Comfy Companion - cakecatboy game jam submission

honestly that’s exactly it! I’m open to suggestions if you think of any! I was thinking of switching it to a light breakfast or a large breakfast, with no in-between perhaps. Just the two choices.

The concept is a little confusing, but that may just be a personal issue. One moment they’re treated as and identified as “pets” that can’t control themselves and need to be kept on leashes by law, the next I’m groping them and implied to be having sex with them.
The sex was similarly confusing, as my first playthrough, I made a hearty breakfast as it sounded like we had lots of physical activities planned. I let her pick out the ball she liked, and told her a personal childhood memory. She then bolted out the door after telling me she’s not just a toy and I’m a horrible monster. Cut to restarting and picking the exact same options except for a lightbreakfast instead. Immediately she’s flirty and openly talking about how she’ll get fat for me, leading to gorging herself on pizza and taking me into the bedroom that night. Then the next morning she’s totally on-board and psyched about being instagram famous because it makes you happy and gets her a new ball, and she can’t wait to “show everyone what we can do together~”.
I like the idea of a simulator of yourself or sort of coaching someone as they try to become an internet famous gainer/bbw model, but the presentation here just seems almost like it was trying to be too diverse for its constraints. Again it may be a personal issue but the whole start of the game I’m trying to figure out where these creatures fit in society, is it like Pokemon where this world doesn’t have animals and only ever had these hybrid creatures? Why do they -need- leashes when they seem to be totally under control? They were recently purchased from a breader but are physically and mentally adults so doesn’t that imply they just come into existence as well-adjusted beings, or does that imply that “breeders” breed and raise them for roughly 18 years before separating them from any siblings and selling them off?And Ruby herself starts out seeming a little classic tsundere, but so long as she isn’t given a bowl of oatmeal with breakfast she instantly melts and starts flirting with you over breakfast, and is openly loving with you by dinner time. She seems to hate the idea of being made to gain weight, but is actually totally into it so long as it’s what you want, and the only thing separating it being forced on her or it being her own choice is if her breakfast includes oatmeal and orange juice.
I don’t know if this is just how it is or is the result of trying to rush and wrap up two characters with multiple story paths, but it feels like something with potential that needs to be polished and stretched out in order to accommodate and explain these changes.

I greatly look forward to future updates to it.

1 Like

I like petplay as a fetish, so a lot of your concerns about the world surrounding that is answered with that, an ideal life for a pet ‘sub’. I also want to say that the message behind this whole thing is about consent and choice. It’s not truly about making a model get famous. It’s one of those things that happens often in this community, that I wanted to leave players with a take-away moral. In real life, yeah it would probably be a more civil discussion about interests and where that fits in, but I wanted to teach a lesson about restraint and allowing feedees to take food at their own pace (and a bunch of other stuff too.) The work element (feedstagram modeling etc) was the driver for the plot, and the consent was something to keep in the back of your mind the whole time. As long as you make choices with the pet’s feelings in mind, then there is no way to fail. (besides my bad math in versions 1.0-1.5, but we won’t talk about that lol)

Also! welcome to the community! Could you please edit your message to hide any spoilers for people who haven’t played the game yet?

1 Like

also I do want to say, the plot hook you mentioned with the breakfast, was fixed and it was not intended for that ONE choice to kill the entire run. It was a mistake in math on my part and the player is given many opportunities and dialogue to learn from the mistake after, I just had my math wrong. So I apologize for hurting your enjoyment of the game

1 Like

My suggestion would be essentially to have either a neutral route, or neutral dialogue options.

Firstly looking at having purely neutral dialogue options: Each bad dialogue you pick is - 1, each good dialogue you pick is +1, each neutral is 0. There are a number of benefits to this method, it would even be possible to have multiple neutral options. Using the breakfast as an example: Light breakfast +1, Same as player character +0, hearty breakfast +0, Way too much -1. In this way it would allow a much greater range of perceived choice without you really needing to do much work, just a nice few lines of dialogue to reflect the additional choice! Even better the choice isn’t a true negative and won’t slam the player for making a non perfect choice. It has some drawbacks: The choices only give a sense of agency, in a way it’s a bit of a cheat. That said in VN games perception is perhaps more important, if it literally lets you add more insightful dialogue to a given scene or a later scene it’s totally worth it! The other drawback is you must have an odd number of choices that only have good +1 and bad -1 options, to make sure the player doesn’t end up at a non existant neutral ending.

Secondly there is the neutral route option. It is almost the same as above but you could have a degree of success/failure. Percentage wise you would have 25% score ratios allowing for: Worst ending, Bad ending, Good ending, Best ending ---- Adding up the scores from how the player did. I know you already have something like this in place having played through using literally all the different options, it could definately be expanded on though! :slight_smile:

The tldr: Give your player the feeling of agency even if they don’t actually have it, being story driven is the strength of the format. The only other thing I can think of is the excruciating care you have to take with the dialogue options (A true nightmare lol) I tend to suggest the dialogue option should be the first sentence of the dialogue the player character will deliver (I know this isn’t always viable due to long lines or making a choice based on an object or setting not part of a conversation, but I feel like it helps make the character’s intentions clearer to the player). Intention is key when it comes to the choices tbh since it’s your story you have perhaps the best veiw as to how exactly you can have the player know the intent of the choice.

Sorry for the long post, but since you asked for suggestions I figured I should do my best lol ^^’’ I hope something in here is useful to you!

Edit: Just one more thing (Sorry this got so long >.<) there is room for you to throw a curveball, something unexpected. The player will generally only feel cheated if they are let down by the player characer. If they player says: Right yes this is exactly what I wanted him to say… Watch the shock of both the real player and the player charcter merge as the choice backfires anyway. You have to be careful and have a very good story reason for this but it can be very powerful!

1 Like

Firstly looking at having purely neutral dialogue options: Each bad dialogue you pick is - 1, each good dialogue you pick is +1, each neutral is 0.

Yes! I did this exactly, actually! This is the method I used. My math was wrong, and I had the “passing” number too high that if you failed the first choice, it would not work. Since the first choice was weighted like this: -2 +0 +2. I fixed it to be -1 +0 +1 and adjusted the final threshold number so now it should be a little better! I’d like to go back in and add more opportunities to earn + lose points, as well as more CGs and things.

I tend to suggest the dialogue option should be the first sentence of the dialogue the player character will deliver

I have them matching word for word already! So maybe some more rewording is necessary? Also just to say, I wanted the user to have the ‘bad’ route as the neutral ending, so maybe I should rename it to ‘neutral end’ even though it’s a lighter version of the bad end. I want the fail to happen first as it’s important to my story.

what do you think about choices that don’t show up until after you’ve done one playthrough?

also I didn’t say but thank you so much for taking the time to write this feedback!! I love that you brought up the neutral path, it makes me think I should flesh that out better if possible.

1 Like

It can be really interesting to have choices that show up after a playthrough, you would just need to be careful which ones. It almost reminds me of the Clannad VN needing multiple playthroughs to get something to finally get the “true ending”. You would need to be careful with it… Try something like making it so the player can use prior knowledge of an event (The player gets deja vu or something). It can fall into the trap of “… this is clearly right why wasn’t it here last time?” So you need to give an in story reason as to why the player character suddenly is able to essentially change fate lol. Hell perhaps something on the bad ending could be needed even (not the worst ending I’m pretty sure noone wants to go out of their way to be so cruel in a game that’s really trying to push kindness XD) In that you would need essentially the curveball choice I talked about before… Something where the player is shown to have good intentions but it still backfires. Taking the idea even further, there can be whole hidden story branches (This is getting into the realm of “Oh god why did I write so much?!”) but it is definately a good way of having the player explore the game more, especially if you can set a precident that a bad event could lead to a good one. I guess i’m saying it’s awesome IF you can come up with a good way that fits your story :smiley:

Obviously, take my advice with a pinch of salt; you already made an awesome story. If there is anything here that’s useful it’s all yours though! :smiley:

1 Like

I got the bad end by asking if they were hungry when they first came in and by telling a shitty joke.
I was kind of puzzled why I got the bad end when I had otherwise been very nice to them.

Man if there was like a full version of this game with hours of content I would by this game no matter the price

2 Likes

I hope you replayed it to find the good end!

I hope their will be more in the future becuase I really loved this

1 Like

Just downloaded and played through the game, and I really enjoyed it. Spot on, mate!

One quick question, if I may: is there only the two endings, good and bad, or are there others in the works?

1 Like

Looking at all this feedback, I will be reworking the neutral ending, as well as adding some more CGs!

2 Likes

Would an outfit selection be possible?

1 Like

This game was amazing!
I am pretty sure everyone would love an extended version/sequel/full version!

3 Likes

I was meaning to write a bit on this one yesterday, but things happened and I kinda wasn’t able. Still, now I can.

All in all, I don’t have too much to criticise outside of the writing at certain points being rather clumsy. There’s no actual mechanics on this Visual Novel (outside of multiple choices, which don’t have much room for criticism to begin with), but there’s a few things here and there I do wanna bring up.
So, the art is great. Up to par with your other VNs, which is about as expected as it gets. Can’t complain about good art assets, Y’know.
Now, I mentioned the writing is kinda clumsy at points. That might be because this is the first part of a longer project (after reading through the thread, that’s what I’m getting), but it still feels like something worth bringing up. Usually, subtlety tends to work better for story-first formats, that said, considering this (regardless of it being an incomplete project or otherwise) was a gamejam entry, I get the need of making sure the point behind the plot is understood, and if this is as far as this game’s gonna go, my criticism becomes moot. Now, if/since this is going to be part of a larger project, I’d personally advice reworking the writing in this segment to be more discreet and utilizing the next segment/second act to slowly reveal the story’s theme. My experience in writing has taught me that the most impactful part to deliver a point is in the third act, alongside the climax.
On a final note, the world right now feels a bit flat. It really could use further development. You have a good theme, and if you can find a way to build a world around it in a way that allows you to explore multiple facets of it, you’ll pretty much have your work cut out for you. Still, that’s easier said than done, moreso when this is the kind of thing not everyone can do. Regardless of that, keep at it, you ain’t doing bad at all.

Not sure how well this entry will do in the game jam itself, but one way or the other, it’s a damn good entry. Nitpicks aside, I really enjoyed it for what it was.
Good luck.

PS: I forgot to mention, I would love it if you pushed the neonpunk aesthetic. It fits the theme, it fits the character designs and it could give you a good starting point as to where to take your worldbuilding towards.

Love this game. I played throughout every possible choice and I love it. I love the different endings you get and the option to choose between a boy and a girl. The game is awsome i love the plot an the ard. I would love to see a sequel or an extended vesion of this game. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Finally got around to playing this, and I must say, it was quite enjoyable!

The minute the game mentioned ‘breeding/lineage’ I was SOLD. (But that’s just a kink/interest of mine, haha)

The setting intrigues me quite a bit. I really like the world you’ve got here, where human-animal hybrid pets can be bred, bought, sold and the ethical considerations surrounding that. Including, of course, the weight gain aspects! It’s quite a unique concept and I’d love to see more done in this universe, hell, maybe even make a derivative work of sorts (with permission!).

The art is also quite epic - the main menu screen being animated isn’t something I’ve seen before (live2D?) and it was very impressive.

You also made good choices with the music and pacing of the game.

Excellent work!

2 Likes

I feel like multiple parts and an explanation on if you’re a few people who have these or if everyone does but it’s not all kitsunes and like an interaction scene with another or something like that and maybe like some choices like light breakfest first part then heavy next part and then buffet next part would be nice to show like this character has come a long way