Comfy Companion - cakecatboy game jam submission

Fan Art of Ruby

1 Like

Awesome game! I enjoyed the art, design and story sooo much.

Hope you consider expanding it further in the future.

1 Like

Thanks so much Thwaz!!! I love it! You nailed her hair and outfit perfectly too :3

1 Like

legit one of my favourite games this year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Concerning that unfairness thingy I think we’ll have to wait given how it’s a short game still pending development, so I wouldn’t worry atm.

Otherwise it’s a neat game, there’s an aesthetic complexity with the music, backgrounds & overall design, a funny moment with Pixel (your own artwork) being some decorative painting as well as the theme of consent / honesty etc which I’d say is brand new in this gaming genre.

Overall another showcase of your improvement in games + your usual kindness which goes a little unnoticed imo.

Hope you place well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaalso I named them Adam & Eve because I’m original like that but the boy’s my fave!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the kind words :> I had a story I wanted to tell, so I’m glad I could get a message across.

3 Likes

I love it! Short and sweet with a nice little plot and multiple endings. As usual your art looks great too, Lapis is an especially cute boy.

1 Like

Love the retro feel of this, and the art and writing is on point! Looking forward to seeing if this will be expanded upon

Edit- (no pun intended)

3 Likes

I just finished the demo, I love it! Can’t wait for the full release! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I just finished playing this game, and let me tell you, it was amazing! The character designs for both the male and female characters (though I prefer the female) are impeccable, and all of the art in the game is extremely well drawn! The CGs are incredible, and I really liked the fact that the pets’ feelings actually matter in this game for once! You did a great job allowing us (or at least me) to connect with the characters in such a short time (I genuinely felt bad when I got a bad ending for my first playthrough and when I purposely tried to get the worst ending, and when I got good endings it put a smile on my face)! My only complaint about the game would be that the male and female routes are very similar. Most of the lines that they said were the same and so were their CGs. But, of course, I can totally understand this, as you made the game in such a short period of time and worked pretty much alone (besides for the guest art and music). Also, I noticed a minor error in the game: in all of the CGs, the male character has a blue tint on the tips of his ears (which I love, by the way), but in the non-CG art he does not (I have the game on my Mac). But other than what I pointed out just now, the game was absolutely fantastic! Other compliments that I have for the game would be the incredible title screen art/animation (it’s amazing!), the choice of music (love the retro vibes), and the overall color scheme of the game. Overall, I think I liked Juni’s Appetite (with Salem’s Appetite as a great bonus) a bit better, but this game was awesome as well, and I’m amazed by how quickly and nicely you were able to put it together (not to mention the fact that you continued to do sketch commission streams while you were working on this). Seriously, you never cease to impress me Cake! Thank you so much for making this game!!

P.S. Can you post a link with all the CGs and character sprites in it? I would love to be able to view them!

1 Like

I would like to make note I did 2 runs, one bad ending one good ending, both with the female.
Overall, the game is designed well. The art is amazing in quality, the story feels natural enough to be believable and the retro aesthetic is great. I loved the music. Most of anything I can say that is negative is just personal preference. The one thing I take umbridge with is that the bad ending where the pet leaves when the pizza guy arrives felt too volatile. The difference between continuing and a bad end was one choice, what size breakfast was prepared. It may just be my tendency to put myself in the PC’s shoes, but I was kinda annoyed being compared to the friend because I chose the full breakfast (adding to the annoyance is that the full breakfast was larger than I had expected.)

In summary; Great game, just not for me.

1 Like

@kosmos welcome to the community! I’m happy you had fun!!

@Firestrike2000 same to you! I’m really glad you enjoyed the game! The boy’s ears are definitely meant to be blue-tipped, was likely just a mistake on my part, or hiding a layer I wasn’t supposed to! Juni’s appetite had a bit more time, more CGs, and hopefully I can give this one as much attention if not more. I’m so glad you love how it turned out! I’ve got plans for an image pack, but I want to do a bit more work on the game first!

@BoxedFox64 That’s something I want to fix in a later version, I want to reword some choices/points values today to help it. I thought my math was correct that you could make 1 choice wrong and still get a good ending, but it might just mean I need to adjust it. It’s not supposed to be unbeatable after that choice. Thanks so much for taking the time to play it! Maybe it would be a game for you in the future :relaxed:

1 Like

version 1.6 is uploading! It may take some time for my internet to upload it all, but the links are correct and should give you a time estimate. I apologize for the delay!

I really enjoyed what you went with in terms of the theme. This is an extremely creative interpretation of “in the workplace”. I also that the player cant be too forceful or spoilers will happen (I don’t know how to hide spoiler messages yet). Though, I still feel some of the text options could be a bit more clear. I thought that a hearty breakfast meant an average meal. Even with that, I love the work that was put into this game. Really high quality.

2 Likes

MEIN GOTT!
For some reason I assumed the girl was the protagonist and the boy was the pet; I was not prepared for pizza-stuffed foxgirl :open_mouth: I am FLUSTER

This is an incredibly well put-together creation! The sheer volume of artwork you generated while keeping the quality never less than gorgeous is something really magical!

2 Likes

I’ll keep working on that then! I want people to think about it, you wouldn’t eat a large meal and go for a run, you’d want to have a little one!

@UrgUrgUrg haha thank you so much! I’m glad it surprised you!

1 Like

I finally got the chance to play the game! I can say that I love how the characters are written, literally some of the lines the player says were already in my head before he spoke them it was pretty fun! The girl (who I named Mika) was really really appealing, not just body wise but personality too! It was a joy to play I just can’t help but wish it was just a little longer, obviously you were filling the game with really nice artwork so I can’t really complain XD There were a few things that caught my attention, such as the choices being just a little too black and white with little middle ground. With the breakfast I couldn’t quite guage the characters intentions with the middle option for example (That’s the one I picked, fortunately I still got the good end XD). The only other thing was I was expecting more of a “stuffed” description in the good end, the description felt kinda off based on the event as a whole. Tbh though I am nitpicking, it was a really fun little thing to play through and I really liked it! - Good luck to you in the competition! :3

1 Like

I definitely want to make much longer and more rewarding CGs in a future release!! I had so much fun writing them in JA and I want to do it more, I already know of a few places I want to adjust with more story and dialogue later, I’m really grateful for all the feedback on the choices too, I want to add a bit more supporting dialogue in the beginning to help guide the player on the right direction, but admittedly I would prefer people to get the bad ending first, then the good ending after

1 Like

The age old question of: “How do I give the player informed choice, without informing them of what choice will get them the reward” XD Not an easy thing and with the VN game type it’s all too easy to fall into the trap of either leading the player to a specific ending or making them say “WHAT??? I DID NOT TELL HIM TO SAY THAT!!!” - I wish you the best of luck! If there is more to this game in future, or more projects by you I won’t hesitate to play them! :smiley:

1 Like