Burgomatic (BellyBelting and cocoacaesar's submission)

I agree with AlexKay’s review, this was a nice brain teaser to work on. Art looks clean, mechanics are consistent, all in all this plays well.

Ended up brute-forcing my solution for the final level.

I do feel that the tutorial (or, just the access thereof) warrants a bit of a touch-up. There doesn’t seem to be a way to easily refer back to the manual once you’ve entered a level, so at the very least, adding a back to menu/manual button would be a great QOL feature.

2 Likes

I getcha. As it stands the full (heh) side-profile is on display. Keeping the angle of the upper arm the same, you could still have her forearm brought to the front so that her hands are resting atop her thighs in line with the angle of her leg. You wouldn’t obscure the belly but you’d lose a little on the curve or her butt, alas!

Also, for those who want to see an infinite loop of burgers (with da works):

3 Likes

Google Drive says the file is dangerous. :frowning:

Can someone provide me with a solution to all the levels? I cannot figure out for the life of me how to operate the machine and what those smybols mean, theyre hyroglyphs for me. I never learned programming or something like that. So i would really appreacite it if someone gave me all the solutions, i still wanna enjoy the “assets” of the manager. For me, this game is way to complicated, its a fetish game, i dont get why u had to make it so hard

If you want to see all the pictures, you can just open up the graphics folder. Nothing is encrypted. Alternatively, you can open save.txt and set it to whatever level you want to be on.
Maybe hard games are my fetish.

1 Like

Really cool game, I enjoyed the puzzle aspect of it! I can see why other people who maybe haven’t approached this type of puzzle in the past would find some difficulty in understanding how to progress, but I hope that there’s more to come!

It took me reading through the tutorial a few times but overall I really enjoy this game. Reminds me a lot of Zachtronic’s games. The art is great and the gameplay is actually fun.

visual guide would be nice, but trial and error works as well. Right click for empty and holding click to fill would have been nice. Overall good game, decently hard and coders have an advantage. The skip and loop are good, however the loop i mainly used to lock machines and skip can go unused completely at times. If the game need X number for burgers to pass a level then skip and loop would become important.
Overall i would say 7/10. Lack right click and hold click to multi place are -1 imo, and the lack of visual guide is a -1, the final -1 is for the flipping function and suction function being very important but even though i read the text guide i was very surprised to beat the final level easily due to the suction function on accident.
A larger version of this game could be really cool though.

I just unzipped the .rar and see the game in C++ with SDL2 :smiley:

Been working a lot with SDL2, but mostly in assignments. That already gave me a laugh.

This hits Very home to have a programming game in this jam XD

Wonderful entry and brain Wrinkler at that.

I’m going to pop out of the shadows for just five seconds:
This game is genuinely entertaining. One of the few of this gamejam that are. At least in my opinion.
That said, the tutorial needs serious work.
You can give the best explanations, with the clearest and most polished presentation. And it still won’t matter any if it does not teach your players what to do.

The best way to achieve this is, in this case, to have a short tutorial level. Order the explanations based on priority.
What is essential for the player to understand to play the game? What knowledge do they need to have to be able to even start messing around with things?
In this case, the applicators and swappers.
Which, currently, are on the tail end of the tutorial.
So, start by explaining what the player’s objective is. Then, present the concept of swappers, and explain that’s how you get the burger to the not yet fatty. Ideally, this is the chance you’d want to take to show what a basic cycle looks like. Make the player “fire swappers in an alternation” to get a prebuilt burger to the character. Once that is done, explain that firing adjacent swappers at the same time will abort execution. Show it happening.
Then, once swappers are done, explain applicators. Have the player create a basic burger, so they understand how swappers and applicators interact in gameplay. After this, you’d only really need to explain the conditional button. And while creating a stage for its tutorialization would be cool, I don’t think it’d be entirely necessary.

Oh, and, on a final note: Proofread the tutorial. It’s already hard to read. The lack of periods and commas does not help in the slightest.

8 Likes

Am a simple bastard, but even I managed to get through the game using exclusively 1s, skips and good old trial and error.

Nice, enjoyable little puzzle game and the manager, though a complete bitch, is cute and it’s fun to see her fatten up. Reckon ya did a good job here, mates.

I like the idea, however, i feel as if the open and close loops are kinda useless and im stuck on the four by four because i don’t know the recipe

You may have answered your own question here a little bit. Open and close loops might give you the help you need for the 4 by 4.

Yeah i have no clue how this works lol. Plz help

from what I surmise, when you use 1 on the top with something selected in the white box, the item will drop and 2 will get rid of the item right underneath it. 1 on the swapper will move the item to the left onto the adjacent swapper,2 will move it to the right.

I don’t the rest because I have no clue on how to use it, of course, the X is waiting and blank it will just go back to block one in the sequence.

for the open and close loops; every time I try to use them I get an error so I figured I can do it by good old sequencing, However, I’m not sure if I need three patties and four cheese with the last cheese being right under the bun or four patties with four cheese with the last cheese being right under the bun. The picture is really hard to decipher for me personally.

4x4 is four patties and four cheese, so you’ll need to loop the adding of patties and cheese to a bottom bun and have a conditional to break the loop so as to add the top bun and deliver the completed burger.

But what if I want a double triple bossy deluxe, on a raft, four-by-four animal-style with extra shingles, a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim

7 Likes

We serve food here, sir.

For anyone still stuck on the 4x4 and wanting a solution, see below:

Smack that conditional button once the fourth cheese slice in placed to crown your king.

2 Likes

This game feels more like I’m coding a videogame than playing one. And not in a fun, rewarding way. It’s really tedious. The whole ‘feeding machine’ thing would have been better if just had clear ‘left’ ‘right’ ‘stack’ etc. buttons in a single string of inputs.

4 Likes