Debu Complex : a tamagotchi-like game - 26/04/23 | HIATUS (version 0.8.1)

“Or maybe you just started a new game because you’re a greedy fuck who can’t enjoy one anime girl being fattened.”

This. This is perfection.

1 Like

i’ve been lurking for a bit, but i finally made an account to tell you your game is great! i l did some rooting around in the game files and i especially like how moddable the dialogue system is. any chance you want some help with the coding side of things? you seem to be doing very well on your own but i’d be happy to give you a hand if you could use it. i don’t seem to be able to send DMs on a new account (or else i’m just being an idiot and can’t find the option), but feel free to message me if you want to talk about it.

1 Like

Thank you ! I want this game to be as moddable and customizable as possible, and while I’m still not entirely sure how I’ll handle the other aspects of the game, at least dialogs are dealt with.

I’m not looking for help with the coding in particular for now, and I’d like to keep coding by myself at least until all the base features are implemented. Plus there’s a lot of code I want to refactor before inviting other people to help me (some parts are a total mess), and I need to produce some documentation on how everything exactly works. Once the game is finished, I think I’ll share the .yyg project file and every other resources on git or something like that. But thanks for offering, I appreciate it !

2 Likes

Somehow didn’t notice til today a demo was out. It’s even cuter than i thought it would be. :+1:

I loved the concept even when I have not played a game of a tamagotchi although something I did not like was that the mouse could not be used in some things like the radio, when I wanted to change the music I used to forget that I could only do it with the keyboard , I think it would be comfortable if you could change the music or do similar actions with the mouse and keyboard, but it is just my opinion. I hope that your project goes well, and that you enjoy doing it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ll try make the menus a bit better in a next update, yes. Since I’m constantly using the keyboard for coding it didn’t really bother me, but with the game itself mostly using mouse controls I can see how being forced to switch between the mouse and the keyboard can become a hassle.

I just pushed an small update, mostly bug fixes. Starting next week I will have very little time to work on the game, so don’t expect any major update before end of February. Of course, if you find glitches, please do let me know, I’ll try my best to fix them.

1 Like

I vote that to really help capture the Tamagotchi spirit, the game should exclusively use just the keyboard, or just the mouse, and not both.

2 Likes

I disagree- Since we’re on PC, it should use all methods we have at our disposal to create the smoothest-playing game possible.

3 Likes

To be fair, I kinda thought it would be like, like you could pick between all mouse or all keyboard, or maybe like it has all mouse, but numbers 1-9 could allow you to quickly access things, like grab the heaviest food, the one with the most calories, without having to drag back and forth, and maybe, if it was the 1-9 thing, you can bind certain things to them, like instantly grab an apple, order them to go to the bed without clicking it, stuff like that.

Didn’t even think about adding hotkeys even though I use it to test stuff while coding. I’ll add that to my to-do list, it could be a nice QoL function to add in the future (though I can’t promise when I’ll add it, but at least it’ll be somewhere in my backlog).

3 Likes

I’ve been a bit less busy with work than I expected last week, so I decided to work a bit on the character’s sprites ; start to polish them a bit and see what kind of quality I wanted to aim for. So I’ll leave that here.
Prototype2

That being said, hands are my archenemy, fuck hands.

That’s only the start though, I still have to go through every single sprite to correct and redraw a couple details and add the shading. That’ll be a lot of work and probably won’t be ready before a long time. I also want to make multiple sprites for the head, arms and hands (sigh) to make the character feel more alive and not just an immobile lifeless doll. Finally, I’ll work on clothes and accessories. There won’t be much choice at first, probably just one set of default clothes and undies and a few color swaps.

So that’s all I have in mind for now graphic-wise. I started looking into full mouse controls, but it’s kind of janky for now.

So that’s all for me for now, and that’s probably going to be my last update until the end of the month as things have started to heat up a bit today, that’s probably all the time I’ll have to work on the game for now.

27 Likes

I think you did well enough on the hands for the artstyle. The forearm’s length and width feel like they need more work for example.
I understand you want to keep the coding to yourself and you seem very capable but I think you should stop working on the art and get someone (definitely not me. I can’t even tell red from magenta) to do it for you. You seem to be much more productive and have more fun in the conceptual and coding side.
And if eventually you want someone to help with code or polish the English text. I’m at your service

1 Like

it would be interesting if weight could gain to different parts of the body
eg breasts, belly, hips
and maybe different foods gain weight to a particular area

1 Like

Omg do you think youre ever gonna recontinue codename Debu game? I was so sad i still regularly visit to see if there were any updates would absolutely love seeing the game actually happen

this…this is that game (or what it was to be if I am understanding their posts), lol

3 Likes

Oh great to know thanks for the information

I suggested this higher up on the post, and the reply was that it’s a low priority feature for now. OP is more interested in getting the game feature-complete before worrying too much about overdoing it on the gain shapes and such.

1 Like

Sorry for the lack of answers, life has been really busy in the past couple weeks.

Regarding the art, I’d absolutely love to find someone to take care of this. But that’s going to be a lot of work, and I think it’ll be easier to find someone willing to help me once the game is a bit more complete. I already started looking into fiverr for a quick help here and there, but so far it’s been a little underwhelming…
As for the text, I have been thinking a bit and I’ll also ask for help later on. There are still a lot of features I want to introduce, and the way I manage the dialogs will evolve as I implement them. So for now, it may be a bit too early for that and I’d rather work with the current files until I come up with a “final” version. That being said, if you or anyone else really want me to implement new dialogs, I’ll gladly add them. I posted a couple guidelines for that in post #37.

So, I’m not exactly back yet, but I though I’d come and say hi because it feels like an eternity since I last came on the forums. I kept working a little on the game, finished the menu mouse controls, made various improvements, fixed a couple glitches and made some design tests. I’ll try to post an update some time next week.

4 Likes

I noticed the feeder part of the kinks page for the girls’ personalities. Can we have multiple girls at once? And can they fatten EACH OTHER up?

Right now, you can only have one. But in a future update, I’ll give the option to have multiple save files ; I have already started to work on this and it is the next “core” feature I want to implement.

I didn’t plan on making the different characters the player has created interact with each other. But there will be NPCs and events to put the characters in different situations, like inviting one or two NPCs at your character’s home and turning an innocent movie night into a force feeding festival. I’d like the outcome of these events to depend on multiple factors, like how close you are to the characters, their personal tastes and, of course, the player’s actions and decisions during said event. For now, it’s only specifications though, I haven’t started to actually work on this. But that’s what I would like to do.

Maybe I can use the different save files to turn the user’s characters into NPCs when they’re not used. I’ll add that to the backlog, it’ll probably be interesting to look into (even though I can already predict managing the save files will become a nightmare).

1 Like