Banquet for the Undying Famine - A SMT inspired RPG (Halloween Update!)

Thank you for the feedback and for playing my game! I want to implement a full map you can view so hopefully that will help with the visibility of the area. As for the dialogue spacing that is actually the fault of font I downloaded. It is supposed to emulate the look of the Digital Devil Survivor font but it seems to have errors like that in it. I will probably opt for a similar pixel font instead. Thank you again for taking the time to give me feedback!

2 Likes

It is a good start the art is good and it has the feel of SMT game but combat needs some work because vampire can get kill so fast and it a bit for queen to get a new attack but beside that I do like the game.

2 Likes

Hi there!! Really really REALLY, loved this game, I canā€™t wait for more. Well done with this game, loved the characters and the spells!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and playing my game! I will look into the pacing of stats and skill acquisition.

4 Likes

I completed the demo. It was fun!

End game level, size, and impressions under the cut

I beat but was unable to eat the cerberus. timing just didnā€™t work out. Had fun playing and then doing a lil grinding to get up to level 7 and max weight. Tried the fight once and lost, realized what I needed to actually do and then beat it pretty easily.

Generally I think itā€™s pretty good! Kinda unfair feeling when you get bowled over by enemies at your level because of press turns tho. Consider capping it at a lower extra turn count for normal enemies maybe? Not sure. The world visuals are a lil underwhelming, but the character art is good!

The golden slime encounter is fun but I was a smidge disappointed that there wasnā€™t some fun hidden thing you got for figuring out how to devour it.

The only other feedback I have is that I like it a lot that all the edible enemies being food and not people. Games never handle that kinda thing in a way Iā€™m comfortable with so itā€™s really nice to have a game that neatly sidesteps that. Iā€™d also really like it if there were like, gulps burps and maybe some stomach noises related to eating. A gulp and a burp if you devour an enemy completely, and a gulp, smaller burp and then some stomach noises when youā€™re full? That would be hot to me! Maybe make em toggleable in the settings if you think itā€™ll turn some people off.

Overall I like it a lot so far. Definitely will be keeping an eye on how this game develops!

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and for playing the game!

To your point about enemy difficulty and their number of turns, I would like to keep their turns unchanged, I enjoy press turn combat because it is an equal playing field on both sides, but I think I could make their stats weaker, this doesnā€™t need to be ballbustingly hard like an SMT game.

Thanks for the feedback on how the world looks. I want to eventually go over and make my own textures and sprites for all the world stuff and not rely on the default RPG Maker stuff. Hopefully I can add a more unique and interesting flair to it.

On the golden slime encounter, I think I could improve it a lot more. My initial idea was to let the player decide if they wanted to let it live for the chance it will force feed them for extra weight which would equal extra FP, or eat the golden slime for more weight than the normal enemy would give. I think I forgot to implement the added extra weight for eating the slime so it currently doesnā€™t have much of a benefit to eating it. I think there should probably be more rewards for eating it as well. Possibly healing the party or extra exp.

ā€œThe only other feedback I have is that I like it a lot that all the edible enemies being food and not people.ā€
Thank you, I personally am not into vore, and while I may have some enemy encounters against other characters as seen in the demo, I do not wish to have any character eating characters. It will all be just food monsters/demons. I apologize for those who enjoy that kink, but it is just not for me.

Adding stomach SFX would be great and I would love to add that. It will probably be different toggle options as I personally donā€™t like burps but I wouldnā€™t mind adding it as an option since it is mostly harmless. I do love stomach gurgles and growls though.

Thank you again for taking the time to give me your thoughts and playing my game!

6 Likes

I love this game so far! The art direction and style especially! Keep up the good work and I hope to play more in subsequent updates!

Also it seems anytime a character named ā€˜Beatriceā€™ shows up I automatically like her lol

2 Likes

Idk why but this game give me Kingā€™s field vibes and Iā€™m all for it!
Good luck with development!

2 Likes

Damn, where do you go to throw money at this project?

2 Likes

Even if we canā€™t pay this dude in money, weā€™ll pay them with hype! This game really nails the press turn battle system. Itā€™s not as fun as the smt series, but it is enjoyable and I like that weight has such a risk-reward factor to it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! My current plans are that I would like to eventually sell this as a game once its completed for a small price, but for now I want to have all the demos and updates I release to be free.

I will probably open up a ko-fi or something for donations as a tip jar. If there is a large enough following that wants development for this to speed up, or if they would like more frequent updates, I could look at other avenues of monetization like a Patreon that would allow me to work on this full time.

I am also open to hearing thoughts and feedback on these ideas as well.

4 Likes

As a SMT fan all I can say is that the gameā€™s great so far! The weight gain system is really nice, and while the random encounters can be a bit too OP, itā€™s nothing a bit farming, and careful saving wonā€™t solve. The character sprites also look quite good, and the only bugs I noticed were the ones already noted. So keep up the good work, I canā€™t wait for the updates on the project!

3 Likes

Just did an update for the game! It isnā€™t anything significant if you already played the demo, but if you have not, it should make the experience a bit smoother.

You can read the full change list here!

8 Likes

I am excited to see where this game goes. I like the artstyle of the characters and wonder how this project expands

2 Likes

NEW UPDATE!!!

if-itch-update

New features include full map display, map icons, and a new floor to gluttony featuring a weight door!
Check out the full change list here!

13 Likes

as short as it was it was really fun, my only main concern is the grinding to reach a weight stage, iā€™m not really a fun of that, maybe food items in general could help with it.
Another concern i had is the fps, it really CHUGS when in first person and iā€™m not quite sure why.
A minor thing should be mentioning skills gained from fp it took me until reaching the boss to notice i could use fp to learn skills, it would be a little nice to be told about this.

all in all very solid start

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!
The weight stages are definitely a work in progress, Iā€™ll look into it and make sure it is satisfying without being too slow.

The FP thing is import to hear, Iā€™ll make sure to add more dialogue in general and a natural explanation to the player about FP and weight might help.

Lastly the FPS is a surprise, I had problems with FPS early in development but it has since worked fine on my machine. The game should have some amount of graphics settings but ultimately it shouldnā€™t be that bad to run.

Iā€™m really curious, are other experiencing FPS issues? If so, it would really help to know if itā€™s a common issue and if there is more I can do on my end. In general, I will look into more options. I guarantee you the rain effect probably causes the FPS problems and will look into giving players the option to turn it off.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed it being a potatoe, but I just chalked that up to my 2014 machine

1 Like

I havenā€™t noticed any FPS issues, the game stays at a solid 60fps and my GPU never really goes above 40% usage. Maybe an issue for integrated graphics?

2 Likes

I have a 144hz monitor and it does struggle to stay at 144 if Iā€™m on the far edge of a floor and turn to face the rest of it, but Iā€™m consistently above like 80 even then. Without having the fps display on I didnā€™t notice the frame drops.

I really like the game otherwise! There is a bit of a grind to gain weight but in the new build I had both characters at 50 by the time I hit the first weight door without extra grind so I think the pacing is OK currently. I personally would like a more reliable way to fight the golden slimes in the demo, I like that theyā€™re as rare as they are and think in the final game itā€™ll work well, but for the sake of messing around with them and testing itā€™d be fun to have an easier way to bump into em.

Something I noticed is how potent the damage scaling on Queenā€™s attacks is with her weight. She struggles to hurt the cupcake enemies when thin but after a few hundred pounds she will one shot them with her weak aoe. If it ends up being easier to gain weight that may need to be looked at.

Just my two cents tho, this is one of my favorite games on this site and Iā€™m looking forward to more updates!

1 Like