For the last few months I’ve been working on a Fetishmaster mod in my spare time.
- Adds a new area to the game, located in the old city
- Adds several new items & monsters
- Fleshes out the existing measurement system
- Adds more randomly-generated characters to interact with
- Adds functional weaponry and shields!
- Will eventually add an entirely new questline
- Will eventually have artwork drawn by yours truly (once I fix my desktop - for now it’s placeholders)
- WIll add spellcasting!
Should be compatible with most other mods - Anything that modifies the darkstreet event in the old city might cause issues.
In addition, I’ve made an entirely new way to play the game, which I’ve unimaginatively called the Fields system.
TL;DR it turns Fetishmaster into a top-down RPG in certain areas.
This system is available for you to make your own content on, and I’ll type up a post later detailing how that’s done.
Please watch out for any mistakes I’ve made in my drunken stupor, I may have forgotten to include some files while patching this.
Feedback & constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
Vote on what you’d like to see!
Mod Content Poll
Patch v.0.2.2 [LATEST]
This certainly looks interesting. If I have some time tonight I’ll give it a go and hopefully I can provide some feedback.
Didn’t really get a chance to dig in here, but a couple quick suggestions:
Your goo girls are actually being generated as males - you can change the generic.sex gene in their DNA templates to 2.0 (female) or 3.0 (futa); I haven’t gotten anywhere to see whether or not their actual gender makes a difference to anything beyond the in-battle pronouns.
The looting system is interesting, but it prints out the name of the item file rather than the actual name of the item, which kind of spoils one item’s effects in particular. Off the top of my head I can’t really think of an engine-friendly way to grab the name of the chosen item, though, so the quickest (not necessarily cleanest) fix might just be to have a separate array of item names. Also, the scrap_metal item doesn’t appear to exist.
Also, I didn’t look at how it determines when you’ve looted enough, but I managed to pick up a ton of stuff at the old office building in the first map before it stopped me from grabbing anything else.
Sorry if it sounds like I’m nitpicking - it’s definitely a refreshing change (especially the roguelike elements), and lord knows the modding scene for this game is small enough as it is; the last thing I want to do is drive anyone away. I’ll take some time tomorrow and play through it without picking at the tiny details.
EDIT: Also, the initialization template for Miya is referenced but not included (char/miya_init), so anything beyond her intro just throws errors.
Implemented bugfixes as pointed out by @jimbobvii
- Goo girls now actual girls
- Scrap metal now exists
- Miya actually initializes now, so you can see her starting events
- The city convenience shop is now an actual shop
- Added warm coats that protect you from the wind in the city ruins
- The names of items show up properly when looting from collection points
- Added the navel size description I forgot to in the initial patch
The link in the main post has been updated with the new version!
Really glad you are taking a crack at expanding the game! Just wanted to point out a quickly fixable bug when fighting the new Goo Girls. In the “hit_desc_blue_slime_1.tpl”, you have a typo which throws an exception on their attacks:
It takes <%(int)ho%> damage, but <%self.getName();%> feels bloated after being force-fed so much slime.
This should be “hp”, and it was breaking the battles for me.
Another patch for you all.
- Fixed a bug with goo girl attacks courtesy of @Linkup
- Implemented (limited) interaction with Miya, pending a rewrite of most of her code.
- (Temporarily) Added Fungal Herbicide (The item to get rid of bloatspores) to the magic shop until I implement the quest to acquire it.
- Added a passage to and from the Fungal Depths. Convenient!
Main post has been updated with the new download link.
Oooh, I’m a sucker for custom races. If you plan on fleshing out the kitsune stuff beyond Miya, I’ve got some DNA templates I’ve been sitting on for a while, if you want 'em. Gonna be months before the mod I built them for will be ready to beta-test anyways.
Not much to this one, just added the beginnings of an inflation system to the base, Eventually it’ll have a mini-questline around getting it set up and a few events but for now it’s relatively barebones.
Link in original post once more!
Hate to be that guy, but a couple more small things to point out:
The energy drink (which for whatever reason is called pure_water.item?) doesn’t add to a character’s fullness as its script targets generic.food instead of abdomen.food.
The matron_bless effect alternates between looking for the matron_quest flag as a personal flag and global flag. According to the event files, the latter is correct, I believe, meaning the flag only advances properly on ‘offscreen’ births, I think, but I’d need to double-check that.
There’s also a reference in the ring effect to an image that doesn’t exist (field/cursed_ring_surge.png), but that doesn’t throw errors or anything so it’s not much to worry about.
It’s time for another patch!
- Energy drinks and pure water aren’t the same thing anymore (sadly)
- Fixes to matron questline
- The ring now has the image it was supposed to
And some content as well!
- Prototyped a roster system for having proxies perform their own actions when not in use. Currently this only has milking their full breasts, which you can turn off in the options menu for individual proxies.
- Heavily expanded the measurement system - it now compares your weight to the last time you measured (and will tell you how long ago that was) and displays how much a proxy has gained.
- The roster menu also features reminders to measure proxies that can also be customized.
- Protyped an actual day, month year date system, which will be used to add more depth to measurements (weekly/monthly gain, that sort of thing)
As usual, link in the original post
If you free the kitsune before getting told to by the Matron, the quest stops. Not sure if this is a bug or just running up against the end of the current content.
More stuff! Huzzah!
- A brief explanation of the Fields system is now available
- The roving character encounters from the Kau Village have been added to Hilltown
- More conversations with said roving characters are now available.
- The Matron’s questline is no longer tied to Miya; the last quest has been replaced with recruiting shrine worshippers. (If you’re stuck, being pregnant helps with convincing people)
- FInishing the (current) final Matron quest now also unlocks a reward.
- Starting the Matron’s questline with a male and having your gender changed will now also change that proxy’s name.
- Weapons are now a thing! Currently only an iron sword and wooden shield are implemented, but there will be more coming. Weapons provide a flat damage bonus, and shields lower the chance for enemies to hit you.
- You can also dualwield swords, you filthy Beater.
- The event for trying to leave the base with a proxy too big to walk has been fleshed out very slightly.
The next update will probably focus on the roster system added last patch; working with the roving characters gave me new insight into a better way to code it. Also expect some more Matron content - current plans are to have a repeatable quest to have more spirit pregnancies and spend the points generated by that on bonuses - potentially inheritable stat changes or cool magical items. I also plan to add support for the quest log in MaternalReads’ mod, so if you’re playing both at once it will track your quests.
As per usual, the link to the latest patch is in the original post.
Maybe I’m missing something but how exactly are you supposed to free Miya from the fungus? I bought the herbicide but when I go to her and click “use” in the inventory my proxy just drinks it and Miya remains trapped. Is there another tool I require or am I supposed to use it differently?
It’s not currently implemented. I’m planning to redo Miya, she started out as a test for running characters offscreen and I’ll redo her from the ground up at a later date.
So for the matron quest line do you have to keep the kids she gives you at first or can you donate them to Daria for her blessings?
Last time I played before this update I would give the kids to Daria to build up her blessings, and anytime I go to the Matron all she says is “greeting adventure” and there are zero spirits near her and nothing else happens
How do I access the matron quest line?
And how do I get the random proxy to appear in hilltown?
It… shouldn’t be giving you kids at all? I’m reasonably certain I squashed that bug this patch.
Either way the proxy you initially start the questline with is the Matron’s Priestess, and you do the questline with her.
You can start the questline in the fungal depths, which you access through the area off the dark street in the old city.
The characters will appear randomly around hilltown after 8am, and usually go home at 6pm.
“Fleshes out the existing measurement system” How so?
I’ve added tracking of a proxy’s measurements over time with my mod. Currently it only retains a proxy’s last measurements and tells you how they’ve changed since last time to prevent using too many flags, but I’d like to add weekly and monthly changed as well.
So, is it actually possible to remove the ring once it’s equipped? In its base and stuck forms, you can trigger the removal text by meeting its condition, but it doesn’t remove the effect, meaning essentially that nothing happens. It’s largely the same for the cursed form, but because of the way the conditionals are set up it’s impossible to trigger that much. It looks like it works right in its decursed form, but I don’t actually think there’s an event chain that lets you get that far yet.