Bug Reports

I have trouble saving from slot 5-8 in the latest build. It just keeps saying error. I also can’t overwrite my saves anymore and I’m in day 515 and 2570 lbs if you need that info

This sounds like a symptom of a known problem where the browser save-storage area gets full (especially with “lengthy” games, like yours) and throws errors on a new save/replace. Unfortunately I haven’t found an ideal solution.

Something to try would be to delete one of the existing slots, and see if that allows you to write a new one. It’s not an ideal workaround, and the problem may get worse if your game continues.

I do appreciate the report though. I’m a little surprised you saw this with only 4 slots filled, since I had taken steps to reduce the save size and thought it was more difficult to hit the limit.

Deleted a few of my saves and yup it worked. I did save quite frequently lol. Hopefully there would be an effective solution for the limit of the save-storage area in the near future

1 Like

How do you actually get the Donna stuff going? She just runs away whenever I ask her to bring the cookies to me.

@pizzajunky334 It isn’t straightforward:

Once you move into Paul’s place use you points to order cookies 4 times. The first three times don’t allow Donna to come down. On the fourth time allow her down. You have to do this before some other weight related event happens (I can’t remember which one) so take it easy on the gaining until Donna has seen you.

Thanks @dingotush

Yeah, I can’t remember if the total number of times is 3 or 4 – but that exchange can be less than obvious (which is why I mention it in the quick start guide).

Donna was intended to be a bit of a reward for those who figure it out, since she unlocks two of the three “better” endings. There’s actually a counter, so that you have to give her space before the “come in” option works. Her dialogue changes slightly each time, becoming more comfortable with each uneventful delivery. The key line is when she mentions her “big spender down there”.

I thought that might be it but I didn’t wait long enough when I tried it. Thanks for the reply…

The project website and build links aren’t working. What happened?

Looks fine on my side.

The files are hosted on cheap equipment though a small ISP, so a service hiccup wouldn’t surprise me. Seems to be working though. Let me know if anyone’s having more issues.

I found a bug that when you make the decision to move in and choose the “tomorrow” option, it then has you repeat the Mysterious Something event at the start of the game. It did it twice, so I’m not sure if it is due to the browser (Windows 10 for me) or due to me gaining weight a bit too fast that the game is having a hiccup.

I can see where rapid weight gain at the beginning could break some of my assumptions in the code.

The “mysterious something” scene typically comes up between turn number 2 and 8 (depending on how long you put off Uncle’s request to see him). If you gain enough to get the “move in” options before that’s done, the events might get crossed up.

Let me know if when observing this glitch, you already saw the “mysterious something” scene earlier. If it’s appearing again (or multiple times), that’s a bit more broken than I thought, and I may have to dig a bit deeper.

Thanks for the report.

Well I didn’t use the weight cheat, however my gluttony was high when it did happen (overfed). I had also gotten the door to waist ratio event just before finding the bug, but wasn’t trapped in my room yet or immobile.
The second time it happened I had used the uncle credit cheat as the bug took al of the credits and reduced it to 5.

Found the issue, and a new build is available to stomp this particular bug.

For anyone who might have experienced this glitch, it only happened if “tomorrow” is chosen during the move-in event. Honestly, this option is usually poor value for your credits, and I may have overlooked this one due to inadequate testing and player bias. XD

Thanks again for the report, and for checking out the game.

1 Like

I’ve repeatedly come across a bug. If you reach the “trapped in room” milestone while afflicted with food poisoning, stomach distress, or any other illnesses which affect your food intake, those illnesses don’t get cleared out when you hit that milestone. The illnesses also don’t expire after the milestone, no matter how long you continue beyond it. This is in contrast to other injuries/ailments (e.g. fatigue, twisted knee, food coma, etc) which are automatically ended as soon as you hit the “trapped in room” milestone. This happens regardless of whether you’re living with Paul at the time or not.

I’ve also noticed that the text of the “medium ending” still refers to your character as being in their mid-20s, even though the character’s age was increased in a past game update.

A final bug I noticed… if you cheat your way to immobility sometime after day 100, but before you achieve it through normal means, when you go to do a medical study, it gives an absurdly long wait before you’re allowed to undergo the study. I’ve only encountered this once, so I don’t have more info about it.

Edit: one more thing I noticed. It seems the update you posted a couple weeks ago doesn’t show up when you go to “play latest build.” The most recent version of the game available to play is from March of this year.

First of all, thanks so much for signing up to make the detailed report! I appreciate that you’ve spent some time with this game. I’ve prepared a new build based on your feedback.

I’ve repeatedly come across a bug. If you reach the “trapped in room” milestone while afflicted with food poisoning, stomach distress, or any other illnesses which affect your food intake, those illnesses don’t get cleared out when you hit that milestone. The illnesses also don’t expire after the milestone, no matter how long you continue beyond it. This is in contrast to other injuries/ailments (e.g. fatigue, twisted knee, food coma, etc) which are automatically ended as soon as you hit the “trapped in room” milestone. This happens regardless of whether you’re living with Paul at the time or not.

I think I’ve figured this one out. The “mobility” problems that happen before getting stuck are treated differently from the illnesses that come later. I missed a logic check to dismiss any remaining problems when the the “stuck in room” event makes them irrelevant. This was actually happening for any pre-immobility status, but the ones that affect food intake were more visible since the warning continued to appear on the status bar.

I’ve also noticed that the text of the “medium ending” still refers to your character as being in their mid-20s, even though the character’s age was increased in a past game update.
See it. Fixed it. Thanks for that.

A final bug I noticed… if you cheat your way to immobility sometime after day 100, but before you achieve it through normal means, when you go to do a medical study, it gives an absurdly long wait before you’re allowed to undergo the study. I’ve only encountered this once, so I don’t have more info about it.

I think I’ve got this one fixed too. The “skip to act two” cheat option made a quick-and-dirty jump to day 100 in-game. I originally used this for debugging and always made that jump right after starting the game. If you use it after day 100, it happily took you back in time. Then freaked out the math-check for making sure week passes between medical studies. (Which wanted to wait until a week after that visit you made before going back in time. XD)
Long story short, now it doesn’t change the date if you’re already beyond 100 days.

Edit: one more thing I noticed. It seems the update you posted a couple weeks ago doesn’t show up when you go to “play latest build.” The most recent version of the game available to play is from March of this year.

Might try refreshing the page if this persists. Seems alright from this end.

Oh yeah, I’ve spent quite a lot of time with this game lol. On the whole it’s very enjoyable. The only critiques I’d have about it are minimal.

I think I’ve figured this one out. The “mobility” problems that happen before getting stuck are treated differently from the illnesses that come later. I missed a logic check to dismiss any remaining problems when the the “stuck in room” event makes them irrelevant. This was actually happening for any pre-immobility status, but the ones that affect food intake were more visible since the warning continued to appear on the status bar.

I’m pretty sure that the effect of diminished appetite didn’t go away. I remember that it was always very slow going whenever I’d end up trapped in the room with digestion issues, because the character’s intake would always be halved even days or weeks later. It wasn’t just that the warning was still there - the condition never expired like it was supposed to. Once you get to immobility and have access to illness cures, the game also didn’t recognize the illness as still being there, so there was no option to cure it. I haven’t replayed with the update to see if this is still the case.

Edit: okay, I’ve checked and it seems fixed. Sorry if I wasn’t 100% clear with my initial explanation of the bug.

1 Like

Same goes for my explanation. And it would all be simpler if that code were done better in the first place. But yes, I believe the appetite modifier is properly canceled in the updated build. Thanks again, and don’t be afraid to let me know if more stuff broke. XD

Hey, I came across another bug. I’m not sure if it’s related to the save file I’m playing from, the fact that I’ve used cheats to raise my PC’s weight ahead-of-time, or what. The issue itself only started cropping up about a week ago. Specifically, I sometimes have issues when picking a medical study (so far just the meal replacement studies, I haven’t tried the other two) where the game will return “Error: Research Topic Selection Failure”. It seems that in the same file, I will often encounter little ‘purple box’ errors that flash up and disappear too quickly for me to read them, as well. I have also on occasion had milestone events repeat themselves, again with the same file. Not sure if it’s a problem with the game or just a problem with the file, but I thought I’d report it anyways.

Thanks for the report, though I’ll admit for the moment I’m a bit baffled by the issues you’re seeing. No luck reproducing them yet.

The quickly flashing purple box errors are coming from the Twine Engine, and are difficult to isolate because of the way I’m calling code (from several sections) on each page refresh. Usually it does come back to a syntax error I’ve made, or a bad piece of save data.

It is possible it’s something in that save file, but I’m not going to assume that’s the case. If you (or anyone else) is seeing something similar, I’d appreciate any anecdotal reports about the setup. How much did you cheat on weight?

As for that research topic error: the ‘topic’ flag is set in the game when you click on the topic, and that particular error should only appear if the flag isn’t set. I’m not sure how to reproduce this yet. XD