Beginnings of a WG / Inflation-Themed Side Scroller (updated 3/5/2017)

That’s strange. I’m on Win 10 with Windows defender, Malwarebytes and HerdProtect all installed and none of them found anything with the files or the download pages (also downloaded the files from Mega and MAB and scanned those too, with no detections). Are you on default settings with Windows Defender?

I am also on Windows 10 and have Malwarebytes. The Windows Defender real-time protection threw the flag for me. My Windows Defender settings in the Windows 10 menu for its settings are all on, including the real-time protection setting (I believe this is default). Version details from the WinDef settings screen below.

If it’s of any help, the download for each link was stopped in the same way, detecting the same thing shown in my last post.

My personal opinion is that Windows Defender is a pile of ass, but I can’t recommend the average joe to turn it off. Maybe check your computer using something like AVG free, Hijackthis, or Avast to make sure your download is not being hijacked by something else.

Well, after spending the last hour or so futzing with VirusTotal, I figured out that enabling the “Compress Executables” option in ClickTeam Fusion tends to trigger false positives with some virus engines. I’ve re-uploaded the same exact build from 1/14 with that option turned off in case that works better for you guys.

It definitely did, thanks man! Download runs smoothly now. Apologies on how long it took.

I agree. I had disabled it previously, but it got flipped back on likely after an update, just in time to flag this false positive.

Microsoft gold attached

Yeah, that message reminds me of the “SOMETHING HAPPENED Something Happened :(” blue screen error back during the early days of Windows 10.

Sorry for the lack of updates or news these past few weeks. I’m in the middle of a long-overdue process of refreshing my development box, which hasn’t seen a clean slate OS reinstall since the days of Windows 8.1. I should be back up and running in a day or two, and will hopefully have the newly acquired UI assets incorporated into the game shortly after.

V

Yay, life!

Well, that little foray into HUD design went completely in the wrong direction, so I ended up rolling almost everything back. Apologies for the extended period of radio silence. Though I am kind of glad you didn’t have to see the disaster that I had brewing up.

So instead I’ve done an overhaul of Ellie’s sprites and added some iconography updates to help make things cleaner. If this looks ok, I plan to transition to level design for the next build.

As always, thank you for your patience and any and all feedback is appreciated.

V

Glad to see you’re still working on this! I like the new sprites, it seems easier to differentiate between weight gain and inflation now.

I, too, am glad to see you’re still okay. Not just active, but okay in general.

Can’t say I agree with the new fat sprites. They look a little off somehow…I can’t exactly compare them side-by-side, though, since I didn’t rename the older version so I could actually keep it. Who knows, this might look a little better. But can we get a comparison here, please?

The rest, I’m more or less indifferent on. The removal of the bloat bar, the treasure icon/counter change, the new game over animation, I think they’re good, but I’m more interested in weeding out bugs, honestly. Someone else here might be able to supply you with more feedback about that. Though, the combination game over seems to be the exact same as before. Nevertheless, can’t wait to see how you handle the level!

[i][font=times new roman]So…I may have found a buggy mummy with this build.

The mummy that stands upon the platform above the first two you encounter, right? I shot him just as he was throwing food, and it didn’t complete the arc, resulting in a lower arc. Also, he started trying to always go left, then bugging into switching left then right then left again at ludicrous speed. Not sure how helpful this’ll be, but I hope this helps none the less.

Also, on how the two fat sprites compared: Newer one resulted in it being more lumpy and square, old one was a round oval. It’s fine, though a little off putting, perhaps find a happy middle somewhere? Maybe make the game over sprite bigger, since it doesn’t look that much bigger than what she could handle with her final fatness stage? Just a suggestion.[/font][/i]

If you’d like to see everything side by side, here’s the previous build:

Build 20170116:

I also have sprite animation sheets that I can upload, though it’s one sheet per animation sequence and there’s a lot of them.

The belly portions of the sprites are pretty easy to swap in and out though. If you guys have examples of what you’d like the belly shape to look like, I’d be very interested in seeing them.

I played with the belly shapes for the two “heavy Ellie” sprites a bit. Does this look better to you guys?

Proposed New Idle Animation:

Current Idle Animation (as of Build 20170305)

I’d say that’s quite an improvement! The new animations look a lot more “natural” to me.

I honestly prefer the old one. This new one’s too balloon-shaped; reminds me more of water based inflation than weight gain. Or maybe belly stuffing?

I could add some details into the sprite to make her look more fat and less inflated. Maybe add some folds / rolls or make her arms and legs bigger?

Something to that effect would be appreciated, but for what it is, it works. Yet, an extra fold or two, maybe larger limbs would define the stages a bit clearer. I like where this is going, don’t get me wrong.

Chubby up those cheeks! A fatter face might help sell the look. Fatter limbs would be appreciated, but might not be worth the effort.

Tried two different faces and increased the size of the arms and legs slightly. What do you think about these three?

V