Chowdown Showdown - A game collection

Howllo Everyone and welcome to this silly little game collection where average everyday games meet eating competition! Note: This is labelled as 18+ since it contains some nudity :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The game is FREE, but donations are appreciated! You can play in browser and on mobile (from browser), and can download for Windows.

I wanted to start making games a little more frequently, since I have more ideas than I can keep track of. And the only way to dwindle that number is to actually make games. This one took longer than I wanted to (it was supposed to be simple!) but I finally got it out. Hopefully I can release a few more games during this semester (as making more games is part of my new year’s resolution).

Features:

• A few games to play around with such as Memory Match, Pig, and Dots n’ Boxes!
  • Includes several characters from SFRPG such as Henriette and Ammet. (I don’t know everyone’s names, so some may be misnamed)
  • Over 30+ characters to choose from! (Males and Females!)
  • Add your own characters! (Desktop version only) [Tutorial Link]
  • A campaign mode for you to really test your memory (And get destroyed in… oops)
  • A variety of rules that can be tampered with (Timed, Casual, varying choices for the computer).
  • 1 Player, Player vs Comp, and 2 Player Same Device Play

Controls:
You can change the opponent character in the character select menu by either right-clicking if on computer, or tapping the right side of the screen to select them on mobile (tap left side to select for first player). Characters with a special boarder have alternates, just tap them again to cycle through their various forms!

Big thanks to ImpossibleSnail for providing us some free resources for us in the community to use for our games!

I also want to thank MK.IIB and Chubberdy for collaborating with me by allowing me to add their characters to the game :3

And if you want your character to be featured in the game, just provide me with their frames ;3

Thank you for your time! Have a nice, safe, and fun day!

44 Likes

oh thx~! I will play it later

2 Likes

Hey, pretty awesome, loved It!

2 Likes

There seems to be an issue with turning the phone to landscape mode on mobile. Game doesnt scale to fill the screen correcrly and so the UI is barely interactable and the text is completely illegible.

2 Likes

ok it seems to only be a problem if you try and rotate your screen after you start the game up.

also the default diffuculty of the AI is pretty hard. lowering it will probably be a better exeperience for most.

definitely going to download this on desktop and see about getting my sona put in!

2 Likes

re: getting my sona in, I can’t seem to find the folder that’s supposed to generate after the first time you run the game. I pasted in %localappdata% to my address bar and that didn’t lead to any folder, so a little more detailed description of where the file generates would be nice!

2 Likes

Oh, I might need to update the tutorial to be a little more helpful on that since I quickly cobbled it together. In your %localappdata% there should be a folder either called “ChowdownShowdown” or “MemoryMatchFood”, from there you should be able to find the “Characters” folder. Hopefully that helps, if not then I’ll need to patch it later. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Oh its memory match food. Just found it! thank you.

I have some other questions but I think they’ll be answered by my own experimentation.

2 Likes

The game itself is pretty good, and is fairly enjoyable. My biggest, and pretty much only gripe is the odd difficulty in the first small handful of matches in campaign mode. With so few cards, its super easy to just outright lose if the cpu goes first. Cpu goes, reveals two cards, you go, reveal 1-2 cards depending on if you make a repeat flip. Cpu’s turn basically knows half the board, and 9 out of 10 times leads to a pair, and another, and another, and another. You can get a little bit buckled by luck in bigger boards, but very much less so and to an acceptable degree. Just the first 2-3 matches can be lost with it being little to do with yourself.

3 Likes

Patch 1.0.1 is live!
meg_an

Here’s what’cha need to know:

• Fixes the bug where the mute option doesn’t mute the game until the track changes
  • Fixed errors in the Credits
  • Rules button now hides when entering campaign mode
  • You now have the choice to exit the campaign mode during play
  • The tutorial on character adding was updated to clarify on some vague information and has additional info on glitches that may occur
  • Campaign mode now starts with a larger board to hopefully offset the bot’s early game difficulty
  • Megan the Big Fat Lesbian Tiger widens the doors! (thanks to @MK.IIB)

Have fun with the newest patch!

2 Likes

This was a very simple yet fun game

Will say I was confused (And still am, wish there was Blank Sheet/Folder to be used as Explain) About the custom characters but besides Its fun game
Can see some simple stuff being added on later like more sounds and frames but due to how simple it works

2 Likes

I can show you a picture of the folder for my character if you think that’ll help

2 Likes

I just updated the tutorial to now hopefully have a helpful visual example of what the folder structure should look like. I also added a complete path straight to where you need to place your character folder in if that helps any ;3

1 Like

Sounds good, that can help out ^^

2 Likes

Version 1.1.0 is live!
46e28780-dbd4-4aee-9984-701da32bc605 Aski_Icon

Here’s what’cha need to know:

• This is now a game collection! Two new games have been added: Pig and Dots n’ Boxes
  • UI has been polished a bit
  • Creator links are now added in the credits section
  • Concentration can now be 8 to 64 cards
  • A new delay timer allows players to see cards for either 0 to 3 seconds after their flipped
  • Players can now more easily replay the current game rules they have set
  • Campaign mode now has a difficulty option, so you can either challenge the new Easy mode or attempt to beat the original and brutal Hard mode
  • Pilot and 53N has crashed landed onto the premises! (thanks to @Chubberdy)
  • Aski has just been executed and is unfortunately eating all the RAM!
  • Some code optimization

Have fun with the newest version!

6 Likes

Is Polly Pecker planned for the game?

2 Likes

If the art exists already, you could just add them yourself. Also… who is that?

2 Likes

The eating champion in the farmlands from SFRPG, I originally didn’t include them because of their front facing sprite, buuut if there is a demand for them then I could add them in :3 (last I remember their sprites were provided in the SFRPG asset pack)

4 Likes

Version 1.1.1 is live!
8fa0fc7b-9f46-46aa-a8dc-221d6884b104 98a2bea5-c206-4409-89fa-82a6d9b2d895 a6171df6-be38-4e01-889f-5a9cf2b36d30 696407f2-dfd7-41b3-9341-d8ce9b8b68cd 7c8fe20c-5c7f-451c-bdb8-17f7a70f83ce 35c5f264-fdd1-41b3-80cf-12627f0c1369

Here’s wha’cha need to know:

• Made it so that in Pig, you randomly compete to eat several different foods instead of just burgers
  • Fox, Cow, Geebie, and Aski now have alt color palettes
  • High Roller Woman now has alternate art
  • Polly Pecker packs a peck of perky peckers :stuck_out_tongue:
  • The bugs have been shoed away from the table where we play Dots and Boxes
  • Button for the Dots and Boxes game has been updated (formally was being called Dots and Lines)
  • Bios has been temporarily disabled until it is fully developed
  • High Roller Woman, Megan, and Cow have had their art cleaned up a bit
  • The game now has some backgrounds elements so its not so plain :smiley:

Have fun with the newest version!

5 Likes

This is quite a nice collection of games. and the ability to add your own characters is a nice addition.
though speaking of making characters is there any way at this moment to give a custom added character an alt colour? To make things a little clearer to test this system out i picked a random character to try this out and during the creating of that i started to wonder if there was a way to give them an alt colour pallete like what was done with Fox, Cow and Geebie to name a few examples.

3 Likes