Culinary Combat (CozyLad's Submission)

the demo is really great , i played on all the difficulty , it left me wanting more thats for sure , both the visual and gameplay are both so enjoyable <3 <3 as well as feeling pretty unique , it sure will get my vote <3

1 Like

A really fun game with great art, good enough to make me say: “Awwww… it’s ending already?” Definately impressive! If you do make a longer version I would be really happy to play it! Literally my only little nitpick is I would have liked a way to hide the text box when the two girls reached their max size so I could ogle them a bit :stuck_out_tongue: Great job and good luck in the competition!

3 Likes

hmmm… i totally agree that there should be some kind of way to see the opponent character when a textbox is active. one solution i’ve seen to that is by making the textboxes transparent, in a way similar to how @Roops 's game did it. i’ll try that out, but in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas for how to deal with that in later versions, i’d love to hear them.

2 Likes

Whilst transparent text boxes work, it’s not the optimal way to enjoy your artwork, my suggestion would be simply upon battle completion the text box dissapears. Either that or you could add a “Look button” to the combat, literally just hides the text box until another button is pressed. I guess another way would be just to add a gallery where you can see all unlocked stages for each girl? I’m sure there are other solutions as well, I’m sure you will find something that suits how you want to make the game :smiley:

5 Likes

Visual Novels often have a button to hide the text window until you make another input.

1 Like

I do think there is something to be said for the nice aesthetic you established with the contrast between the solid black textbox background and the white font! Transparency would give you a peak behind, but might not look as clean.

Another option is trying to take into consideration the height of the textbox when drawing/placing your characters. Making sure the focal point (e.g. the character’s belly) is not obscured!

This is incredible, a fun short game to play but also I love your art so much!
<3 keep up the great work

1 Like

I know it might seem like a stupid question but how do i choose difficulty? I am on the menu where it says all the three difficulties but i cant find the button to select?

that’d be z, my dude.

1 Like

Well this was fun, did it all in one go!

If you do continue this, then i would be willing to pay a decent game price!

Soon this place will have a store…soon!
Like seriously? People here does great stuff when they have an incentive and/or motivation.
Hope you all will have a great day.

2 Likes

This game is my favourite! The character designs are adorable and the style you draw in is great. Plus, soundtrack is a bop <3 love ittt.

1 Like

Really fun gameplay complementing a cute little scenario and characters! The difficulty wasn’t too bad, even playing on the hardest difficulty, I had a bit of trouble with Emilia, but was able to get her after my 2nd continue.

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

Category Total
Basics: 20000
Art: 300
Writing: 240
Concept/Design 1440
Msc: 200
Total: 22180

Comments:

I have to admit this was a very interesting game. The concept was quite simple but novel and challenging; making the game easy to pick up but also very hectic at times. The art assets are also quite well done with the small amounts of animation such as blinking and talking adding a feeling of a bit of polish to overall game. Unlike Cozy’s submission from last year the game feels incomplete, but that is not a bad thing as it leaves the game plenty of room to expand on and this is definitely one of the games from this year, I would love to see further development on.

Kilif Score

Category Total
Art: 345
Writing: 310
Concept/Design 1440
Msc: 195
Total: 22290

Comments:

Extremely polished game with tight controls, excellent graphics, dialogue, music, the whole package. My main complaint here is that there isn’t more (and the brutal difficulty, but that’s what easy mode is for).

Juxtaterrestrial Score

Category Total
Art: 377
Writing: 313
Concept/Design 1406
Msc: 165
Total: 22261

Comments:

I’m disappointed. The game did not live up to you name. It wasn’t nearly as Cozy as your previous game. That being said I loved this game! It’s just as evocative at Penelope’s christmas even if it does so in different ways. The facial expressions and subtle animations are sooo sickeningly endearing that i can’t help but love both characters. Their overall designs match their personalities as well. The mechanics are tight. They’re simple and easy to understand while being easily expandable for future development. The biggest criticism I could offer for the game is that I want more and I generally consider that one of the weakest criticisms. I really hope you keep expanding on it!

Total points: 66731

2 Likes

YES! This won! Congratulations!

1 Like

Just played this during the Fortnight game jam and it is really easy to see why this won and I can’t wait to see this fleshed out and I loved the way how the game plays like a rhythm game which is always a jam of mine

2 Likes

congrats man, this game is amazing

1 Like

just wanted to take a moment to say how ridiculously thankful i am for the overwhelming amount of support that this demo has received. i’m still figuring out a lot of the specifics, but i will absolutely work towards turning culinary combat into a full game for the future. i hope y’all will be patient with me!

12 Likes

Hell yeah! Can’t wait to feed Priscilla some more! And meet the rest of the family!

2 Likes

Yeah!! I’m excited, can’t wait!

I gotta say, I agree with this submission being the winner. The presentation is great and doesn’t skimp on character. The core gameplay loop is simple enough to speak for itself, polished enough to hold up a full game, and streamlined enough to be easily expanded upon.

4 Likes