Another Reminder About Asking for Updates

This is a repeat of a previous post of mine, but since we have a lot of newcomers, I’d like to remind everyone that, as outlined in our FAQ that the following is not allowed and will result in the deletion of your post:

• Asking for updates.
  • Asking for a game to be updated.
  • Asking when a game will be updated.
  • Asking for a list of upcoming updates unprompted.
  • Asking if “there have been any updates”
  • Declaring a project “dead” or “abandoned.” If you feel a project’s curated status needs to be updated, please DM the administration about this.
  • Reminding a developer that it has been “x” days/months/etc. since the last update. This will result in much harsher administrative action.
  • Generally talking about the lack of updates or update schedule in a disparaging manner.

Note the above is not an exhaustive list but are some examples we’ve seen here of late. I would like to remind everyone, as well, that the reasoning for this is that 99.99% of these projects are by hobbyists who are in no way beholden to an update schedule. Likewise, they aren’t going to keep an update “hidden” from the community, once they have something they feel is worth sharing, they will let you all know. Asking for updates does not improve the discussions here, but litters the boards with what amounts to spam forcing readers to sift through it to find actual, useful discussion about the project.

It should also be noted that we are fairly lax about this rule as it is a minor offense. However, continued posting asking for updates after being reminded by administration will result in official warnings and eventually direct disciplinary actions, such as loss of permissions or, if it continues, temporary/permanent bans.

This is and should not be read as a direct message to any particular user, but a reminder to any old/new users that they should review the FAQ and attempt to follow these guidelines when posting.

20 Likes

I am happy to see rules like this. are there any guidelines in place to discourage people from pestering developers to increase weight limits in games? do you feel like such a thing could be useful? I kinda really hate the idea of someone’s sole critique of something being “you can’t make her bigger”

1 Like

I assumed this was un-kosher anywhere and everywhere, and refrained from asking, EVER.

I am okay with the rules beside there are so many wonderful games and amazing people here that waiting a bit from a update is not that bad.

@CaptainElderly, there is no specific rule for that as its a bit of a grey area between what is and is not valid discussion/criticism of the project, but we do keep an eye out for any behavior of pestering devs for specific features to be added in their game as we do consider that harassment and not contributing to the discussion.

We strive to keep a balance between allowing free, constructive discussion of projects and protecting the rights of devs and users to not be harassed.

1 Like

I should ask just for future reference.
Would it be ok to ask a dev how things are going about a planned update rather than for it. Sort of like a check up, or would it just not be allowed period?

No, that is not allowed. It may be tempting to think there is a difference, but in the end asking for an update on the progress of development or a certain feature is still the same as asking when the next update will be out.

1 Like

Great to see these rules. Another forum I was part of had me annoyed nonstop by questions like these