Cheetahs Are Meant To be Fast (Khatoblepas and Urg's entry)

I pretty much said the same thing in the server but I figured since I’m talking about other games I may as well say it here too.
Super game and great concept! Like with others, I was slightly worried that this game was leaning too much in the horror direction (which is a problem if I’m showing or recommending to friends as triggers and such) when I was reading about it, but I’m glad that it was more of a light surreal sort of horror that ended in a good way. Admittedly I was also feeling that when it comes to the idea of “timeline changing” where you can change a character’s past to radically change their future. Which is an idea I love, but it’s also a bit uncomfortable when you end up swapping someone’s happy future for one where they’re crippled by their own weight problems (I mean, I sort of like this too but being the person causing this is… well…). Glad that Chet was more than happy to maintain his thick figure (and of course, spread it around, love these cute fat boys <3).

I’m a little disappointed that there wasn’t really anything we could do with the healthy food parade, past it existing and being delightfully weird. I was feeling like at some point we were going to use stamps and overwrite pictures. Maybe that was planned out and just couldn’t be put together in time. Is fine of course, I imagine just pulling off as much as you guys did here must have been a monumental effort.

Great concept, great execution, and overall a cute experience about handling those damn self-image issues in modern society. Well done <3

3 Likes

@Tombot This was a big oversight and definitely getting fixed as soon as judging’s over. To restart the game fresh just press ‘F9’.
You can also delete the save data at ‘‘C:\Users-YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME HERE–\Saved Games’’

1 Like

I very much enjoyed the game! Well made and felt much like the old CD-ROM games of old, point-n-clicking and all.
I’m hoping to try your other games, but for some reason the downloads aren’t working and I’m only aware of the one game, are there any more?
Or perhaps more games like this planned in the future? :smiley:

2 Likes

I actually really like the dark implications! But i agree with your main point of wishing the game had more to it! i got really sad i could never play the ‘weighting game’ and would just overall really love more games like this! The reality bending concept is always real nice

3 Likes

Oh my god, my first thought seeing Pendleton was “god damn it, I hope I get to see him chubby, too”
Little did I know, I was about to get something a hundred times cuter~

This is probably one of the best fatfur-related games I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing!! I absolutely adore it’s concept and all of it’s meta aspects, and the art absolutely nailed that CD-I edutainment look, while also being a joy to look at!! Just about the only thing I can nitpick at, is the narrator’s reactions to the glitches felt a little over-the-top? That might just be me, though. Otherwise, the game is polished to a brilliant shine, and I enjoyed it a lot!

On a sidenote, in regards to the “Game is windows-only” thing, I’m happy to report it works just fine on Linux under Wine!

1 Like

I will say I like how this game went. It really does nail the whole 90’s edutainment look, and the whole disk tray thing adds to it. And of course Having a System Shock reference at the last bit was something I didn’t expect, no matter how minor it was.

3 Likes

I came back and played this because I forgot to when it was first posted, and dang, this is really cleverly done! especially when my CD drive opened. that made me jump.

hoping you land high in the judging, you’ve certainly earned it.

2 Likes

First Round Scores

Jux Score

Category Total
Game Runs: 500
Use of Theme: 500
Art: 91
Writing: 95
Music & Sound: 95
Mechanics: 87
Game Concept 95
Use of Fetish 85
Judge Preference: 89
Total: 1637

Grimimic Score

Category Total
Art: 99
Writing: 100
Music & Sound: 100
Mechanics: 90
Game Concept 95
Use of Fetish 95
Judge Preference: 90
Total: 1669

Squirrel Score

Category Total
Art: 90
Writing: 99
Music & Sound: 85
Mechanics: 80
Game Concept 95
Use of Fetish 90
Judge Preference: 100
Total: 1639

Final Score: 4945

2 Likes

I’m stuck trying to find the word (or pieces of) “fried”.

I believe that’s on page 4.
What we’re finding is some of the pages are already scrolled all the way to the left when you revisit them and it throws people off realising there’s more content to the right

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 350
Writing: 355
Sound: 330
Concept/Design 1520
Msc: 190
Total: 22745

Comments:

I have to say this one really surprised me. I did not expect to see a 4th wall breaking simi horror game in the same spirt of things like Baldi’s Basics. The game is extremely creative and very well done! It really feels like one of those late 90s early 2000s learning games that I grew up with as a kid and rewriting the story is a very creative use of the theme!

The voice acting is quite good and fits well with the theme and I love the art and how well a limited set of assets where used. The over all story and writing was also great with a fun story about living your life and I also just love pissing off the narrator lol.

The only thing I can pick on is the UI can be a bit clunky at times and I did experience a few questions but these are only quite minor. The only major thing I would suggest is to remove opening a closing the CD tray. It�s a cool idea on paper but causes some issues with cases that may have the trays covered (like mine does) or if there is a disk already in there as it could start another application which led to a few of the crashes mentioned above.

All in all, out of all the games submitted this year this one was one of my favorites and everyone one who worked on it should be proud for what the created! Amazing work!

Kilif Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 355
Writing: 350
Sound: 335
Concept/Design 1500
Msc: 200
Total: 22740

Comments:

A wonderfully nostaligic experience for anyone that played any edutainment PC games back in the day. Wonderful use of the theme, voice acting, a ton of art assets, and proof that visual novels (more or less) are viable for attempting to win a jam. Really have no complaints other than a few bugs here or there, and maybe a little lacking on the fetish content compared to the other entries, but I want to stress how much these are nitpicks. This is a truly astounding entry.

Scores

Art: 705

Writing: 705

Sound: 665

Design: 3020

Total: 45485

2 Likes