Crusader Kings 3: Weight Gain and Consequences

Actually, Mange was doing everything right in this case, he was trying to fix whatever Paradox did to models and clothes after the Iberia update. For some reason the clipping became worse, even though the point of this whole Paradox overhaul was to fix clipping issues. It seems it excessively relied on the body shapes being close to vanilla, which broke bigger body shapes that we need for our mod.

Yes, I personally only like female weight gain and prefer men to stay slim. The way I made it work is that after you pass the “dynasty of fat women” decision you have an option to also make your house “a dynasty of slim men”, which disables physical trait influence on male weight. The reason I did that is because after you breed increased appetite into your dynasty, both your men and women become fat, and staying slim as a man becomes impossible. Also fertility decreases by a ton because both genders are now fat. So this option helps prevent that. I tested it well enough imo, but if it doesn’t work for any reason, I’ll look into that.

Also there are now game settings that adjust the rate of weight gain and the influence of traits on your weight. Borabora was asking for a way to make the weight gain more like in the old versions of the mod, and these settings should help achieve that.

Honestly, I don’t think there’s a way, unless Mange does something that would help with that. And even that would not necessarily prevent clipping for very fat people. I also use the undress mod, and in the nude form fat people look fine. Maybe I should make a setting that automatically undresses all superobese people.

5 Likes

As a short-term thing, would you be fine with having a version of the mod with a narrower visual weight range (reduce the slider increases past neutral vanilla weight by 50%) until clipping at the extreme high end is resolved?

Now that there’s multiple people interested in working on the mod, it may also be a good idea to publish it on github to help it keep up with both mod dependency changes and basegame changes. The hype would be immense if @mcc45 @Paragon @vocon92964 and @YasiT teamed up to bonk out the remaining bugs and really get things rolling.

I don’t know, I spent a lot of time balancing the numbers to make the visual weight as close (or believable) as possible to the displayed one, so I don’t really want to do that. The clipping doesn’t make the game unplayable and it is unlikely there is going to be a huge amount of superfat people. So for now I believe it’s better to leave it as is.

If a large interest in contributing to this mod arises, I could set up a gitlab (github bans this kind of mods, I believe Carnalitas are on gitlab).

1 Like

i rlly wish someone could backport this to CK2

There’s a mod for ck2 floating around these forums which has a lot of functionality to it. Unfortunately and also obviously it doesn’t have 3d visuals though

There is the Fatocracy mod for that, it lacks a lot of localisation but has a fair amount of content to go through. Also has compatibility with Luxuria Fantasia and Tale of Nine Tails (not on this site) if you want mess around with those.

1 Like

I really do need to at least go back and finish the localizations to that at the very least.

1 Like

Hahaha, sorry? :joy: Looks like I at least cursed you to doing something cool! It looks great!

1 Like

Sadly from a 3d perspective PoV, it would be excessively difficult to make existing meshes work at such extremes, and this would also be a very high maintenance option with many compromises. Its not only clipping, which can be resolved with a static model overlay and gene tweaks, but also skeletons and animations.

I would not recommend it, but it is likely possible to overcome this with a custom mesh in the clothes section that ignore most the existing body. This could be coupled with a custom animation that does not clip, but the rest still will. Its basically an exoskeleton that multiplies bones. It would get its general form from the base body and expand it in such a way that clothes custom built for it would not have issues. This would allow characters to reach larger sizes with little clipping, but greatly limits clothing choice and custom body part sizes. Its also generally too high maintenance to recommend for anything long term.

I don’t know if there is huge demand for collaboration here, but I at the very least hope to put some of my experience with Clausewitz to use. A lot of what IMO this mod needs does not require this skill however, such as writing, art, or even just ideas and etc. Having an open link for contributions in this sphere might be beneficial in making a mod that both draws on the talents and interests of the community, while a gitlab would help those closely collaborating to not step one each others toes.

I’m going to try out your updated variant and work on that going forward. It sounds like you have deployed a decent fix and I look forward to seeing it in action!

With just CBO, no WGaC no Carnalitas, I still had the flat butt/strange breasts problem. @cheddar mentioned the dependency and the mod installation instructions now say you need Carnalitas. Didn’t do further testing. I could’ve gotten something mixed up, though.

Apologies for not posting this sooner, but as expected things broke after my changes. Namely, getting rid of these files gets rid of the weight slider values used by WGaC - @vocon92964 made it so most of the bar is for fatness, and just the left edge is for skinnyness/emaciation, which is good but after getting rid of those files everyone starts emaciated, as that left side is the WGaC starting weight. Similarly, the values for the various states of fatness are much lower than they should be - for instance super obese is 0 when that’s the middle of the bar, normal weight on the vanilla/CBO/Carnalitas scale.

I’ve fixed this with a couple tweaks to some files, see below. I basically just replaced the values with ones similar to the old WGaC values - prior to lengthening the fat part of the weight slider. The more elegant solution would be to investigate if we could keep the fat part of the slider long by selectively commenting out the whole files I got rid of, but this method works for now. What I’ve done might limit how extreme the models can get and speed up gains, as only half the weight slider is used for fatness, but they still get plenty big and it might be an accidental/lazy solution to model clipping at high weights.

The first file that needs to be changed is /common/script_values/wgac_base_values.txt

The changes are at the top of the file and are as follow (I commented out the original code):

#base_weight_value = -80

#chubby_threshold = -73
#overweight_threshold = -65
#obese_threshold = -55
#morbidly_obese_threshold = -36
#super_obese_threshold = 0
#blob_threshold = 20

base_weight_value = 0

chubby_threshold = 5
overweight_threshold = 15
obese_threshold = 30
morbidly_obese_threshold = 50
super_obese_threshold = 65
blob_threshold = 80

Leave the rest of the file as is (you could lower some values below to slow gaining down if you wish though)

The second file I changed is /common/defines/01_fat_defines.txt
In the middle of the file you’ll see these two lines, which I’ve commented out and replaced with appropriate values.

#DEFAULT_BASE_WEIGHT_MIN = -85 # Min for starting random base weight inclusive
	#DEFAULT_BASE_WEIGHT_MAX = -75 # Max for starting random base weight inclusive
	DEFAULT_BASE_WEIGHT_MIN = -15 # Min for starting random base weight inclusive
	DEFAULT_BASE_WEIGHT_MAX = 15 # Max for starting random base weight inclusive

This one should make it so everyone starts at a ~normal weight and not emaciated, if I understand correctly.

I believe this is all I changed - tested this pretty thoroughly and everything seemed to work, got a couple of characters from 0 to 100 weight.

Awesome! Looking forward to trying this out. You probably did a much better job fixing compatibility than I did :sweat_smile:

It’s been a while since I’ve used git/github, but it would probably beat posting code snippets and .zips here, haha

The use of the term overweight always puzzled me, since it’s a rather modern sort of phrase. I think there’s room to break up ‘chubby’ and ‘overweight’ to provide a more gradual shift from the mild buffs of ‘chubby’ to the progressively large debuffs further down the weight line. Perhaps something like soft (++), chubby (+), plush ( mixed +/-, extra modifiers for certain cultural/religious choices), fat (-)? Same can probably be said for the different flavours of obesity, though since they’re rarer irl, it’s less grating I suppose.

The long-term solution to issues with sliders scaling might be to use some form of non-linear function if possible, where weight increases above 0/‘normal’ have smaller increments but are also progressively less impacted by events that would normally increase weight by a greater amount. This could be balanced by WG events firing more often at higher weights - something that is repetitive now but could be more interesting as more content is made.

However, I don’t know how feasible that would be and there’d need to be checks to prevent skipping stages due to changes to said increments.

Changes I would like to see once slider wonkiness is ameliorated include alterations to the height system to make the buffs and debuffs less extreme - after all, historically, height has not proven to be an impediment to rulership and excessive height usually comes with enormous health problems that make them objectively worse at combat.

Just wanted to poke my head in and say I really appreciate you taking the time to add settings for the speed and rate of weight gain. Thank you so much, @vocon92964!

Hello, I will begin by apologizing if It the problem was in my end or if I messed up the load order, but with that being written… The only problem I noticed is that prowess is not adding muscle mass to people, and I find It a bit weird. Not a big problem per se, just something I noticed. Also thank you for taking time and updating the mod, especially since you don’t have that much free time.

I actually like that Prowess doesn’t affect the female characters right now. (Personally not into muscles). It would be cool if this bug could become a toggleable option in the future!

I set up a gitlab for the mod, the link is in OP. I guess if you want to contribute you could create your own branch and if it’s fine I could merge it.
Also uploaded new version (with fix to muscles), since it’s playable enough, at least it’s better than what we had before.

Yeah, that was something I didn’t test. It’s definitely not good because the weight number keeps increasing despite no visual changes. It’s now fixed.

Me too, but currently I don’t have any other system in place. In the future there should be a whole new mechanic of muscles/fitness that’s entirely separate from prowess. A setting could be added that removes muscles both visually and number-wise, but that’s not a priority currently.

For now my plans are to start implementing more stuff about feederism and gaining, like traits for being a feedee/gainer and feeder/fat admirer, feeder-feedee relationship and plot to establish it, decision/interaction and events for stuffing yourself or your feedee and so on. I haven’t implemented a reward decision for when you have successfully force fed enough kilos/pound, but it’s not a priority honestly, so if anyone wants to add that, they are free to do so. In general if you think you have something to add, you can try contributing to the project, but perhaps you should write about what you want to add in this thread first (or in gitlab issues), so that we don’t have conflicts.

5 Likes

That would be great! I’m sure I’ve said this before, but it would be awesome to have more options where you can entice other characters to eat more for rulers who are compassionate/friendly rather than sadistic. Keep up the great work, vocon!

Also, another note. I don’t know if anyone would be interested or not and I will only do it if I have your permission, vocon, but I actually slightly modify some of the flavor-text in the game and change some of what the traits do to be a bit more…light-hearted in some areas. (Not too much different. I’m no professional programmer.) If anyone does want to see what it’s like, just let me know and I’ll figure out how to branch it on gitlab.

3 Likes

This is actually great since i’m focusing more on background gameplay and balancing overhauls, so we get both new mechanical development as well as QoL and rebalancing. I’ll do a quick paste of my design document here and publish to git once I have most of the work done, since I doubt there will be any overlap between us. Most of the work is also early stage and not yet in a Clausewitz code structure. Its kinda rough and not formatted properly as a paste, since it is a personal document.

**Events**

1st person. 2+ options per, 'dutiful' and 'hedonistic'. More options for traits integration room. Act-react or direct? (eg similar to normal events, or have each choice send back another detailing the outcome).

Events writeup and localization omitted for brevity. Approx. 6 events per weight bracket.

**Balance**

The idea is to make characters potentially larger over time, and to make such weights viable. Religion, culture, artifacts, etc. Fatter realms tend to be more stable and happy, at the cost of raw ability and income. Gameplay wise, this would reflect as lower AI ambitions, better opinions and development, and an AI focus on internal civil investment and family/friends with less focus on intrigue and war. This comes at the cost of slightly lower stats, moderately lower incomes, and significantly reduced levies/militaries. More penalties?

Uses negate_x_penalty for most, so only counters penalties to stats instead of raw improvement.

Tweak balancing as area develops further. Make certain existing events less frequent and consequential.

Ideas for mechanics
**Religious**
**Holy Hedonism** - essentially hedonistic + ritural gatherings. Prestige from gluttony, appetite traits, lustful? Passively increases baseline size. Option for female variant, where only females get weight improvement, males get better passive height or strength traits.
**'Size worship' (CHANGE)** - weight and height traits are improved and holy at later levels. Health bonus for characters countering penalties. Option for female variant, where only females get weight improvement, males get better passive height or strength traits

**Artifacts**
**Books** - dedicated to negating stat penalties. For fertility, health, stats, only counters penalties.
**Trinkets** - Feeding tubes, mobility aids, favored and massive eating plates/buckets/whatever, specialized cleaning/pleasure equipment.
**Thrones** - Extra large thrones, extra decadent too. Bed throne? Import CK3 throne mesh for gfx integration ref.

**Culture**
**Hearty/ample eaters (CHANGE)** - Better traits for weight/height sizes. Larger average size, height and weight. Traits are generally less penalized or have better spreads. Health and fertility and lifespan bonus. Significantly lowers holding income and levies. Option for female weight only, males get improved strength traits.
**Size idolizing culture (CHANGE)** - Prestige and opinion from size, and special bonuses for the larger sizes.

**Court positions?**
Link to above, what positions and effects?

**ADD?**

If anyone has any feedback for changes etc, please feel free to drop a comment.

1 Like

I don’t get what you mean by
Option for female variant, where only females get weight improvement, males get better passive height or strength traits.
It is suggesting me that certain things can be locked behind gender, and is something I personally find without much sense.