Airo University (Bug patch just released!)

The first official release of Airo University is now available!

You can download it here
Airo University by The_Geo (itch.io)

At the current moment there are still A LOT of features I want to add, but I decided to put enough things together to make a first release now

There are probably going to be a few bugs, and if you encounter any please let me know. I’m going to get straight back to adding more features to this project, but if there are any bugs you encounter, I’ll patch them and quickly release and updated build.

Again, if there is anything you’d like to recommend I would love to hear your ideas. I want this to be a game that you can have a say in. I might not be able to add all ideas, but I will definitely consider all of them.

To end off, I’d like to quickly list the features that I’m currently working on:
More uses for each of the subjects
More interactions between you and the NPCs
A new NPC (Whose identity will remain a secret for now)
More jobs
More random events at the end of each day

I’d appreciate some feedback on the current state of the project, and again I would love to hear any ideas you guys have

Patch:
Just patched some of the commonly reported bugs, also added access to the inventory from the town, changed some of the prologue dialogue, and moved questions regarding appearance to your first trip to the mirror. Make sure to download this new patch there are some very important bugs that are fixed with it!

51 Likes

The premise seems interesting and i like a slow-burn kind of story, that focuses on the characters and the relationships they form as well as the WG of course. I’ll be on the lookout for this one, seems promising!

2 Likes

It’d be great if you could find an artist for this game, other than that I’m looking forward to this.

1 Like

Sounds like quite the heavy (heh) project, but a very interesting slow burn premise, which definitely a really fun way to go about things, hope you can pace yourself to end up with something you enjoy making!

1 Like

This sounds very interesting, and right up my alley. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

Definitely interested.

This is a very nice game so far. There are two bugs that I stumbled across that pop up when you try to read a book or do some sketches. I’m assuming the sketching glitch may be caused by a rogue space in “$actions” judging by the traceback, but I don’t know enough about Ren’Py to be sure.

Aside from that and the weird mixing of Imperial and Metric (height and weight respectively), this is looking to be a pretty great game.

EDIT: There is also a game-stopping bug when it gets late on the first day. Welcome to the wonderful world of Programming.

2 Likes

Ran into similar errors as Somchu. Here’s the tracebacks of them.

Reading a book
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1527, in script
    jump sharespace
ScriptError: could not find label 'sharespace'.

Reading a book is also missing the $ activity -= 1 line.

Sketching

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 997, in script
    $ actions -= 1
  File "game/script.rpy", line 997, in <module>
    $ actions -= 1
NameError: name 'actions' is not defined

Two instances of the “actions” variable vs “activity”, although sketching is where I first ran into it.

End of first day

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 2029, in script
    if dayevent <= 5:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (game/script.rpy, line 2058)

Just missing an ‘and’ on one of the elifs.

Talking to Fey

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1210, in script
    menu:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (game/script.rpy, line 1257)

Line 1257 has = instead of == for a conditional.

Also looks like $ art is used in some spots like the lecture, which throws an error. On line 559 there’s both $ art and $ creativity.

You’ve also got some conditional checks that use <<, these only need to be <. The << is a bitshift operand, for equality checks you only need < <= == >= >.

• $ computerrandom is missing a definition.
  • Chatting with Alan’s menu choice has a (1) next to it, but it’s not decrementing the actions currently.
  • The Dessert menu in the Kitchen is missing an S and doesn’t have a back button in case one doesn’t want a dessert.

Fey’s feyeaten variable is never reset at the end of the day, so only the first talk with her has the option to grab food.
It may also be worth looking into whether activitymodify should be reset at the end of each day? I kept losing weight despite eating tons, I’m assuming because I had been jogging a lot with Fey. Edit: When weighing Fey for the first time, she’s 3Kg, so her modifier is missing a daily reset as well.

This is always an interesting premise to a weight gain game, it’s great that you’ve already got a decent amount of content for your first demo. It’s not that important, but I think some of the initial character details could be saved for the first “Look in Mirror” event, since those questions seemed out of place. The writing in the prologue seemed a bit stiff compared to the rest of the dialogue.

When in town, I think it would be nice to be able to access your inventory so that you can eat the food you’ve bought. If you’re going to work an evening shift at the Supermarket, but realize your fullness is low, there’s not an easy option to fill it.

3 Likes

Got it, that’s a lot of bug reports thank you so much! It’s a bit late for me to make any edits now, but I’ll get straight on that tomorrow.

The prologue was written before anything else, so that’s before I had been doing a lot of writing, I’ll go back and make edits to that part of the game.

A lot of the variables I can change very quickly no problem, so you can expect a patch for that tomorrow.

Inventory in town is also easily possible, so I’ll work on that.

I also didn’t realise activitymodify wasn’t being reset. But I guess there’s a lot of things you can miss during programming right?

I’m sorry if this first demo hasn’t been the best. I’ll try and get it improved ASAP

2 Likes

Not sure if just me but the game doesn’t seem to work right, can’t seem to get weights to change, the girl to become my friend and when I look in the mirror it just gives me a bug report about appearance being false, probably because in the code it’s spelt apearance, which when I edit goes through the script but then prompts me to enter my looks every single time I look in the mirror.

2 Likes

My game also glitches when I look in the mirror. On top of that, attempting to access the dark web also causes glitches. Haven’t found any notable glitches aside from that, I’ll edit as I come across them.

Trying to do freelance programming causes a glitch. Going to the park and sketching causes glitches.

A bit of a date issue, as well.

I have a hunch that most of the actions that require certain skills are broken, though I can’t prove Writer or asking Fey what’s up due to a lack of English points and a lack of understanding of certain mechanics. But it might be a good idea to check up on them. Also, I’ve only been able to lose weight, but people have already mentioned that.

So far, from what I’ve seen, the game has a ton of potential. Once the glitches are ironed out, this game has potential to be an outstanding game.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing for awhile tonight, yet I have yet to gain a gram above my starting weight, despite a rich diet and total lack of any exercise. Any thoughts?

5 Likes

This is a fun idea and can go to many places but you may need to fix the weight gain part of the game because I have not gain a pound but beside that this is a very good game and I hope to see more.

1 Like

Same here. I only occasionally go on walks and very often eat a Full English or bake a cake with Fey. And I can’t stop losing weight. At under 48 kg, I’m more than a bit worried

You guys can try this version of the script (extract and drop into the game\ folder), it fixes the stuff that was in my post and the date stuff. The patch to reset the activity levels of the MC and Fey were reversed, which is why you’d still lose weight despite not exercising.

Airo_script.zip (23.8 KB)

One thing I didn’t fix and just looked at is why you’re teleported to town during the transition from Morning to Midday. There’s a check for whether you’re intown on each transition, but it’s not set to false in Your Room or the living room, so if you end your day in the town and do two actions without leaving your dorm, you end up back in town.

When you fix this The_Geo, could you make a variable for “location” and then jump to a little routine that runs through each of the areas and sends you back to the right place?

6 Likes

Alright, the patch fixed most of the issues. However, I found that playing games with Riyu causes a glitch. All the other Riyu events seem to be working properly though.

So far, I haven’t found anything game-breaking, though. I’ll edit if I do.

Thank you very much. Mow gaining weight is at least possible. But the dates are still wonky. Somehow I reached 7/1 and then it skipped to 0/2. Have you or the dev tried using the datetime library?

1 Like

I only made a small typo correction to the day assignment, but yeah, when the rollover happens for the month/year, the day/month should be set to 1, rather than 0. I didn’t look at it too closely, but it wasn’t using normal-length months, but it might be something for The_Geo to look into.

A bug when viewing the museum:
Line 1582 has a syntax error on the last conditional, it’s using = instead of ==.

Enjoying the game a lot so far! Big questions/comments though:

1. Is the fey event possible? I’ve got 20 english and I talk to her every day that i can but i still apparently dont have the relationship level or english for it
  2. Definitely need to tweak jobs/stats/money. It’s very feast or famine. You either start off with enough stats to have a good job (like 35 coding) and have literally 500+ dollars at any point, or you struggle to afford food if you have balanced stats to start.
  3. There’s not a lot to do right now, like Im waiting for this fey event, but I’ve got a lot of money, don’t need to lose stress, and have 20 or more in every stat.
  4. Speaking of which, stress is a bit odd right now. Many activities seem to do nothing BUT reduce stress, like checking the internet, whereas some increase stats AND give relief, like reading a book. Considering the only things that reduce stress are working and school, i have like -85 stress right now.
  5. Also just as a general note, there’s a lot of negative numbers if you’re not careful, and there’s a fair amount of errors that pop up, or little things like a class saying it’s coding, but clicking it gives the dialogue for an English class, and then it ends up giving coding points.

EDIT: Not sure if I broke it somehow, but at like 100 fey points I was able to ask her whats wrong, and I tried stuffing her at like 200 and it seems to not work. Also don’t judge me for the folders, I’m home from college lol

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1451, in script
    $ feytolerance += renpy.random.randnint(2,3)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1451, in <module>
AttributeError: 'DetRandom' object has no attribute 'randnint'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1451, in script
  File "C:\Users\Gabe\Desktop\School\Hmmm\AiroUni-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Gabe\Desktop\School\Hmmm\AiroUni-1.0-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1451, in <module>
AttributeError: 'DetRandom' object has no attribute 'randnint'

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Airo University 1.0
Mon Mar 01 00:29:25 2021

Stumbled across a glitch that occurs when you stuff yourself while interacting with Riyu.

Also one thing I noticed that might be purely preference, but it kinda feels like the weight descriptions move along a bit faster than your actual weight does. For instance, my character is at 63.38 kg (roughly 140 lbs, if my conversions are accurate?) and has already reached an XXXL-sized rear and a “huge double belly.” I’m assuming that what type of foods you eat also heavily affects where your character gains, since I’ve also noticed that it’s mostly just the rear that is growing from eating cake.

I can’t be certain about the sizes since I don’t really have much much knowledge on how weight correlates with clothing size (especially outside of the US), but it does feel like the character’s size descriptions become higher faster than weight does.

EDIT: Also, updating Riyu on your weight ends the chat early, but I’m not sure if that’s a bug or if it’s intentional. Also, Riyu has asked me if I’m into gaining weight twice. Not a major issue, but it seems like something you’d probably want to know about.

5 Likes