Chowdown Showdown - A game collection

There is a plan to add alt color palettes for custom characters, but currently I need to tweak the system a little since the additions of SpaceThumper’s Pilot and Aski the ASCII character both use a new overlay feature that’s currently only functional for them, and I’d like to expand on it for users to be able to utilize it for their own custom characters as well. (Pilot has 53N and Aski has the Window frame) The soon-ness of this feature is planned to be one of the next updates, but I can’t say how soon it’ll be, as I don’t know how soon yet either XP

4 Likes

Version 1.2.0 is live!
075527fc-449a-49d8-b708-5fca99165b6d 20eef75c-af9b-4ac4-af28-969d8ae4de24

Here’s wha’cha need to know:

• Cleaned up some of the game’s code
  • The game now supports up to 4 players for certain games
  • The (almost) abandoned Cherub has been given a new lease on life
  • Angle the Paper Dog hopes to increase her degree of stomach size
  • Code optimized for multiplayer handling
  • Reorganized the main menu screen
  • Added the game Foodsweeper
  • Characters now have a displayed icon, number of weight stages, and alt count in the character select screen
  • An options menu has been added to the main menu
  • The game will now remember option choices you’ve made
  • The character modding system has been revamped, so files for 1.1.X and prior will need to be updated to be used in this and later versions

I’d also like to give everyone a head’s up that I have just started a new medication that’s supposed to help with anxiety, so hopefully it’ll make me more productive and not unproductive XP. Anyways, head on over to the itch page and check out the newest game: Foodsweeper! A Minesweeper clone where you need to avoid red plates or end up paying the bill!

Have fun with the newest version!

3 Likes

Version 1.3.0 is live!
2b53efea-7a69-41c3-80d7-2032f30617b3 b235bdf2-4715-408f-a04e-eb7b30016ec7

• New Games Onnect, Catch the Food, and Snatch a Meal have been added!
  • The game Dots & Boxes now has received some care with an adjustable board size
  • Tinkare has an inkling of an idea for what to eat
  • Cassia is going to have a cinnamon-taste-ic time here!
  • You can now keep track of all the games you’ve played!
  • The game now has an Achievement system implemented!

Along with several bug fixes:

• Bug Fix: Room background now changes when “New Game” is selected
  • Bug Fix: Floating animation is now fixed, so 53N is floating again! :smiley:
  • Bug Fix: Game crash on start up if the folders Foreground and/or Background existed for a character in the Characters folder but did not contain any sprites regardless of if the character used them or not

3 Likes

Version 1.3.1 is live!
8c51723c-9264-48b8-b4f1-75fb8ca5f83b

• “Time to Onnect” achievement time made shorter due to how easy the challenge is
  • Credits page updated
  • Descriptions have been added for the 3 new games
  • Snatch a meal now has a multiplayer variant
  • Version number now appears on the front screen
  • Audio Chime for getting an achievement

• Win achievements would go off regardless of winning status
  • Dots & Boxes is now a 2-4 player game, instead of a 1-4 player game
  • Color issues fixed for Dots & Boxes’ line drawing
  • Hangtime option would sometimes disappear depending on what the last gamemode was
  • Patched some logic issue with playing a game in timer mode
  • Browser: Onnect was incorrectly displaying the image index of some food items which caused what looked to
    be valid moves to not actually be valid in the first place
  • Browser: Fixed the display achievements issue for browser/mobile

4 Likes

Is it possible to make every player fattened up in pig? I have tried to have everyone fat in pig but when it happens an error occurs.

2 Likes

It should be possible, but let me check to make sure that it isn’t bugged :+1: (I might need to make a second patch this time around XP )

1 Like

In a older patch you could still roll the dice even after someone won, now the only way you could do that would be to hope that you can roll the same or above the other oponent

2 Likes

What are the various pie-related achievements related to?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the intended way to fatten both players up in pig is to eat your way to juuuust below the score limit and then allow your opponent to catch up. As long as you’re one die roll away from whatever the score limit is, its possible. You get one more turn to tie the game up after one player reaches the score limit. Still crashes the game at present though, so it’s not actually possible to do it as of writing.

2 Likes

that’s more or less, ive probably worded it badly

2 Likes

Version 1.3.2 is live!
cd3868c9-51cc-43b4-ae63-d97f27881b8ef0ab610c-8b6b-4830-8d25-55724464460b

• Foodsweeper now has buttons for presets of board difficulties
  • The Quit button has been changed to a Pause button

• Starting characters are from the starting roster instead of locked characters
  • Foodsweeper can now be a grid size smaller than 8x8 without crashing
  • Pig can now have all players overweight at the same time without crashing
  • Characters should now have proper weight stages when scoring
  • Some Achievements have been patched

Wowie, first time I had to make a second patch for before releasing the next minor update (:P) Thank you all for catching these bugs so we can feed them to our hungry aardvark in the corner (;P)

3 Likes

I am making that ardvark SO fucking fat and I could not be more proud

2 Likes

I am having trouble figuring out what rounds in games are. Are they wins, or are they something else? I also can’t figure out what the curious browser achievement is.

2 Likes

Oh, if your asking about the ones saying “win a X rounds game” then I must have forgotten to reword it since I renamed rounds to wins. So yes, they are wins.

As for Curious Browser, credit goes to the creators :3c

1 Like

DLC_Proto_Tyler
I was debating on releasing this since I wanted to make a proper DLC… buuut Tyler was wanting to help. If anybody noticed in the screenshots, Tyler is shown to be a playable character, but that was because they were helping with the character addon logic since 1.1.X, and since they’ve been helping me its only right that they help you too! See how they are implemented into the game, the DLC pack also shows 2 methods for alt character listing (either all within the first character folder or via a nested method). They have a bit of code for the next update, but should still be viable for previous versions (earliest as 1.2.0).

Download the DLC on this page here! Along with a tutorial on how to add them in!

2 Likes

The Solitary Bio update, Version 1.4.0, is live!
e4a00509-3269-451f-88f6-c5368453300a275aaa68-4c63-4a79-a906-ae25ae9e6f9c6960c2ef-cc8b-4d32-ba9d-b30d553accd4

• 3 New games: Solitaire, Freecell, and Spider! They each have crazy customization so its more than just 3 if you think about it XD
  • A new Creator Presents Screen that I’ll be using for many of my future projects
  • Shevishay wants to soak up some sun, and slurp on some juice!
  • The game’s randomization is now based on current time rather than the current day
  • Fox and Fawnz now have 3 weight stages instead of just 2
  • Achievements with “Win a X rounds Game” have been changed to “Win a X wins game”
  • Bio page is implemented
  • Fixed the visual bug of the bot frames when in a game
  • Struct.ini updated to support the new Creator, URL, and Bio blurb for imported characters
  • Adjusting Variables now loop in value

Known Release Bugs:

• The outline for the card placement stretches to the bottom of the screen if more than ~12 cards are on it at once

This one was taking longer than before because of both the new mechanic, finals approaching, and a new prototype I was playing around with.

3 Likes

While I have folk coming in to check out the new update, I’d like to ask y’all something concerning the next update. What little things seem to be “missing” or what quality of life features do you feel like this game needs?

The next update will be more focused on polishing and reworking some of the code. With the addition of the 3 new games, some problems showed their ugly head which would heavily affect the workflow of future updates that I’d like to address now before they get worse.

My current list for this next update: Give the game a proper desktop icon; Add more audio for things such as gulps and belches; Make an actual turn arrow (getting rid of the gotti gradient circle); Updating pre-existing games such as Concentration, Minesweeper, Pig, and Dots & Boxes; Giving the campaign mode actual backgrounds; Adding an invisible timer for timed achievements (They’re intended to be done in Timer mode, but it would feel fair to award it if done in Casual mode as well); More game juice for menu buttons and the like; and Updating some of the GUI elements with better art.

A new feature I’m adding for the next update is custom options for cards and dice, which sorta leads to the major renovation which is the achievement system. Now after working with how I currently implemented it, I’m not liking it since it’s becoming cumbersome to add characters to it. I think the approach I’d like to attempt in fixing it should keep older progress retained, but even if I need to reset progress I hope the new system won’t be that cumbersome in re-unlocking content.

To repeat the question: What things seem to be “missing” or what quality of life features do you feel like this game could use?

Have a good day, and enjoy the game! :3

2 Likes

I just updated the game with a hot-patch, because apparently the array_concat() function isn’t defined for the HTML5 port (which caused the crash on browser/mobile). Also forgot to update some of the bio’s so hopefully they’ll read correctly now.

Thank you for patience and have a great day! (and now you can hopefully enjoy the new games now that it’s “fixed” :person_facepalming:)

3 Likes

Well the hot-patches start coming and they don’t stop coming, Fixing the rules and I hit the ground bumming, doesn’t it make sense to not code for fun? Your brain gets smart, but your head is just done.

Sooo… here’s what fixes and improvements I’ve made since some of the new games are just breaking…:

• Option added to automatically flip cards faceup
  • Spider game mode fixed for 2 and 4 suit games
  • New option for card matching rule to be only by card number
  • Freecell patched to properly have all cards faceup if thoughtful mode is on
  • Freecell now has the top cards flipped if thoughtful mode is off

Since I’m reworking the achievement system, there is no new added characters or achievements like I have done in previous patches.

Thank you for your patience and have a great day! (and NOW you can hopefully enjoy the new games without any issues :person_facepalming:)

3 Likes

Loving the game so far, here’s some recommendations for QoL changes
Gallery mode that lets you easily see the sizes of characters you’ve unlocked
Some clarity on how big each character can go and how to get big
Clarity on who’s affected by SFW mode

And for a more personal ask, bigger sizes on certain characters? I think Katia looks great but (as far as I’m aware) she only has two sizes and only gets quite chubby, same for others too ofc

2 Likes