ChocoLand (Update 5: probably final major update)

Bug: as soon as I left the cafe, the game spat me out wedged between a building and the tunnel.
Also yeah, the belly gets in the way a lot, for better or worse, especially at the taller heights, you size up, then POOF, giant belly, like you overate past the threshold or something.

1 Like

Game crashes as soon as i reach the F, any way to fix this?
Edit: i just had to wait, false alarm.

Update 3 is out, mostly just balancing the speed which you grow at so it is a bit smoother than before. Let me know if there are any gameplay issues you have. Otherwise I am just going to work on secondary stuff like the belly model, sound, music and minor changes.

Also let me know if there is any royalty free music you think would be appropriate. I donā€™t want the music to be in the playerā€™s face too much, mostly just some ambient music that doesnā€™t blow out your speakers.

3 Likes

Been keeping up with this one, itā€™s really enjoyable. I agree that some sound effects would make it better, perhaps a small burp when your full in case youā€™re not watching the meter.

1 Like

IDK, Freesound should work. The three I linked are CC-0, but thereā€™s a lot more on the site.

1 Like

Update 4, mostly just added sound/music. Credit to SRP for linking the music. Let me know if the audio seems out of wack, either too loud, too quiet or if it doesnā€™t feel thematically appropriate.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna wait till this reaches update 6 or 5 till I play but Iā€™m trie doā€™s hard to resist downloading it now just to play but also well you continue this after the gamejam is over

1 Like

I think the game could be improved with a win condition. Maybe add a timer that counts down until her friend shows up and stops her binge.
You could add replayabilty by dramatically increasing the base difficulty (smaller bites per click, slower speed especially at larger sizes) and adding points for items consumed and making an end of round upgrade store screen that could improve her stats for the next binge. You could do upgrade stats like speed to move faster, or the ability to eat larger objects in bigger bites (resulting in less clicks). Eating the entire city should be a goal the player would have to earn through multiple playthroughs, but it also adds the appeal of slowly ā€œtrainingā€ your character to stuff herself more and more to level up.
Also I think it needs more audio, some progressively heavier foot steps noises and generally more struggling with her size would be good, belly collision would be great.
Overall I like the concept and hope you add more to it, itā€™s great to see a 3D weight gain game in unity.

1 Like

Alright, update 5 is out and it probably the final version unless some major issues pop up. Thank you for all the feedback you have given so far, it was helped guide what things I should prioritize.

While I would love to implement more of the suggestions that were posted, iā€™m a little too burned out to start implementing them. My code has become pretty hard to manage because I was learning how Unity works as I wrote them. Hopefully future projects will be a bit more organized and maintainable.

The Good:
Learned Unity
I was happy at how expressive the little NPCs were with just a few lines of code.
The game mostly works as far as iā€™m aware.
The game plays mostly how I had intended.
I think it fills the criteria for the Gain Jam.

The Bad:
Code has become a complete mess.
The project overall looks and feels pretty amateurish.
Ending cut scene is pretty meh.
Belly model is meh.
Didnā€™t add features I had planned, including having menus.
Overuse to free Unity assets.
Game is very short with close to no replay value.
Game ainā€™t sexy.

The Ugly
The textures I used were awful but it was hard to find chocolate textures.
End screen art makes me sad to look at but I didnā€™t feel like spending time drawing.

Overall iā€™m decently happy with the project and am looking forward to starting something new to apply what Iā€™ve learned on this project. Maybe whole-ass learn 3d modeling so I can make proper assets instead of quarter-assing it.

7 Likes

I have one comment, and itā€™s one Iā€™ve given to fullscreen Unity games, before.

You donā€™t have an exit key. At the very least, Esc doesnā€™t do anything, and nothing else is an obvious choice. So I have to force-quit the program at any point I want to actually close it, since your end scene also doesnā€™t close the game.

Iā€™m not trying to sound TOO harsh, since you made it pretty clear that this is one of your first Unity projects, but thatā€™s something you need to remember to do as one of the very first things, if youā€™re not gonna have an accessible menu or windowed mode.

3 Likes

@chillmistressfreia
Yeah, thatā€™s a big issue with a lot of Unity games Iā€™ve seen, is that they forget to add pause menus or quit game buttons. Also, itā€™s incredibly inconvenient to have the game take up the entire screen. Like, what if Iā€™m talking to my friends?

1 Like

Also it wouldnā€™t let me do the mention properly so frick

1 Like

Uploaded a version that starts off windowed. You can still maximize the game by pressing alt+enter. Was too lazy to implement a more elegant solution or a pause menu. There are some issues with the text box at very wide resolutions.

1 Like

The game was really simple in concept, quick and that mildly arousing.

In honesty, this game was just the right length and experience.
The writing was properly adequate to help with the pacing!

Well done!

2 Likes

Itā€™s like Katamari except youā€™re the orb. So besides the lack of an exit button thereā€™s not really anything to dislike in here, haha

3 Likes

This was really adorable and engaging!

2 Likes

Very cute game! The little chocolate people are especially adorable! As you said, its more just a testbed to learn unity with which I totally get. Not much in the way of gameplay but still entertaining for a run, good job! :smiley:

2 Likes

I appreciate the kind words and I apologize for not responding to more people in the thread. Right now I am working on buffing up my 3d modeling skills so I can make real assets for when I eventually make another game.

1 Like

I like the idea, I just wish it was overall a bit more polished

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| ā€”: | :ā€“|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 250 |

| Writing: | 125 |

| Concept/Design | 965 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 21605 |

Comments:

I have to admit my initial impressions where not all that good, that is until I grew the first size level. Its an interesting take on the first person consumption game and I have to say it was fun running around like a gluttonous godzilla intent on devouring the entire town. Anyone who likes Macro along with Weight Gain will enjoy the novelty of this little game. Fine work for just playing around with the engine!

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 142 |

| Writing: | 191 |

| Concept/Design | 695 |

| Msc: | 90 |

| Total: | 21338 |

Comments:

A lot of games in the jam are tech demos, and thatā€™s kind of half the point? I like this game for what it represents even if it is pretty barebones. Also the chomp sound was kinda cute haha

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 80 |

| Writing: | 220 |

| Concept/Design | 530 |

| Msc: | 100 |

| Total: | 21090 |

Comments:

The main thing I want to say about this submission is that it has a lot of potential, but as it currently stands, thereā€™s no real game here, most of an interactive art piece. Thereā€™s no loss condition that I can see, and thereā€™s nothing really driving me forward in the game other than to see more content. I would love to see this expanded on and gamified in a similar manner as, say, Katamari Damacy, repleat with elements that make the game challenging but at the same time rewarding. As such, without much of a game element, its hard to say that it incorporates the fetish in a way that is integral to the mechanics of the game, as there is no real game here outside of the fetish itself.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 140 |

| Writing: | 230 |

| Concept/Design | 1160 |

| Msc: | 110 |

| Total: | 21830 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 260 |

| Writing: | 330 |

| Concept/Design | 1360 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 22320 |

Comments:

For just a test of what you could do in Unity, the execution is fantastic. The goal and mechanics are clear, the writing is witty and it uses the theme well. The little sound effects, the Chcoland election and the residents running away made the town feel alive. It was super satisfying to find as much as I could to eat so I could grow and eat bigger things. I was sad that it was just that one town but what was there was fantastic and full of character. Would love to see more of this kind of thing!

Scores

Art: 872

Writing: 1096

Sound: 935

Design: 4710

Total: 108183

1 Like