🐍 Calamity Cobra in "A Sweet Surprise" (V1.0 - Gain Jam Ready!!)

After reading this thread, the series of replies intrigued me, so I went to see for myself how the game was, and after ~5 hours of playing I can say this was an enjoyable experience despite the frustrations me and my poor hand had to endure with getting used to the control scheme. In fact I even managed to beat the main game without upgrades to see if I could get any of the special endings (didn’t work, don’t attempt), so it was captivating at least.

I haven’t been able to experience NG+ much unfortunately - every time I got past wave 10 the game would proceed to the ending but it would immediately fade out and cut back to the title screen… unless I tabbed out beforehand, in which case I’d be able to right click (left click would just bring you back to the title screen) and the buttons would show up. Couldn’t quite make it to the second ending but I’ll try some more tomorrow.

Anyways, onto my personal feedback:

Summary
  • The controls seem to be the most controversial topic thus far so I’ll address them first. I could go into a tangent regarding my opinion on whether controls being made cumbersome for the sake of extra challenge is a valid game design decision but I’ll leave that for some other time. As of now however, the ergonomical implications and the effects it has on some of the game features (like redirecting snakes being a worse alternative to just getting more of them and spamming) are good reasons to opt for a more traditional WASD + mouse control scheme instead.

Note: It looks like the WASD controls will be implemented, but I felt like giving my two cents anyway because I thought it would be useful to have another opinion on the matter.

• With a game that requires such precision and mastery of the mechanics in order to be able to get the two special endings, it’s an odd choice to have most of it up to chance. The end-of-wave cash and enemy drops seem to be all over the place, and it means something when that difference means you can suddenly buy triple the upgrades than you were able to just last attempt, or be able to tank 4 waves because you got lucky with a bunch of weight loss items.

I believe the simplest way to solve this issue would be to just have a rotating table of set drops enemies can use whenever they die. It’s predictable, sure, but I bet the player would appreciate it on NG+ and that way you can ensure they have an experience you can control with a tighter grip.

• As other people have pointed out before me, the redirect ability (although I found it pretty fun to use and have been making heavy use of) isn’t as good to invest into as just doubling down on snake spam. Not only is it much harder to use effectively, the fact that you move while doing so makes it so that you’re actively risking failing a wave by using it and also have to forgo a redirect you’re already committed to if an enemy spawns close by or you need to move away otherwise. The two mechanics clash heavily and as a result, spamming snakes is both a better and easier to execute strategy.

As pointed out by other people, the annoyances that come with relying on redirects would be solved by implementing the WASD scheme so it’s not much of an issue. However, a feature I think would be quite fun to mess around with and make redirects the go-to option if you want to shoot for a high score is to introduce a combo system (players get more money/better drops the more enemies they defeat with a single snake), which would also have the nice side effect of making endings easier to attain (1 million cash sounds pretty unrealistic to me but I guess we’ll see what becomes of that later on).

• Bit of a minor nitpick, but what’s the deal with snakes placing drops JUST short of touching you? Most of the time it doesn’t matter as you can just walk a bit into them to collect the drops, but sometimes it can prevent you from getting the drop altogether, either due to there just being too many things going on at once or you spamming snakes and them being stuck in an endless loop of grabbing and dropping the item in question. Why not have them move a bit more so you can collect the drop without doing anything?

And now for the good points:

Summary
  • As a result of the demographic that would want to be in a site of this type, most people here play games casually and prefer easier games, so having a game as challenging as this one is a nice thing to see, even if it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Getting better results with more skill is a ratio that can be difficult to get right without making the game less fun, but I feel like you struck a nice balance, minus my comments on the last section of the post. It also helps with giving the game a longer lifespan before you get bored of it.

• Aside from the gameplay, this game has really, really solid world design and art. Although they might not have said it, I’m sure everyone here like seeing snake ladies (and especially snake ladies getting fat), but even if she wasn’t a snake I feel like Calamity Cobra could still be a very interesting character - you did a great job at getting across the mysterious, no-nonsense bounty hunter character with both the writing, the cutscenes and her sprite.

I’ll certainly have this game in my mind for a long time, whether it be because of the characters and setting or because I’m going crazy trying to get the better endings. Hope you keep working on it post-jam!

• Props to the composer, the music is great and really fits the game environment, even if the intro song might take heavy inspiration from another. I’ve tried my hand at making music before and failed horrendously, so I definitely respect anyone who can do so (and well) a lot.

Overall, this is a really nice entry! I’ll regret going to sleep this late when I wake up tomorrow but at least the hours I’ve spent playing and writing about the game (even if the feedback won’t be useful at this height of the championship) were entertaining. I certainly appreciate how communicative you are and how generous you are with letting other people use what you made as well. I’m not good at drawing but I might make some fanart of this at one point in the future.

2 Likes

great post! will reply more in depth to this when I’m done. there’s a big laundry list of things and features that glanced my mind and indeed a combo system was one of them. but it all came down to time!

ALSO THE GAME IS READY AND DONE FOR THE JAM! CHECK THE OP! I HIT A POST LIMIT BECAUSE I’M A NEW USER AND I DON’T WANT TO WAIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2 Likes

Seems like NG+2 is my limit atm, i could get further with some extra attempts but i want to give the other game jam games a go too, so. I’ll say it was a fun time and it’s not common to see games that get relatively hard on this website, a lot ot them tend to be piss easy xd.

2 Likes

Got to try the update gotta admit, i confused myself trying to use the right mouse since i’ve gotten used to it LOL but i can put myself back in the right mindset, shame you couldn’t get the up and down sprites in time but oh well. Otherwise good work~!

2 Likes

I like the idea but I feel this game needs more mechanics to pull off what it’s trying to do.
Maybe more gun types, upgrades, some sort of shield that will absorb a hit, maybe a scor multiplier as well.

2 Likes
  • With a game that requires such precision and mastery of the mechanics in order to be able to get the two special endings, it’s an odd choice to have most of it up to chance. The end-of-wave cash and enemy drops seem to be all over the place, and it means something when that difference means you can suddenly buy triple the upgrades than you were able to just last attempt, or be able to tank 4 waves because you got lucky with a bunch of weight loss items.

our skill CAN influence the amount of cash you gain, as you get a cash bonus based on the number of enemies you kill in a given wave. if you tank a wave by getting fat, you won’t get the cash bonus killing the rest of the wave’s enemies can offer.

but yes I can understand, having the main source of your cash be mostly random and being rewarded for that is probably unsatisfying at times.

• As other people have pointed out before me, the redirect ability (although I found it pretty fun to use and have been making heavy use of) isn’t as good to invest into as just doubling down on snake spam. Not only is it much harder to use effectively, the fact that you move while doing so makes it so that you’re actively risking failing a wave by using it and also have to forgo a redirect you’re already committed to if an enemy spawns close by or you need to move away otherwise. The two mechanics clash heavily and as a result, spamming snakes is both a better and easier to execute strategy.

With the changes in the control scheme no longer making you move when you redirect, redirects are easier to go for and you don’t have to think about positioning as much. As said in a previous post, enemies do get tankier in NG+, and the exponentially increasing damage of a redirected snake can help take down the bloated health pools of enemies.

• Bit of a minor nitpick, but what’s the deal with snakes placing drops JUST short of touching you? Most of the time it doesn’t matter as you can just walk a bit into them to collect the drops, but sometimes it can prevent you from getting the drop altogether, either due to there just being too many things going on at once or you spamming snakes and them being stuck in an endless loop of grabbing and dropping the item in question. Why not have them move a bit more so you can collect the drop without doing anything?

This one I did notice while developing the game and it’s due to the snakes being removed before the hitcircle of the collectible they’re carrying touches yours. Initially, I found it kinda funny that they left the goodies just shy of where you are, so I left it in, but upon seeing your post I was going to program that in last-minute but alas there wasn’t enough time.

• As a result of the demographic that would want to be in a site of this type, most people here play games casually and prefer easier games, so having a game as challenging as this one is a nice thing to see, even if it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Getting better results with more skill is a ratio that can be difficult to get right without making the game less fun, but I feel like you struck a nice balance, minus my comments on the last section of the post. It also helps with giving the game a longer lifespan before you get bored of it.

I do prefer my games having some bite to it. I made sure each of the three (four?) enemies would all be different and create emergent gameplay in how they’re set up. There wasn’t enough of them to get where I wanted, but again, had to make this in nine days and I wanted to keep it very light.

• Aside from the gameplay, this game has really, really solid world design and art. Although they might not have said it, I’m sure everyone here like seeing snake ladies (and especially snake ladies getting fat), but even if she wasn’t a snake I feel like Calamity Cobra could still be a very interesting character - you did a great job at getting across the mysterious, no-nonsense bounty hunter character with both the writing, the cutscenes and her sprite.

yessssssssssssssssss I love snake ladies so much. when I saw the gain jam prompts I was like “how can I incorporate a snake woman into this?” i don’t recall how EXACTLY I conceived of the character but I was suppose like “‘greedy’ snake…aha! rugged Western bounty hunter!” and the game kinda evolved from there.

I’ll certainly have this game in my mind for a long time, whether it be because of the characters and setting or because I’m going crazy trying to get the better endings. Hope you keep working on it post-jam!

that’s awesome!! i try to make characters and worlds that are visually appealing and stick with you.

• Props to the composer, the music is great and really fits the game environment, even if the intro song might take heavy inspiration from another. I’ve tried my hand at making music before and failed horrendously, so I definitely respect anyone who can do so (and well) a lot.

he’s @bugsinplanters on twitter, go thank him!

i was probably going to fetch some stock music for the game and grab a microphone and record some stuff myself, but when I was talking to him he brought up that he could do sound design and he did it totally for free! i’m totally helpless when it comes to composing so it was awesome to have someone who could do that for me. i probably would’ve grabbed some permissively licensed music had he’d not been around.

I’m not good at drawing but I might make some fanart of this at one point in the future.

yessssss please!

1 Like

I like the idea but I feel this game needs more mechanics to pull off what it’s trying to do.
Maybe more gun types, upgrades, some sort of shield that will absorb a hit, maybe a scor multiplier as well.

lots of ideas graced my head but because I had to get it out in nine days I had to keep it REAL tight. here are some mechanics I thought of while working on it, and a little postmortem on what’s in the game and what wasn’t:

• A combo system that rewards you, ala what mosquito suggested. Chain a snake into hitting multiple enemies for a reward.
  • More enemies, of course. All dessert-themed. I was thinking of an enemy that stops and charges very quickly at you (unlike Cuppers, the cupcakes, that slowly hop up). I wanted some cute candy enemies but they’re all baked goods for now.
  • Crumblers (the big cake enemies) would squish and instantly kill any enemies that come below them, so you could easily dispatch other enemies that were in the way and there would be some strategy there in leading them into them.
  • For the visual side, in addition to the scrapped up/down sprites (which I did want in), I also wanted a “swallowing” sprite that shows CC getting damaged, and an “fourth” stage of fatness that would show before cutting to the failure ending. More time would probably mean more sweet sprites of her getting fatter but I was really pushing my limited spriting skills so I had to make due.
  • There would be more animation in general; Cuppers (cupcakes) would actually hop instead of sliding across the ground. But because I MANUALLY programmed the shadows of individual enemiey (very stupid) it was too much effort.
  • Originally, the lifetime upgrade was just a simple damage upgrade, but because I think raw statistical boosts are sorta lame, redirects became the only way to deal more damage instead, which I think was a smart move.
  • I wasn’t too happy with some of the sprites. Not only are my spriting skills limited, I was ofc very pressed for time so I couldn’t go back and revisit much of them; the Berserk sprite being one. There are some other spriting errors such as the lightning being inconsistent on some of them.

Again, if there is interest, I would be happy to revisit this! If you have any more cool feature ideas, do let me know in case I do ever want to come back.

And just to encourage people to go further in this game, whoever can send me a video of a full run that gets the best ending will get a free draw request from me.

3 Likes

I did a run through of this final version myself and there ARE a few bugs I’ll acknowledge just now so others will know:

• When clearing the game and moving, you’ll get stuck moving for a bit before the game fades to the ending. This wasn’t a problem in the past versions but what are ya gonna do
  • When moving onto NG+, the wave GUI thing won’t update until you clear the next wave (it’ll display Wave 10 instead of Wave 1 NG+) Swore I had this fixed too but it broke I suppose.
  • Sometimes keyboard input won’t be accepted; click on the terminal below the game window and it should work.
  • I didn’t actually change the ending threshold values. I thought I did. I changed the text but they’re still $100,000 and $1,000,000. Oooooooops.

I did a run through to try and get the best ending but even I couldn’t do it. I got too fat from so many Chippers surronding me with bullets on the final wave of NG+2. I probably should’ve reduced it even more, but that’s no longer a possibility. If you can get the best ending, you are a CERTIFIED god gamer.

2 Likes

Really Fun game, tricky to get on the first run but quicky learn on the play and it was good ^^

I will say if it show your character getting bigger and bigger that would be nice, but Overall a good solid game ^^

2 Likes

I will say if it show your character getting bigger and bigger that would be nice

she gets bigger now!!

4 Likes

Oh cool well best play is again now XD

2 Likes

This game’s two final endings are currently nigh impossible to get (they’re bugged and still at the original values, which I doubt anyone is going to obtain), so I’ll go ahead and post them here.

Once this Gain Jam’s judging is all concluded, I’ll upload a hotfixed version online of the game with all those little nagging things solved.

After that, I might just start rewriting this game and polish it up into something even better! More sprites! More endings! More enemies! More upgrades! More powerups! Better art! You can fullscreen the game! Whatever it would be! If you have any ideas for those, feel free to post them!

5 Likes

Good Ending: The dev continues to develop the game.

3 Likes

Good Ending: The dev continues to develop the game.

3 Likes

And here I was feeling bad about losing at the last level of NG+1 while sitting just over $50k. Good to know I wasn’t that close after all, haha.

1 Like

Phew! I just pulled off a NG+ and wanted to voice thoughts. I actually played this game back when it was just mouse controls and that alone really got me engaged. Having to choose between shooting and moving is a strong gameplay mechanic for a wave horde mode game and that was especially true here. When I heard you were going for keyboard controls I was a bit sad about it, but then I realized that only mouse control made one of your key gameplay features (redirection of the snake) not worth the effort of using. Typically I just spammed snakes since it was hard to pull off the redirection tactic. I also ended up not getting a lot of money either. The keyboard controls were the smart choice though, as that allowed me to appreciate the fact that redirected snakes do bonus damage and that made survival much simpler. I do appreciate that you adjusted the numbers slightly to make enemies tankier since you could move more easily in this version, really made using redirection necessary.

That said, not a fan of having the redirect uses only replenish upon EVERY snake returning to your clip. Sure it meant you could use it again often immediately, but often times one snake would be out somewhere so my clip was never really “full”. Some sort of timed refresh would have served things better imo. I also felt like though the combination of enemies felt pretty fresh for a while with different enemy combinations appearing, things sorta dragged on before we got to wave 9 and introduced the last enemy type. It made my NG+ run a bit more of a drag - though I suppose the need to outlast a wave adds to the challenge as it’s a lot easier to screw up eventually. I feel like either a couple less waves or one more enemy type might have kept things engaging enough for the full experience. But given the number of enemies chosen for the last wave, I understand the importance of numbers.

But despite that, probably the best mix of gameplay and presentation that I’ve played. I really love the still desert wind that plays between each wave, it’s vaguely haunting and gives a cool sense of lifeless life. I’m always giddy over small numbers being used in games since they leave a huge impact if the gameplay is tight enough - and that’s certainly the case here. An extra +1 goes a very long way. So yeah! Excellent work on this game! Really enjoyed my runs!

1 Like

Phew! I just pulled off a NG+ and wanted to voice thoughts. I actually played this game back when it was just mouse controls and that alone really got me engaged. Having to choose between shooting and moving is a strong gameplay mechanic for a wave horde mode game and that was especially true here. When I heard you were going for keyboard controls I was a bit sad about it, but then I realized that only mouse control made one of your key gameplay features (redirection of the snake) not worth the effort of using. Typically I just spammed snakes since it was hard to pull off the redirection tactic. I also ended up not getting a lot of money either. The keyboard controls were the smart choice though, as that allowed me to appreciate the fact that redirected snakes do bonus damage and that made survival much simpler. I do appreciate that you adjusted the numbers slightly to make enemies tankier since you could move more easily in this version, really made using redirection necessary.

curious to see another look on the mouse-only control situation. as you witnessed earlier in the thread I was being very stubborn about it working, and in this case it seems that there was someone who got acclimated to it (you!), but ultimately it was for the best because it just was an unwieldly and uncomfortable control scheme.

enemy health being increased in NG+ was always implemented!

That said, not a fan of having the redirect uses only replenish upon EVERY snake returning to your clip. Sure it meant you could use it again often immediately, but often times one snake would be out somewhere so my clip was never really “full”. Some sort of timed refresh would have served things better imo.

I just kind of arbitrarily made it so that redirects only replenish when you have no snakes out and didn’t think too much about it after I implemented it. i’ll make it so that whenever a snake returns to you, you’ll get one extra redirect back if you can use it, so when you’re spam firing you still can make use of redirects without stopping firing until all snakes return.

I also felt like though the combination of enemies felt pretty fresh for a while with different enemy combinations appearing, things sorta dragged on before we got to wave 9 and introduced the last enemy type. It made my NG+ run a bit more of a drag - though I suppose the need to outlast a wave adds to the challenge as it’s a lot easier to screw up eventually. I feel like either a couple less waves or one more enemy type might have kept things engaging enough for the full experience. But given the number of enemies chosen for the last wave, I understand the importance of numbers.

more enemies was always on the mind because you can only do so much with 3 (4) enemies. i wanted wave 9 to be kinda like a last-minute surprise wave, like “oh crap, the Chipper projectiles can spawn WITHOUT them” and to have it be like a kinda fun minigame bullet hell wave (which it probably is on NG+ and further).

the issue is probably in how many enemies are spawning per wave. i can retool the enemy count for waves, in NG+ it gets pretty brutal with 100+ enemy waves.

But despite that, probably the best mix of gameplay and presentation that I’ve played. I really love the still desert wind that plays between each wave, it’s vaguely haunting and gives a cool sense of lifeless life. I’m always giddy over small numbers being used in games since they leave a huge impact if the gameplay is tight enough - and that’s certainly the case here. An extra +1 goes a very long way. So yeah! Excellent work on this game! Really enjoyed my runs!

that’s awesome to hear! I didn’t think too much about the music stopping between waves creating suspense, but I suppose for a moment it crossed me while I was making the game. The days I was working on it were a bit of a blur so I can’t exactly recall everything that came to mind while making it.

very grateful to hear your opinions! an in-depth review like this is always very appreciated.

I wouldn’t say ungainly - okay, I would - but it felt good in a challenging, intentional way. Though since this made redirection (a major gameplay element) be balanced with survival (also major, though not exclusive to this game), it was a good move to change it. If this game didn’t use redirect and focused on the risk/reward of standing still to aim and clear enemies or moving to avoid slithering into them, then the control scheme works well. That would require a ton of changes tho.

And, I’m not sure if this is the case, I think pre-NG+ health was higher? I didn’t have to use redirect at all pre-1.0 and just made do with 6 snakes. This time around I felt that redirect was the only way I was surviving later waves. And before it’s brought up, no, I wasn’t failing many waves pre-1.0. Somehow I gamer’d.

1 Like

the only gripe that i really had with this game, besides the obvious bugged endings, was that i couldnt download it on windows without downloading an emulator or something. not having fullscreen would be fine, if clicking out didnt cause me to be unable to move due to leaving the little text box.

other than that, this game is my absolute favorite of the jam; i would love to see more updates and work put in! the music design was great, all 3 enemy types feel properly dangerous in the regard they fill, and redirecting snakes makes me really feel out of a old westen movie.

the enemy design alone is praiseworthy i feel, as never before have i freaked out seeing a cookie spawn behind me, or worried that i let too many cakes stack up, and even chewing through a hoard of cupcakes (either my snakes or my character heh) gets tense when a couple surround you.

thanks for putting together a great game in just 9 days!

1 Like

thank you for your response! i’m very happy you enjoyed it so much

the hotfix will fix:

• the ending thresholds; they’ll actually work this time
  • fullscreen will work!
  • wave GUI counter not working through ng+
  • snakes with collectibles on them will now actually collect when returning instead of dropping it right by you
  • various other issues i forgot

expect it after everything is said and done, which idk when that’ll be

1 Like