CreatureUnknown's Coinpurse Kobold

ngl i really love the artstyle and design, and would love for you to continue development :smiley:

1 Like

This is Very good with Great art and a good idea, It is fun to sneak around and steal gold coins and it is fun to see how far you can go before they find you be but Enemies find me to easily so it make it to hard in some places like the Castle and the bar.

1 Like

I adore this game, honestly the biggest thing for me was the sound design and how you could really hear the impact of consuming all those coins, which really amped up the tension of slowly jingling my way past a guard while trying not to be too loud.
The physics were a bit jank, but nothing too bad outside a couple times where I would get stuck (double stuck I guess?) in a door and keep popping out the wrong side.
I do wish some of the coin placements in the second floor of the tavern werenā€™t so dependent on luring since you canā€™t lure people off the second floor though.
This is definitely one of the games from this jam Iā€™m going to keep coming back to and trying to get a high score in.

6 Likes

this was great!
I liked CreatureUnknownā€™s art before playing the game, and the art in the game is some of my favorite heā€™s done! the dragon is perfect, and the main characterā€™s growth and physics look good

my favorite map was the tavern; the piles of gold by the stage and the bar were easy enough to get to without having to bait out enemies. I liked sitting just outside of a guardā€™s hearing and eating a fat stack of coins

the castle level felt pretty unrewarding in comparison to the other two levels, but it was fun to explore anyway. I kinda wish it were clearer how much money you could take from the throne room before you get the ending, especially since Iā€™d get way higher than the 300-or-so that triggers it on a normal raid of the tavern. I wish itā€™d let me eat into the thousands range, and then stop me when I couldnā€™t fit through the door >:D

if thereā€™s anything I want to see in the game in the future, itā€™d probably be more clarity in the UI. I wanna be able to visually tell things like

• what weight prevents me from squeezing through a gap
  • the audible range of the sounds Iā€™m making (e.g. gulping)
  • how close I am to freeing myself when squeezing

this is set to be my favorite game in the jam, and I hope you keep working on it! this is already a fine game, but the formula is just begging for expansion. ha ha, expansion pun
hope you win!

6 Likes

Really fun! Genuinely impressed given the short time it took to produce. I found myself strategizing a lot about what areas to go through first and which ones are possible to even do on an overfilled stomach. Would be fun if there were a few more mechanics that would make the stealth more complex, like different ways to distract the guards (do kobolds have fire breath?) or different types of npcā€™s that behaved in different ways. Also I think it would be funny if your gut jingled like an actual coinpurse, i think that was the intention but the sound doesnā€™t appear to be present in the game. This is definetly a fun game that could be expanded upon and i love the environments and character designs, and the bits or writing are cute!

4 Likes

Oh man do I love this game!
Yeah the belly physics are a bit wobbly and not in a good way, but thatā€™s a small thing. Also the movement is a bit floaty, like itā€™s an ice level. My fault for running in a stealth game. As for my final critique, the villagers bellies just look off to me. Itā€™s just a blob pasted onto them, and I can still see their clothes underneath if they jiggle.

Anyway, onto the good stuff.

This game really just hits all the right buttons for me; cute characters, fun and rewarding gameplay, stuffing without weight gain, walking around and doing stuff while stuffed, object vore, both in game and in seeing Coinpurse grow! Stealthā€™s not my strong suit but as long as I get to take my time and keep calm (and learn how to get some of the guards/villagers stuck) I got better, way better in fact! Got a nice 10K for my dragon~

Now for the whole reason Iā€™ve decided to make an account here and stop lurking:

Iā€™m very proud to announce that Iā€™ve done the impossible, robbed the innā€™s upper floor and made off with a whopping 1000+ coins.

Being sneaky!

A nice round number! (Disguised as a beanbag chair~!)

Can only put one picture in a post, so posting the rest in a reply.

3 Likes

Let me tell you struggling out of the door while the bard was slowly getting suspicious was intense! Had to leave the poor kobold hanging in the door with his groaning belly as the bardā€™s suspicion went down.

Escape!

Even nabbed some off the bard before I left, the theme of greed is really well represented in this game. My own greed is what got me caught 9 times out of 10, just a couple more coinsā€¦ gotta get his belly just a bit biggerā€¦

3 Likes

This was pretty fun! I have some complaints, mostly echoes of things already said about floaty controls and some Jankā„¢, but overall this was a good experience. Some specific bugs I noticed are that if you have your camera zoomed out too far, the UI can vanish behind a tree on the Farm map when you try to leave, making it seem like the game crashed or softlocked. In addition, the Bad End (or not?) Scene seems to be missing an image, and if you click too fast on buttons really weird things happen because they donā€™t disable after first being clicked on.

Iā€™d be really interested in seeing this developed further, and thank you for creating it!

2 Likes

it says that there are 4 different cutscenes for getting perfect scores on each level I have all high scores but there is one that I cant get is there 2 different endings for one of the levels because I am getting just one

Lmao I love everything about this, this one might genuinely be my favorite of the bunch
itā€™s very simple but very cute/fun and very addictive! the character designs are all appealingly simple, the overall visual aesthetic is really neat, the music and sound design is perfect, and the theme of ā€œgreedā€ fits better here than most other entries i think because hilariously the biggest obstacle is the playerā€™s own greed even without most of the gaining mechanics involved (every time i go back for more gold itā€™s another chance for the guard to catch me, nevermind the big olā€™ belly slowing me down lmao)
honestly iā€™d kill to see a continuation or expansion of this! Or, yā€™know, failing murder iā€™d happily just pay money for more lmao.

2 Likes

Super fun game, interesting premise, but I did find one strange bug.

The small village stage, I went to the backdoor of the northern house. Something was going on with the door and the belly, because after what sounded like the door slamming open and shut repeatedly for several seconds, the koboldā€™s belly physics went into another plane of existence as it dragged the little guy into the air, out of bounds, and landed on the other side of the wall of the playable area.

5 Likes

love this game I was wondering if we could see how big the kobold gets after he gets caught by the guard that was blushing

1 Like

Geez, the presentation and application of such is pretty stellar. Wasnā€™t expecting a full polygonal + sprite stealth experience but there it was! Not much else to say that everyone hasnā€™t said already, though I did notice something strange.

I figured that after getting caught at the castle that I wasnā€™t happy with the result and went in again. The High Alert for that stage actually had LESS guards in certain places than the regular version did. I hit the farm to see what was different there, and it seemed to have one less guard than normal. When I went back in for High Alert, the guard was back. So now I wonder if High Alert doesnā€™t clear properly at times? It would make sense for the weirdness.

But yeah, presentation, background music, and those lovely endorphin hitting clinky coin effects are incredible and gameplay is solid! All and all a real winner!

3 Likes

When I went on high alert runs the guards seemed to be working correctly for me. They were all out in the stalls area for the market level. And the farm also had all its guard slots (that Iā€™m aware of) filled. Seems like you just got blursed by RNG. less guards in one place, but still more overall?

Does this game have guard RNG?? Thatā€™d be interesting to know. In any case itā€™s never a complete killer. Which I guess Iā€™m mixed about since High Alert feels like a ā€œYou really shouldnā€™t go hereā€ sort of deal. Having it turn out that maybe thereā€™s another guard or something kinda feels like itā€™s a Beware the Dog sign with a very friendly dog. But I dunno, admittedly I didnā€™t experiment a ton with it.

It totally does. The farm stage sometimes does and then sometimes doesnā€™t have a guard patrolling the interior of the south house. And Iā€™ve had normal alert levels where there were two guards in the field and no others.

You and the team did a great job! Absolutely love this concept, being a little kobold just devouring all the gold! Super fun game, I think I ended up getting everything done, definitely some challenges in there and super fun to try and push the limits till your practically just a ball (nailed that greed theme, would sometimes get busted just trying to get that last little bit of gold and getting wedged in a door trying to run!) The characters and art is super cute and the sound design is brilliant, definitely sells Coinpurseā€™s namesake.

I think the biggest hurdle I had is sometimes the scenery doesnā€™t go transparent and can be a little tough to see, also a surprise when thereā€™s a huge pile of gold behind it when a sudden E prompt pops up! A few little bugs here and there too, and sometimes the guards suddenly are alert without any notification (had one fox in the keep levwl that just had it in for me XD) Nothing too bad though and with the progress through failure doesnā€™t feel too bad.

But yeah a super fun romp! Would love to see more after the jam if you fleshed it out!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s some randomization with the guards being present or not, what gold there is, and also some of the wardrobes and chests and crawling hole things in the inn, though I sort of ran out of time to tune the values and implement it as much as I wanted to.

3 Likes

I noticed that the game updated about an hour ago, as a gamejam game, you are supposed to keep the originally submitted version of the game available for the sake of parity (and because itā€™s in the rules).

The only update was that I posted a discussion, which I also posted here: What should I add to Coinpurse Kobold?

The game file was not updated at all, nor any of the product page

2 Likes