t say dead rising is one of my favorite games(The 4th does away with the timer, but it does away with the plot too, but I wanted to be able to explore and experiment with weapon combos anyway). The Monster Hunter grilling bit of the cooking minigame was bad enough(and sometimes wasn’t even that responsive). Adding a timer to hunting would be awful!

…In my opinion. Of course.

2 Likes

On another note, the cooking music causes my game to lag, meaning it may or may not register the input correctly, causing me to have to restart the minigame several times and hope I press early enough to hit the exact delay on accident.

Monster Hunter Rise has timers on hunts, from what I’ve seen.

Also yeah, timers normally make everything worse. I say this not only as someone with a panic disorder, but also someone who has dealt with them as a lazy artificial difficulty mechanic for longer than I care to openly admit.

1 Like

I’d be perfectly fine with timers, but with the caveat that it’s optional. Loved the game, particularly the spritework.

Minor bug report; I think I caused the slime and night feast events to happen simultaneously on one run; the slime showed up and went offscreen, then the morning transition happened, then Kessa walked up to the player character and the game softlocked.

1 Like

An idea that I was taken with is that, as a reward, the player could get a special ending scene with the single adventurer they had fed the most over the course of the game (or beyond a certain threshold, weighted by when they joined the party). Gives the player a reason to continue feeding the ladies leftovers once they hit their max size.

2 Likes

and i’m glad i did: this is great and i only wish it lasted longer and had larger sizes.

3 Likes

That’s a staple. I love the games, but the hunt timer and the cooking minigame are two gripes I have with the franchise(Luckily with world, they added expeditions that lack timers).

Hmmmm, speaking of monster hunter. If this game gets any updates, maybe some larger “boss” creatures, that give us tons of meat if we can beat them, but are entirely optional?

2 Likes

I agree with JoeyVee, a bit longer and with more sizes is always fun, though perhaps a little more tutorial or explanation of how gathering works as well, along with a bit more of a generous hitbox on the swing would be appreciated. Truth be told i didnt know how to get any food the first time i played so i speedran the gathering sections and dismissed it as early beta shenanigans haha

2 Likes

Ooh, what about special rewards for cooking food made from the bosses? Like special unique sizes, or encouraging gaining in different areas? Maybe being able to make them big enough to be immobile, and thus getting a different ending, or being able to make the character you like the best have the build you like best (more belly, butt, boobs than they normally would have).

Of course, we’re all just going ‘wouldn’t this be amazing’ about a game we’re not making, and aren’t putting work into…

5 Likes

The swing hitbox is extremely generous.
You can hit enemies through small walls and across gaps.

2 Likes