Debu Complex : a tamagotchi-like game - 26/04/23 | HIATUS (version 0.8.1)

Fix for the weight gain formula is up.

That’s one of the advantages of sharing my progress: I can get feedback and bugs reports. It’s like having a team of QA testers, that’s neat.

Don’t worry, the game’s not going anywhere!

I’m going to need more details. Did you feed her the first time you invited her, and did you then use the debug button to invite her a second time? If the answer is “yes” to both, then it is expected behavior.

Emma’s status is saved, so if she’s stuffed, she will remain stuffed for the rest of the day across all save files. And you can normally only invite a given NPC once per day, so there’s no greeting dialog for “stuffed” Emma since this is a situation that is not supposed to happen. Using the debug option to invite her bypasses all limitations, so there are inconsistencies in the dialogs.

Yup.

There will be, as well as various other accessories like piercings and necklaces. I only need to make the sprites, but as the outfits system should be functional right now, I can start adding a few small accessories. I’d also like to add tattoos, but that’ll be for after I finish reworking the body sprites.

2 Likes

will definitely appreciate foods with even more weight/capacity than watermelon, and even bigger bellies LOL

Tried the game, nice work so far. I have a few things I want to give feedback on.

• I don’t know if it’s input delay from my virtual machine or not, but Tetris controls are sometimes too sensitive or too unresponsive randomly switching between the two ends.
  • Double Burgers are incredibly overpowered. The virtual character seems to keep almost all the weight from them.
  • Scrolling an empty section in the Fashion tab will crash the game.

GameMaker games are problematic in Wine.
I played the game in a Windows 8.1 virtual machine, and apart from an incredibly high CPU usage by the game itself it is a pretty headache free experience. Had to set 3 Cores and 2 Threads in my virt-manager instance to run the game well.

1 Like

In my case, it has stopped working on a few releases but now it’s flawless. I just mentioned Wine to report a bug since it could be a Wine issue but it turned out to come from the game. But thanks, I’ll look into virtual machines next time I have trouble with a Windows game.

And yeah, Tetris is touchy. I have to play it with a mouse to have a chance but sliding a piece at the bottom is extremely tricky

Regarding Tetris, I’d like to get some feedback from other people to determine whether or not it’s an emulation issue. So you windows players out here: how do the keyboard inputs in Tetris feel like? Maybe I can try to add sensibility adjustment options, but I can’t promise anything…

Double burgers are indeed one of the most powerful weight gain mediums available, as expected from their status of double junk food. For now, at least. There’s one more thing I can play with to balance things: availability. The best items will have some form of downside, for some items it is a direct malus (like gulping down fucking butter or oil, which will bring your character’s mood down and limit your gameplay options), and other items will be straight up hard to find. For the cakes, which are another category of calory bombs, the recipes will be hard to obtain and stores will sell them at a very high price. I have something similar in mind for the double burger. But keep in mind the game is still in early development, and things can drastically change from one version to another.

For the crash, I’m interested. Do you have any more details? What do you mean by “scrolling” (Feel free to ELI5, I’m french)? Is there an error message when the game crashes?

1 Like

I used to have that same crash in 0.6.0 but it’s been fixed since. It happened when you tried to browse headwear in the fashion menu

One issue I’ve had is every time you speak to Emma while with a large belly she repeats her dialog. Also what resolution does the game actually run at? I’d like to know because I want to see how it looks on my CRT PC monitor running at native resolution or double that.

Ok, I’ve held this back for a while but IMO, there is one major problem with the tetris minigame:
Spending more time playing tetris than the rest of the game

Because there’s no other source of income, I end up playing it constantly, on a teeny, tiny screen that actively hurts my eyes because there’s no way I’m changing screen resolution below 1080p for one game. The inputs are indeed slower on keyboard, but at least it allows for rotating blocks in both directions, a limitation that makes mouse control more frustrating.

Fixing the problems with tetris however, means sinking more development time into an aspect of the game that isn’t central to the rest of the game. Don’t get me wrong, minigames can be fun but this ain’t it, chief. I’d rather it was disabled for now and revisited later once the rest of the game is more fleshed-out or other options are made available for people that don’t want to play tetris for 3 hours for a couple hundred ingame bucks.

1 Like

I didn’t do anything to fix it, so it’s still there. If anyone has more information about these crashes, especially how to consistently reproduce them, I’ll take it.

What do you mean by “repeat”? Are you stuck in a dialog loop? If so, what’s the dialog line?
The game is 1200x600.

I wish you’d have complained a bit sooner, it would probably have saved you a few hours: there’s a cheat option in the debug menu to give you more money. I left it there specifically because Tetris is the only way to make more money at the moment, and since I want people to test things, I don’t want them to be stuck with no money.

More minigames and ways to increase the passive incomes are planned. That said, the intended way to play is not to spend hours and hours on a minigame to earn money, but to play short sessions once or twice a week. So when there will be more ways to earn money and everything has been thoroughly tested, I will limit the number of times you can play a minigame per day.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is actually a bug, but after unlocking the emma feeder stuff you are locked out of the feeder options if she becomes stuffed. She’ll repeat her stuffed lines and go home until the real time timer on digestion finishes.

It’s a little annoying because it seems to happen even if you only feed her one or two items, which isn’t that hard to do accidentally when your character is standing next to her. Worth noting I did progress the whole thing with the debug option if that matters at all.

Otherwise really been enjoying this update though, awesome work and worth the wait!

1 Like

This is intended. Emma’s stuffed dialogs take priority over the feeder options, it seemed more natural than the other way around. I could also have written a variation of her “feeder mode” dialogs when she’s stuffed herself, but I was getting really tired of writing dialogs and that would have been a lot of extra lines to add.

1 Like

First of all, amazing game! Definitely one of the most enjoyable and promising on this site, so i’m looking forward to the next updates.

I’ve got one question: no matter how many times i stuff my character in front of emma, she doesn’t show any intention on becoming a feeder. Is there any specific event that has to happen before to trigger that?

1 Like

I have a bit of a question about Emma. I’ve gathered she doesn’t like to see me drunk and she appreciates me giving her food or talking to her even if I don’t buy anything but this is usually only worth 0.25 points. But sometimes she just surges by like 12 points. How exactly does her relationship with the player increase?

Thank you!

The way it works is there’s a counter which increases a bit every time your character eats something while the NPC is in your room. The fuller your character is when she eats, the more the counter will increase. When the counter reaches a certain threshold, it will enable a special dialogue with Emma, which will allow you to progress to the next step.
Progress is saved when Emma leaves the room.

When the relationship level is <25, you earn 8.5 points every time you speak to her. Then until 50, you earn a lot less by talking to her. At that point giving her gifts she likes will increase the relationship level much faster. And after 50, only gifts will increase her relationship level. There’s some dialogs that also increase or decrease the relationship level, but there’s not that many yet.

I don’t have the code in front of me so I may have forgotten something, but I think that’s pretty much all.

2 Likes

Might have been reported already, but when I load, my money is $20.

Also, is there a required relationship level for Emma to become our feeder? Or do we just have to stuff ourselves and keep talking to her?

Not a bug, I’ve always been resetting the amount of money every day before calculating the daily income. I’m doing it because I don’t want people to hoard too much for now as I will need feedback on how much money is enough once I have implemented enough features. Once the time is right, I’ll disable this auto-reset and the cheat option to add more money.

You have to be level 50 to invite her at your place, that is all. If you use the cheat option to invite her, it bypasses this limitation but the dialogs will work the same.

1 Like

Cool. It sure is taking a while for her to realize she likes big bellies though. Is there a recommended method? It seems all I can do is stuff myself to full before she says anything other than how nice my place is. XD

Is it specifically how much I eat in front of her? Rather than just talking to her while I’m full?

Oh! Something changed! I guess it WAS how much I ate in front of her!(Until you say otherwise. XD)

It’s coming together! And MY GOD! Are you PHENOMINAL at writing dialog!

Finally! Took some doing, but I’ve finally made her my feeder! God the dialog on adorable on the way though!

Glad you finally got it! Thank you for the dialogs, but they really aren’t that great. I tried to give Emma a cute and caring, albeit a bit pushy personality, but the result are really meh for the amount of time and effort I put into this. What I’m going to need the most in the future will be a good writer to help me build the different characters and make varied and good quality dialogs.

1 Like

Im having an issue where emma never loses fullness. I stuffed her one day, ever day after that shes still stuffed and won’t react to my character eating