Chowdown Showdown - A game collection

The number of stages is listed… somewhere in the UI, but I don’t think it’s labeled to be fair. Could maybe put that on the bio page of each character.

2 Likes

Had just finished the Campaign on Hard, then I clicked to leave the “Winner” screen and this happened.

2 Likes

I’ll see about getting a hot-patch out by Friday to address this bug (and a few others that have been discovered) as this particular bug looks like it could also apply to Easy Mode’s victory screen. Thank you for the report! :3

1 Like

Patches! Get yer patches here! V1.4.3 is out now! Patches! Get yer patches here!..

Better late than never, so here are the patch notes:

• Music should now start playing after the presentation screen
  • Sound no longer loops so no more jump scare noises (from the Sound Adjuster at least)
  • It should now record your games won in the solitaire games
  • Foodsweeper and similar games should now require you to WIN in order to win the winning achievements
  • If a player stalls for time in a timed match, it should now be times up instead of awarding it to the player with the most points
  • Campaign mode should now have Hard mode back in working order
  • After winning a Campaign game, you should be able to leave without the game crashing
  • Fixed the win screen for solitaire games when the player wins to the single player logic vs the multiplayer logic
  • Cards should now be stuck to the foundation in Spider after completing one
  • The Default button in options should now set the card games to the correct ruleset when pressed
  • Made sure that some options for the card games no longer appear for all game modes

To note, since I am reworking the achievement system, there is no new added characters or achievements like I have done in previous patches.

Thank you for your patience and have a great day! (maybe now up can hopefully enjoy the new games without any more issues until the next major update comes out :face_exhaling:)

2 Likes

I know it’s been a while since the last update, so I’d like to give a bit of an update:

I know a major request is for more character weight stages as the majority has only 2, but most character art is by a different artist. (Bio mode currently points out the artist, though I’d like to include a tag for character owner since the owner and artist may not be the same person). I tried balancing the achievements for easier achievements to unlock less weight stage characters and harder achievements for characters with more weight stages. I’ve attempted to expand some character weight stages for existing ones (Fox and Fawnz) though it’s slightly hard since I have trouble emulating the art style they have. If anyone’s willing to lend a pen for this, I and the player base would greatly appreciate it! (Same issue with Katia since I didn’t originally draw her). The best solution for this issue I have is to try having future characters with a wider range of progressive stages. I’d like to take the chance now to ask how many minimum weight stages you’d be okay with if these 2 stagers were expanded upon?

Minimum Number of Weight Stages you’d be okay with?
  • 7+

0 voters

I’d also like to mention that the game now has a dedicated community page over on its itchio page! While your waiting for the next update, you can play the desktop version with Maxwell the Chubby Seagull by Peckish as our first user generated DLC! Go on over and show your support for this flight(less) bird ;D

I don’t have a good gauge on when the update will come out, but I might decide to slowly release small QoL patches as currently I’m preoccupied with some IRL events (and suffering TotK brain rot, halp!)

Thank you for your support and have a great week!

5 Likes

This game seems really good so far! I only have a few critisicms:

-The font for the numbers needs to have a black outline around it in addition to being white. My favorite character to play as is Pilot, and unfortunately the white numbers blend in with her suit once she gets big enough.
-64 Concentration cards in 30 minutes is basically impossible. I had to reveal two cards at a time, pause the game to take a screenshot, repeat until I had a picture of the entire board, then actually match the tiles, circling my moves down on the screenshot so I could keep track of what I’d revealed (still pausing in between every move) and I still finished with about 30 seconds left on the clock.
-The Food Snatcher minigame is bugged at the moment. When a game finishes, it’s considered a Time Up rather than a victory for either player, making the three achievements related to winning that game impossible to obtain.
-Not exactly feedback, but I’m unclear on what exactly to do for First Couple Entrees and Forewarning of Trials (which is a shame, because it looks like Forewarning unlocks Dark Pilot)
-Piggin Out is also a bit ambiguous, as I’m not sure what “having every player fattened up” means. Some characters have more weight gain stages than others, and I’m not sure what the game considers to be ‘fattened’- Is it halfway to max? All the way to max? EDIT: Figured it out. All four players have to be all the way to max. The actual unlock seems to be bugged though, the achievement shows as completed but I can’t access the character in games or in the bios screen.

Great game so far, and I appreciate the wide (hah) selection of characters. I should also note that I’ve made all my progress so far on the online version, and I’d love a way to transfer save data between that and the downloadable version.

2 Likes

For the concentration thing, just use a seperate window with an 8x8 table on google docs and type in which card you flipped over and fast. Screenshots could be a bit slow.

2 Likes

Just a little thing I wanted to mention. 64 cards in 3 minutes is actually very doable… if you lower the setting that controls for how long the cards stay up before flipping down again as much as you can.
In case you’re still skeptical I can send a video where I fumble a lot and still end with 19 seconds remaining.
Honestly I wouldn’t say it’s anyone’s fault as it took me a while to figure out what that setting did, despite the label on the side that seems obvious in hindsight. But if you use it to your advantage you can complete it without needing to resort to painstakingly screenshotting the entire screen every couple seconds.

While I’m here, I’ll also report this crash that happens if (in my experience) you try setting the rules to default while the game is currently set to timed mode:

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Mouse Event for Left Button
for object obj_ResetDefault:

Pop :: Execution Error - Variable set failed state - read only variable?
at gml_Object_obj_ResetDefault_Mouse_0
############################################################################################
gml_Object_obj_ResetDefault_Mouse_0 (line -1)

Additionally, while I’m a bit busy this week, I could try my hand at helping make more weight stages for the other characters some time in the near future. It might end up looking off in more ways than one but I’d try my best.

3 Likes

:notes: Patches, patches, here’s the patch!
:notes: They prey at night, they stalk at night, here’s the patch!
:notes: It’s version 1.4.4 that makes changes to some of the rules
:notes: Let’s see what kind of trouble this can get itself into…

I’m trying a new approach where I release smaller updates rather than trying to sink myself with large ones (since I keep getting bugs from them that I’m STILL fixing XP ). So here’s the latest details on recent and older feedback:

• “Time to Concentrate” achievement has been extended from 3 minutes to 5 minutes (I meant for it to be hard but not THAT hard…)
  • Bio now has a number that indicates how many weight stages a character has and if the character is marked with NSFW
  • Onnect is now Thicc’er with its lines
  • Some in game text now have outlines (not very good outlines, but still some kind of outlines to improve readability against certain characters)

BUG FIXES:

• Reset Default no longer crashes the game (Logic check failure caused this)
  • Secret button has been moved so it cannot be accidentally pressed on Mobile
  • Intro screen was off centered by ~32 pixels
  • Timed matches have been fixed so active games have a dedicated winner but turn based games will not
  • Snatch a Meal and Food Catcher now display imported character’s icons correctly

To note (every time I’ve made a patch for 1.4.X so far), since I am reworking the achievement system, there is no new added characters or achievements like I have done in previous patches.

Thank you for your patience and have a great day! (Better than mine will be in the coming days :disappointed:)

3 Likes

@Flateur
To transfer save data from the web version to the desktop version, its just a matter of finding the file “save_data.ini” within your browser application. Easier said than done since it took me about an hour to find mine. I’m using the Opera GX browser, but I could try putting together a tutorial on how to find it on different browsers, but I don’t think it should be too different. On the game’s page, right click to “inspect elements” to get started. I found my data by navigating to “Application/Storage/Local Storage/https://< weirdURL >” and then finding the key that has the strange name “CreatedwithGameMaker.0.save_data.ini”, but its value should be the needed part that you can copy/paste into your desktop version.
If your still having trouble finding it, hit me up and I’ll see about finding it on whatever browser you were playing from.
The vague achievements your asking about might be related to the Campaign Mode if I remember correctly.
Piggin’ Out looks to be working correctly for me, but I’ll mention that the current implementation of achievements will show the alt icons of characters for certain achievements and its possible that its the same case here (as its one of the achievements for Polly Pecker, which has different icons for each of their alternate looks).

@mosquito
I suppose the fault of clarity of what that option does falls on my part for not explaining it clearly enough. And thanks for the bug report! I just fixed it in the patch since I used the wrong value to check if an instance was missing from the room or not. And I’d greatly appreciate the help with expanding the weight stage numbers for characters. DM me here or on Discord if we want to discuss it further. I may not be timely in my replies with up coming events, but I’ll try to assist ya where I can! :+1:

And to everyone, let me know if any other achievements seem to be “unreasonable” with their requirements. Sometimes I skip the all important “playtest” part and hope I picked reasonable numbers. 3 minutes for 64 cards is pretty brutal (even for those who are good at the memory game Xp ), so I hope the extra 2 minutes I added make it easier on y’all! (I barely got it within the 3 minute time limit with less than a second to spare from my recent playtest of it :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

almost forgot how you can just abuse the hell out of the pause button

1 Like

Are there supposed to be duplicates of certain cards in Klondike (4 of spades, 7 of hearts, 5 of rubies)? I can’t finish the game because of that

2 Likes

If it’s a bug, I have no idea how I got it, so I won’t be able to give info on how to get the bug

2 Likes

This is a bug, and I may know what the culprit is depending on your response: Did you use the undo action at all during the game?

1 Like

Yeah, i used undo button a bunch of times

2 Likes

oh, ok, i see the problem now

2 Likes

Yeah… apparently the history recording logic is messing up. I have it on the list but being able to replicate this problem would help pinpoint the “why” it’s not behaving correctly >:/

1 Like

what is first couple entrees I have been trying to get that one for a few days now

2 Likes

The Campaign mode has 6 achievements tied to it, Hard difficulty only has 2 atm so you won’t need to go far into it. :+1:

1 Like

thanks for the info but I dont think ill be able to beat hard mode any time soon

2 Likes