šŸ Calamity Cobra in "A Sweet Surprise" (V1.0 - Gain Jam Ready!!)

I take it from all the responses to this post that it probably is safe, but I got this from itch when trying to download

2 Likes

A friend had the same issue, but the game itself seems to be fine. Just take extra precautions

1 Like

itch is probably noticing how recent the game was put up and the influx of traffic on that page, so its putting a warning up.

2 Likes

this sucks!!! i have no idea why itā€™s doing that but I can confirm you that there is no chicanery to speak of here and I havenā€™t touched the page at all since the gain jam ended. iā€™m not getting the pop up on my end but itā€™s annoying that thatā€™s happening for some of you.

1 Like

Mabby if you write to itch about the game jam thay can remove it, as Mmm_yes was saying, itā€™s probably a security system for bots or similar suddenly large traffic in short time of acount creation

1 Like

this was nice

I really enjoy stuff like this gun. itā€™s a bit finicky with what it counts as a valid re-direct (feels like itā€™s a bug of sorts making it inconsistent) and it is hard to judge when a snake has left an enemy so you can attack them again with the same snake. personally I enjoy the boomeranging aspects of it more than the re-directing but itā€™s a fun combo.

not a big fan of you getting fatter when you get hit. I personally thing that playing well should reward you with fats rather than playing poorly since you donā€™t get the miss match of the player wanting something different from what the game wants so to speak. if it did something like your held ā€œcashā€ is fat instead it would feel better to me.

also not a fan of wave 9. since you are just dodging bullets and there arenā€™t enough to make it challenging youā€™re just waiting around for most of it. I just deliberately take a hit just so I donā€™t have to wait for the wave to be over with.

2 Likes

i think the idea of getting hit = fats is genius because not only are you slower and bigger to be hit, now you are drooling at the character modal as a hidden downside causing you to get hit again lmao

but i canā€™t speak for everyone of course in what i like, especially in such a varying community such as this one. i personally dont like immobility, but im sure most here love that stuff ect.

1 Like

I found a glitch in a game, sometimes for some reason when I manage to beat the game, the game automatically stops, and sent me back to the menu.

1 Like

oh noes! what do you mean by ā€œbeat the game?ā€ what ending is it showing? on an ending screen, clicking should show a prompt between ā€œnew game+ā€ and ā€œresultsā€. maybe you clicked the ā€œresultsā€ prehensively before seeing the options?

I didnā€™t, it cuts to menu by itself, even if Iā€™m not clicking the mousepad. check it for yourself if you donā€™t believe me.

it seems to be working fine. maybe itā€™s something if youā€™re letting the entire text play out? iā€™m not sure, but if that is the case just click to skip the text and the buttons should show up.

anyways, while i eagerly await the gain jam judging to be complete (whenever that is, probably not going to get much because of how jank the game is), hereā€™s some art of calamity cobra I did. kinda went for a mario strikers-esque style

5 Likes

I donā€™t understand, is it because I was using a laptop or am I going crazy?! Am I?! AM I?!

you are crazy. this thread is an illusion. you do not even recall there being a game about some snake shooting snakes with a snake getting fat. you are ranting about something that does not exist.

but idk sorry about that. iā€™ll give it a glance whenever I upload my hotfixā€¦which will be whenever

I would like to make an effort and collect as much money as possible to donate that money to the creators of this game, if I could donate from my country I would donate more than 100 dollars because that is what this fun game deserves, it is very nice, attractive and fun, I liked it enough, I kept saying: Iā€™m an Isaac, Touhou and etc player this is very easy (Minutes later the place of enemies is saturated) I liked it a lot, after dying as Iā€™ve been fascinated with the game I take the trouble to read the whole forum and I can only tell you that you are the best your game is beautiful you have an exceptional art you had a lot of fun this morning that I forced myself to get up because of a nightmare that I had only to later find this game, I wish you the best and thank you very much for give us this wonder!

1 Like

wow, thank you for the kind words!

if you DID want to donate I did just set up the thing on itchā€¦you could do so if youā€™d likeā€¦would be niceā€¦

Excuse me, I really want to do it because this project is worth more than buying a nintendo switch or a ps5 with Elden Ring included but because of where I come from this is impossible for me

1 Like

Alright, I was impatient. After a GORILLION years, here is Calamity Cobra v1.1, now playable on Windows!!! I finally had a good time to do it so I went ahead and did. Gave me a headache making it but I hope youā€™ll appreciate not being stuck in a web browser anymore. Make sure youā€™re able to extract these.

Calamity Cobra v1.1 (Windows)
Calamity Cobra v1.1 (Source code)

Thereā€™s also some additional changes.

Changes:

• Endings 2 and 3 have had their cash thresholds reduced ($50,000 and $100,000 respectively). They should now be possible to get!!
  • Cupper (cupcake enemy) base health reduced to 3.
  • Chips (projectiles fired by Chippers, cookie enemy) no longer have NG+ health scaling; they will always die in one hit.
  • Chippers will no longer fire when out of game bounds; they will have to be fully visible on screen for it.
  • Chips will automatically disappear and decrement the enemy count after leaving the screen. No more awkward end-of-wave pausesā€¦
  • New Game+ health multipliers on enemies was out of wack; for instance, Chippers gained way more health than they shouldā€™ve. This is now consistent.
  • Projectile snakes will now only be able to grab one item at a time.
  • Projectile snakes will also let you collect items theyā€™ve nabbed easier, instead of being awkwardly dropped.
  • The indicator for redirecting a snake on each snake has been changed to be more visible.
  • SDL_gfx no longer used, because compiling a DLL for it (as there are none provided) gave me a headache aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I hate windows so much

Fullscreen would require me rewriting a lot of the game and tbf I donā€™t feel like that. Lessons learned for the future: program your game with dynamic resolutions in mind!!

Iā€™ll update the Itch page after the judging is said and done. Maybe someday Iā€™ll come back to this but a Windows build was plaguing me for so long and it gave me a big headache. Let me know if thereā€™s STILL any nagging problems or maybe the whole thing doesnā€™t work at all.

9 Likes

Awesome! I managed to complete NG +2 yesterday (got hit 5 times and ended with about 200k in the bank) and get the second ending and I was planning to stop there, but this update gives me motivation to keep going.

I found a couple bugs: when I got to wave 9 the enemy counter dropped to 0 almost instantly - I assume the Chips all disappeared as soon as they showed up since they all spawn offscreen before flying at you. Additionally, it seems as long as you keep clicking LMB after a Berserk is over, you can still fire snakes at full capacity (although this bug was probably present on the other versions as well, I just thought I was seeing things before and only stopped to test now).

Other than that though, I really like the other changes! Not having mini heart attacks from Chippers firing at you when youā€™re close to the edge and snakes being better at giving you collectibles (although I used to just walk against their path to compensate before) are things that definitely are making the game more enjoyable, along with the game running much smoother on the Windows version.

1 Like

I found a couple bugs: when I got to wave 9 the enemy counter dropped to 0 almost instantly - I assume the Chips all disappeared as soon as they showed up since they all spawn offscreen before flying at you.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha I am stupid. I am really stupid.

one moment I will fix this chicanery

1 Like

Calamity Cobra 1.2 (Windows)
Calamity Cobra 1.2 (Source code)

Changes:

• Chips will now despawn earlier offscreen if their lifetime is more than half; so freshly spawned Chips from Wave 9 will no longer instantly be deleted, but they will still be able to despawn quicker if theyā€™re offscreen.
  • Berserk will now clear all snakes on screen and set your reserve back to normal when itā€™s over. Thereā€™s probably a more elegant solution but thatā€™s what I got

OKAY now we are hopefully done. Anyways, if you recall from earlier in this thread:

And just to encourage people to go further in this game, whoever can send me a video of a full run that gets the best ending will get a free draw request from me.

This is still valid, and now that the gameā€™s been fixed, go ahead and try this!! Iā€™ll only do like, the first person thoughā€¦and donā€™t make it TOO weird alright??

3 Likes