Beginnings of a WG / Inflation-Themed Side Scroller (updated 3/5/2017)

G’d Evening Everyone,

I took advantage of the Humble Bundle ClickTeam Fusion deal that Kostromama posted and put together a playable basic framework for a WG / Inflation-Themed side scrolling platform shooter. I’m considering turning this into a full game if you guys think I should (and if I can get some help with ideas on what to do).

The Concept

The main character is Ellie, a treasure hunter wandering through the depths of an ancient temple in search of yet-undiscovered treasures within. As you might expect the ruins are filled with a myriad of monsters and traps waiting to make her ascent towards fame and fortune a difficult one. Unbeknownst to her however, the creatures residing in the ruins produce a unique venom which causes anyone who comes in contact with it to swell and expand in an extreme way.

Can Ellie recover the hidden treasure and become rich beyond her wildest dreams? Or will she literally end up as the next big thing in archeology?

Themes (for now)

[ul][li]Weight Gain[/li]
[li]Belly Expansion[/li]
[li]Air Inflation / Lighter than Air[/li][/ul]

The Gameplay

I’m still debating on a few different ideas for the game itself. The first idea is to do a platformer with multiple rooms and a few contained puzzles to solve along the way. It’s a bit cliche but if I get some help with the level design I’m sure some of the expansion elements could make it interesting.

The second idea is to make it a race to collect as much treasure as you can and get back to the entrance under a time limit. It would make the gameplay a bit more run and gun but the whole risk-reward balance present a more unique challenge.

[s]Important Question

So what do you guys think? Should I turn this framework into a full-fledged game, or does it belong in the bin with so many other failed experiments?[/s]

Based on the encouraging feedback so far, this project is moving forwards.

Download Links

Latest Build - 20170305

MyAirBridge

Mega.co.nz

Change Log

3/5/2017 ----------------------------

Back on track after a disastrous exercise in HUD design. Looks like I’ll be going with a minimalist HUD for the foreseeable future.

Here’s what’s new:

[ul][li]Re-did the sprites for fattened Ellie to make it stand out better from her other states[/li]
[li]New game over sprite for Ellie when she becomes too fat to move[/li]
[li]Changed the game over sprite for Ellie when she is both fattened and bloated[/li]
[li]Small improvements to icons and treasure chests to help them fit in and stand out, respectively[/li]
[li]Hid the bars for weight/gas and added a small indicator for amount of treasure collected[/li][/ul]

At this point I think I’ll be wrapping up the engine work and focus on building out the levels so that it resembles a game. This might take a little while, but I’ll put it up as soon as I have something.

1/16/2017 ----------------------------

Re-compiled the application with the Compress Executable option set to off, in the hopes that it stops triggering false positives with antivirus software.

1/14/2017 ----------------------------

Just playing with the game engine a bit based on the latest bits of feedback.

[ul][li]Added variable height jump. Tap the up key for a short hop and hold it down for a higher jump. This should help with some of the tougher jumps involving spikes on the ceiling.[/li]
[li]Holding down left, right, and down at the same time should now force a crouched state.[/li]
[li]Very minor tweak to the Mummy AI so they don’t just wander off immediately after attacking.[/li]
[li]Being over-inflated on a moving platform should no longer cause the platform to bug out during the game over sequence.[/li][/ul]

1/12/2017 ----------------------------

Bugfixes, bugfixes and more bugfixes today since JoeRandom so diligently worked through all of the nasty bugs that I left in the last build. Here’s the list of things that should be fixed:

[ul][li]Getting stuck between a moving platform and a backdrop item should no longer cause Ellie to pass through the backdrop[/li]
[li]Evened out the width of the detectors so you can’t walk off off of moving platforms and pass through them[/li]
[li]Game over animations should play properly now, though the animations for the various combinations of exceeding capacity via a combination of being fattened and gassed might seem a bit odd[/li]
[li]Being stung while completely inflated should no longer freeze Ellie[/li]
[li]Scorpion should no longer sting Ellie when she is immobile[/li]
[li]Fine detection enabled for Scorpion hitbox. This should prevent the scorpion from performing telekinetic hits from 5 feet away[/li]
[li]Being hit by poison will always trigger invincibility frames, even if Ellie is at full capacity[/li]
[li]Added credit where credit is due. Going to Help > About now includes a small shout out to the form[/li][/ul]

I think I’m going to have to add a separate game over animation for the mixed third stage, but I’m not sure what. Any ideas are appreciated here.

1/11/2017 ----------------------------

Sometimes you start working on one new feature which leads you to working on another new feature which leads you to recoding some of the core parts of the engine. Go figure. Here’s what’s new this week, in broad strokes:

[ul][li]Reworked the damage system so that weight and gas are now combined, and Ellie has a maximum capacity which she can’t exceed[/li]
[li]Took a stab at a set of sprites to cover the cases that Ellie is both fattened and gassed. Not sure how I like them just yet, may have to redo the weight gain sprites to differentiate them more from the other sprite sets[/li]
[li]Removed the first stage of inflation / weight gain to limit the number of levels. Ellie should be able to take a total of 3 bars of damage without becoming immobile[/li]
[li]Added breakable platforms and hidden underground sections. Head to the right side of the map and fatten Ellie up to her maximum weight to break through the breakable platforms and access the first hidden area.[/li]
[li]Added a new enemy, a scorpion with a venomous stinger. Once stung, Ellie will continuously gain weight until she is at maximum capacity/size. The posion effect currently lasts for a total of 10 seconds.[/li]
[li]Added a few extra food items for the mummy to throw. Each food item travels at a different speed and goes a different distance[/li]
[li]Bug fixes - I’ve tried my best to get the greater majority of the bugs reported so far. I’m sure the more perceptive and helpful members of this forum will find a handful more to squash, which I’ll happily do so as they are discovered[/li][/ul]

I’d like to see what everyone thinks of the new health/damage system as well as the new sprites. If this looks ok I’d like to focus on updating some of the old sprites and prettying up the HUD in preparation to convert the current POC map to an actual game level.

12/27/2016 ---------------------------

It’s mostly bugfixes this time. Since JoeRandom so diligently went through the (admittedly badly tested build) and found all of the breaking bugs in it for me, I just couldn’t leave things in the state that they were.

[ul][li]Changed the hitboxes for many of the objects to be regular and more consistent. This should fix many of the collision and platform bugs[/li]
[li]Updated the moving platform collision code so they behave more like the ground[/li]
[li]Gave Ellie a short period of invincibility after being hit. Getting her to flash correctly took a surprising bit of work to achieve[/li]
[li]Changed the crouching mechanic so the down overrides all other controls. This means you can turn swivel left and right while crouched and you can choose to drop straight down if you hold down while in the air[/li]
[li]Holding both left and right keys should no longer cause Ellie to walk in place, though it still feels a bit weird.[/li]
[li]Treasure counter resets when you reset the game[/li]
[li]Trying out some spikes on the ceiling to see how that goes[/li][/ul]

The good news is that all of this tinkering gave me an idea for how to do the game objective and level design. I won’t spoil anything yet since that will have to come when the game is a little more complete-looking. In the meantime I’ll work on adding some more enemies and some of the special animations associated with some of their attacks.

12/18/2016 ---------------------------

Sorry for the lack of updates of late. Way too much time spent re-doing certain background mechanics around enemies and moving platforms.

[ul][li]Fixed a load of bugs related to having multiple enemies on the screen. Mummies will probably behave a bit different from previous builds.[/li]
[li]Added moving platforms, which have loads of known bugs[/li]
[li]Added the first “collectible” item, a treasure chest. Effects and frills to come at a later point[/li][/ul]

There’s a known problem with many of the platforms right now, as JoeRandom pointed out in a recent post. It has to do with the really strange shape of Ellie’s collision box. I’m trying to work out the best way to solve it

11/30/2016 ---------------------------

[ul][li]Fixed a dumb bug where the 1/2 stage buffer still existed for weight[/li]
[li]Plonked some platforms on the map and adjusted the player collision box to see how it would behave. There isn’t anything up there just yet, just some platforms.[/li]
[li]Figured out how to do the first part of the over-inflated game over animation, so added that in[/li][/ul]

11/29/2016 ---------------------------

[ul][li]Healing now takes twice as long if Ellie is both fattened and bloated. However, she now loses gas and weight at the same time.[/li]
[li]Took out that little bit of buffer that let you survive a hit if you were 1/2 stage under the limit[/li][/ul]

11/28/2016 ---------------------------

Quick and dirty bugfix build:

[ul][li]Re-zipped the files so they shouldn’t come up with an invalid archive error any more when you try to extract them[/li]
[li]Removed a phantom state between Ellie’s biggest size and immobility. So Ellie now has less capacity for fat or gas[/li]
[li]Effects of weight and gas have been magnified and starts affecting Ellie at a smaller size[/li]
[li]Mummy now throws cakes more often and has better player detection[/li][/ul]

11/27/2016 ---------------------------

Thought I’d make good use of the rest of the long weekend and put a new build out there. Here’s what’s new:

[ul][li]Added the first Enemy NPC of the game - A cake-tossing mummy! The mummy will go down after a few bullets and will regenerate after a few seconds of being down.[/li]
[li]Added a game over / immobility mechanic for when Ellie gets too big. Press R to restart if Ellie becomes immobile.[/li]
[li]Added a Pause function - Press [P] to freeze everything in place[/li]
[li]Instructions disappear after 5 seconds so they don’t get in the way[/li][/ul]

The plan is for Ellie to slowly float up in the air and pop like a balloon if she becomes over-filled with gas. I couldn’t get the animation working properly, so that will have to come in a later build.

Next up, I plan to build out more of the level and add another enemy to the mix to develop more of the actual gameplay. This might take a while, any suggestions there would be much appreciated.

11/24/2016 ---------------------------

Thanks to all of your enthusiastic responses, I’ve decided to move forward and will work on turning this demo into a game. Since today was an quiet day, I’ve incorporated some of the basic gameplay changes from discussion in the thread. The full list includes:

[ul][li]Added an inflation mechanism to complement the weight gain with its own set of sprites. Weight and gas are tracked separately so Ellie can get fatter and more inflated at the same time.[/li]
[li]Changed behavior of spikes. Touching environmental hazards will now cause Ellie to bloat with gas[/li]
[li]Added cake to far corner of level. Coming in contact with food will cause Ellie to fatten[/li]
[li]If Ellie fills with enough gas, she can jump higher. However, she won’t be able to aim or shoot as well when she’s ballooned. Effects become more pronounced as her belly becomes more gassy[/li]
[li]If Ellie becomes too fat, she won’t be able to run or jump. But she will be more stable and will be able to fire her gun more rapidly. Effects become more pronounced as she gets chubbier[/li]
[li]How much each factor affects her depends on how much weight / gas she has in her. The fatter she is, the less the gas will affect her and vice-versa.[/li]
[li]Fixed a bug that caused Ellie to “skip” down inclines instead of walking down them[/li][/ul]

Next up:

I’m still working out how some of the gameplay would work. The next set of changes will involve either the first enemy NPC or including immobility / bursting effects if you let Ellie get too big.

11/22/2016 ---------------------------

*Framework / Demo

There isn’t much to it yet. So far you can move Ellie, shoot her gun and interact with an environmental hazard (the grey spikes). The spikes cause her to bloat up a little every time she hits them and she moves slower as she gets bigger. Holding the down key allows her to rest her expanded body and slowly shrink back to normal size.

The plan is that there would be several types of enemies and environmental hazards, each with a different effect on Ellie. Basic damage would cause her to plump up a little and slow her down, where a bigger hit might give her an overstuffed beachball belly which renders her immobile until she can deflate herself.

1 Like

I really like the concept here. I’d personally make it more weight gain based, but that’s just me lol

This seems like it could work. Then again, so did so many other games, but put enough effort and time into it and it’ll get rolling and hopefully stay rolling.

The download appears to be broken, however. Keeps giving me an error while loading up MEGA. Maybe you could put it up on another site?

the game seems to be pretty good early demo, maybe an option to make it either weight gain or inflation, or some enemies make her fat while others inflate her (like spikes make her inflate while a cake makes her fat)

What a truly delightful demo! My vote for more, definitely.
(esp. the heal button was nice touch Imhop)

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I’m trying to bias things towards weight gain too. I just haven’t figured out how to explain why there’s food randomly laying about in an ancient ruin. It’s part of the reason that I went with a “crouch to heal” mechanism instead of pickups to recover your health. If you guys have ideas on how food could work and what effects it could have, I’m all ears.

Also, for those of you who are having trouble with the Mega link, I shoved it up on MyAirBridge. Does this work better?

https://mab.to/K2cJOrRaP

Will she burst if she gets too big, though? Usually, when a character inflates past their limit, they go out with a bang.

MyAirBridge works much better. Thanks!

The demo looks good. I like how you made it so you can’t cheat the system by holding down while running to heal.

As for ideas? It’s an ancient temple, so maybe the food could be part of a curse. Maybe the guardian’s magic and can spawn irresistible food in inconvenient locations. Or maybe you can handwave it off with a simple “it’s best not to think about it.” So many ways you can explain it.

I like where you’re going with this!

My vote says yes! You know, there is a slight elephant in the room though…since we typically-no, guaranteed, like weight gain in our games, and if such things happen when you get hit, it creates a little paradox of “Do we get hit so we get big, or do we keep going?” I’m not putting this game down in any way, I’m just saying the goal should be worth avoiding the thing that’ll (probably) turn us on. But hey, keep up the great work on this.

You beat me to it but maybe the temple goddess could be goddess of gluttony which gives you an excuse to make the final boss and the other bosses fat or food items and this also explains why theirs food lying everywhere. Also I like the idea where spikes inflate and enemies fatten (maybe food shaped enemies such a hamburger that acts like a goomba from Mario) and I personal prefer the first choice for what kind of game.

Whoa. Replies and comments coming in faster than I can respond to them. I think that’s a sign that I need to turn this into a real game.

Bursting is a possibility, just have to figure out how to fit it in. I was thinking of making immobility the penalty for letting Ellie’s weight get too high. But instead of it resulting in a game over, you would be able to regain your mobility in exchange for a big time penalty. I suppose bursting could be a similar penalty for if she gets too inflated, and just have her regenerate with a time penalty.

The more I think about it, the more I want to have some sort of food / stuffing element in there. Half the fun of a WG-themed game is in the process of getting nice and big.

One idea is that the curse wouldn’t affect Ellie until she triggers a trap or is hit by a specific enemy attack. Then the temple could turn against her and start spawning food in random places or put her into situations where she is forced to eat. The effects of the curse would wear off after a short period of time but any weight gained under the curse would remain.

I’ve been thinking of ways to find a way to let players get off on it and get on with it without having to compromise too much in either direction. Being heavier might give Ellie the ability to trigger pressure switches and break through weak parts of the floor to get to areas where she normally wouldn’t be able to. A bigger body means a more stable platform for the gun too, so maybe she’ll be able to shoot faster as her weight goes up.

On a similar vein, being blown up with gas would let Ellie jump higher and make it easier to reach treasures located towards the top of the map. But she wouldn’t be able to aim too well if she’s bouncing all over the place so her rate of fire would go down dramatically. Plus who says that there aren’t some poison-tipped spikes on the ceiling ready to inflate her past her breaking point?

[quote=“ver6, post:12, topic:1109”]Whoa. Replies and comments coming in faster than I can respond to them. I think that’s a sign that I need to turn this into a real game.

Bursting is a possibility, just have to figure out how to fit it in. I was thinking of making immobility the penalty for letting Ellie’s weight get too high. But instead of it resulting in a game over, you would be able to regain your mobility in exchange for a big time penalty. I suppose bursting could be a similar penalty for if she gets too inflated, and just have her regenerate with a time penalty.

The more I think about it, the more I want to have some sort of food / stuffing element in there. Half the fun of a WG-themed game is in the process of getting nice and big.

One idea is that the curse wouldn’t affect Ellie until she triggers a trap or is hit by a specific enemy attack. Then the temple could turn against her and start spawning food in random places or put her into situations where she is forced to eat. The effects of the curse would wear off after a short period of time but any weight gained under the curse would remain.

I’ve been thinking of ways to find a way to let players get off on it and get on with it without having to compromise too much in either direction. Being heavier might give Ellie the ability to trigger pressure switches and break through weak parts of the floor to get to areas where she normally wouldn’t be able to. A bigger body means a more stable platform for the gun too, so maybe she’ll be able to shoot faster as her weight goes up.

On a similar vein, being blown up with gas would let Ellie jump higher and make it easier to reach treasures located towards the top of the map. But she wouldn’t be able to aim too well if she’s bouncing all over the place so her rate of fire would go down dramatically. Plus who says that there aren’t some poison-tipped spikes on the ceiling ready to inflate her past her breaking point?[/quote]

First off, excellent work! This looks very promising, and Ellie is a cutie pie! I look forward to seeing what direction you go with this!

Secondly, I’m not sure it’s really necessary to make it easy/practical to progress while she’s expanded. If the gameplay presents a fun and fair challenge, then the expansion-themed penalties will be a normal part of gameplay without having to build the levels around accommodating a constantly rotund PC.

That said, it might be an amusing twist if you need to deliberately fatten or inflate your character to get past certain puzzles! :wink:

Avast seems to be treating the .exe as hostile. More than likely a false positive but I would appreciate if anyone else has had problems. For everyone else, I would recommend scanning it just in case. Not accusing OP of anything, just being safe.

Thanks! I will admit that Ellie and many of the various other sprites / graphics that will appear in the game are based on a bunch of royalty-free sprites that I bought for another project that never got off the ground. I use Illustrator and Spriter to add the effects I need (like the facial expressions and different body sizes) and build the animations in Spriter. It’s fast and it lets me do a lot of sprite work in a short period of time. As things develop I’ll try to include more and more fully original artwork.

Hmm. I’ve heard of this happening with some ClickTeam Fusion games, though I can’t seem to get a definitive answer on why. I’ll take a look and see why it might be happening.

If it makes you guys feel better though I’d be happy to share the Clickteam Fusion source file for this demo application. In fact, here it is.

PS: Feel free to make fun of my lack of ClickTeam Fusion skills. And to suggest how I could do a things better or faster if you notice anything weird in the “code”.

How do I run the game?

You should just be able to unzip and run the .exe file on your PC. If you’re trying to open the .mfa source code file, you’ll need a copy of ClickTeam Fusion to see it. But that’s just so you can see what the program does - you don’t need it to play.

There was an exe file? Strange. I didn’t get one; I’ll try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Evening everyone,

I took some of the suggestions and ideas that came out of the thread so far and fleshed out some of the weight / inflation mechanics. Change log and links to the latest version have been added to the first post in the thread.

Let me know what you think of the latest changes and what I should work on next.

V