Apostles (Latest Update 0.10: July 2023)

great things to look forward to! :blush:

I think shorter, more common updates help bring about a new audience as your threads get bumped to the top of the forum every so often, but they can end up feeling segmented if not handled right.

Longer more spaced out patches bring in all the good stuff in one go but the wait can be excruciating at times :laughing:

Personally I’d rather wait for a larger update which has the exact beats and progression you intend for it to have. Without forced cuts to conform to arbitrary deadlines, as those can be hell-ish and lead to burnout.

5 Likes

I agree with SirBunnyMan, I prefer to wait a bit more for the updates so they’re the length that feels right for you. The last update was so amazing I think I’ll be able to wait for a while

5 Likes

I think the shorter, more frequent would be more appealing. The Apostles updates are so high quality that I’m sure they could stand on their own even if they weren’t as long as they currently are. It’s also a story that lends itself to theorizing what happens next, so I feel like consuming it in small doses is better than “binging” it all. It would also probably boost the game’s popularity and give you more feedback to incorporate if you like it enough.

But ultimately, what’s most important is what works for you, so I’d suggest trying it out for a while and going back if it doesn’t fit your style.

1 Like

I like the bigger updates myself. I love playing this game for hours at a time. It also seems to be how you structure things anyways. Cutting yourself short to meet arbitrarily short deadlines might lead to jarring endings.

You do you, but considering this is a fat fetish board, I find bigger to be better. :wink:

3 Likes

Since this is mostly a visual novel/adventure game, it is probably better to go for bigger updates. While smaller updates will help make it is easier to keep track of the story, especially as we adventure into the late-mid-to-endgame, there’s also just…not much actual game anyway. There is no real rush to try out new content since don’t tend to do MUCH different (not to criticize the minigames and events, love 'em!) and I think the binge format to updates help make the setup of the game more palatable, especially as we don’t have to wait on characters and story arcs we may not particularly care for.

It also just saves on data. As this game gets bigger, wouldn’t necessarily be fair to keep making us download more often. We are already past the 1GB point, having to do that on a monthly basis will get tiring quick…

4 Likes

#Pray4Kale :pray:

I think longer slower updates are better, even if it’ll be the same in the end I think playing in bigger chunks makes the story and characters flow better in the moment

2 Likes

I prefer big chunks in general, but especially for a game like this with several different storylines. Not all of them receive equal attention, so if we got more frequent smaller updates it would make it feel even longer between visiting the more obscure plot lines. Plus it feels unsatisfying to download a game and only have 20 minutes of content.

3 Likes

Apostles have always been known to release 1 hour long updates so I think an update that you post is good in a length of a “Chapter” that you have released thus far. So that means I think it is better you work on the parts you feel will complete that “Chapter” as you have done so far rather than trying to bring out smaller parts which might be exhausting in the long run.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone who took the time to give thoughts! It seems that a high majority of people don’t mind the wait, and that bigger is indeed better. So that’s what I’ll be working towards! Won’t be soon, but be ready for another big update as Auburnwoods prospers further in spring!

10 Likes

Damn they always take me like 3 or 4 hours to get through.

2 Likes

i’m wondering what point does the bet between lily and gretal happen. i’m currentlty at winter wait. thank you for the help in advance.

@frank_spick If I recall correctly, I think you might have already passed the bet between Lily and Gretel. There should have been a point where Steph was holding one last big feast before she started her fast in which…you had the option to play as Lily or Gretel, both competing to burst the dress of one of the two sisters. Gretel took Steph, running around the church finding her snacks, while Lily went drinking with Sophia.

1 Like

thank you for telling me this.

1 Like

Definitely prefer longer updates, even if it means a longer wait. I am willing to wait for such high-quality stuff!

7 Likes

Progress report for September!

Not a lot of Apostle work was done, but for hopefully a reason you all will accept! Every year WGgaming holds a yearly game jam for creators to try to make a new game in a 2 week period and I (as well as the team with me) gave it a shot ourselves with a game called Greed’s End!

It’s a story of how our protagonist “Sam” finds herself on an unknown train she doesn’t remember boarding, and she along with three other girls is accused of living a life of Greed. In order to escape an awful fate, they must compete in a series of tests to see who will make it through, and who will be left behind!

Main
Thug LEvel 3
Marybadend

Now full disclosure the game while playable all the way to the end, does have some rough or even unfinished spots. This is fully my fault as I was unable to get all of my side of the work done in time (who knew trying to make an Apostles sized update of a game in a 2 week period would be hard!?)

That said even if the jam is over, I fully intend to finish the game on my own time. So if you want an early look at i’d say a rough cut of the game, head on over to Greeds end. And check it out!

Otherwise wait a week or so, and I’ll post the full polished game here.

In any case though, once that’s done, its back to Apostles!

14 Likes

I thought that game had your fingerprints on it. WG storylines with a dark edge are very much your style. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So happy to hear you will be working more on it! It really is a small gem of a game!

1 Like

I cannot wait for the full version.

1 Like

STILL ALIVE, Sorry for being a week late on the progress report!

Progress has been made albeit slow. Between working non-stop on Greed’s end in August and being slightly sick for most of September the progress has been a LOT less then I would have liked. Sorry about that, but I’m hard at work to make up for it!

Speaking of Greed’s end, that has not been forgotten, work is still being done on it and a new version should be comng sooner rather then later. I know CJ has been hard at work for new art for it.

As for Apostles, I’ll make it my mission to be done (this update) before the year’s end. Expect a lot of Sebastian and Heather content!

Otherwise I hope everyone enjoys a very spooky month!

25 Likes

No worries at all, take all the time you need. I hope you’re feeling better now

2 Likes