Chublands Preview 1! (Outdated, see below)

Alright, just finished playing. Time for my little review. :slight_smile:

The execution of this preview seems very smooth. The area, artstyle, and character design are all very nice to look at. The addition of little things like the ability to change the color of your swimsuit and the music volume is good. An example of where the menu could go, I suppose. The physics was well done (in particular I’m referring to the jiggle physics. Try facing the camera and turning left and right really quick. You’re welcome.) The music is probably a placeholder, but it was a good and chill experience.

I don’t really know anything about the story yet, so I’m curious to see where that will go. This was done very well so far, and it’s still very early, so there aren’t many suggestions I can make. I will say that I hope you add a few additional weight stages between the first and last so we don’t get to the highest weight quite so quickly.

There are some minor collision issues at the moment, I think because the hitbox stays fitted to the character’s original size. If that’s something that will be changed in the future, I for one would love an obstacle having to do with railings or a doorway or something. A stage where width, rather than verticality, is the limiting factor. Just a suggestion, of course.

Once more, thank you for the physics.

2 Likes

Thank you for playing!

Establishing the art style and mood of the central area has been a big focus, so I’m glad you enjoy it.

The weight state system ties certain abilities to certain sizes, so adding more may or may not be possible. I’ll keep in mind this feedback going forward.

As for the clipping issues, you’re correct! The player’s hitbox doesn’t change with weight. This is for movement-related reasons. I’m researching some ways to improve it, and hoping I can get the belly to deform and squish based on the environment. Width-based puzzles are also planned.

I’m sorry if I came across as rude or dismissive. However badly I explained it, my point was that the demo didn’t really tell me what kind of game this is supposed to be. What is the game about? What are the player’s goals? What kinds of challenges will it present? The only thing I learned from the demo is that the player character can move, jump, and gain weight. There’s a million different directions you can go from there.

By all means, make the kind of game you want to make. Whatever it is, I’ll happily play it.

Agreed that the dev should’ve waited a smidge longer and made this more of a “vertical slice” demo, but:

Chublands is a fat-themed 3D Platformer where you explore a luxurious resort, solving puzzles and collecting hexed snacks in pursuit of an evil witch!

1 Like

Clearly your IQ isn’t high enough to understand the subtle genius of the Chublands demo. Then again, I can’t blame you. The Dwayne gif’s subtle allusion to Kafka only matters to true intellectuals, and laymen such as yourself would never understand the ingenious political allegory presented by the untextured blocks.

6 Likes

And it’s got a cute girl, too

Not a fan of the energy I’m seeing in some of these responses. Refrain from sarcasm, please.

The game is in a very early state, I’m well aware. If you believe I shouldn’t have released the demo yet, that’s your opinion. I released it now to get initial feedback and see what suggestions and ideas the community has. Thus far the responses have been very helpful.

4 Likes

I’m loving what I see! I want to explore this world with my cute chubbster!

1 Like

How can I make her bigger?

F1 - F4, or 1-4 on the numpad.

Check the itch page for a list of controls!

1 Like

Is a Mac version possible?

Possible, but not super likely. Later releases may or may not get Mac support.

Will there be a male version of the main character?

Very nice! I can’t wait to see how it develops.
Probably my favourite thing is the bounce physics, they’re sutile but still there. 10/10

1 Like

Male characters aren’t currently planned. Sorry!

keep at it! im curious to see this come to fruition!

Here’s my let’s play of it, i hope it drums up more interest in the game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!! All coverage is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Definitely looking good. My 2 cents would be to add collision with her belly, seeing a soft body (pun intended) like that get all pushed out of the way from obstacles would be awesome.

3 Likes

looks nice, i’m excited to see what this turns into.

1 Like