Debu Complex : a tamagotchi-like game - 26/04/23 | HIATUS (version 0.8.1)

I just a want to have a feeder/feedee girl that I fatten up who loves it, while there’s also a cute shy blond girl who’s against being fattened that the first girl gradually feeds.

Alright, new version is up !

The main new “feature” is full mouse control in the menus. I also changed the sprite of the character’s illustration for her smallest size and added a simple background to see how it would look like, and fixed a couple glitches. The full changelog is available on the itchio page.
I also made some preparations for future features, like the save system. The save file structure has been slightly modified, but you should still be able to use your old save file on the current version. If not, please back up your old save file before starting a new game and MP it to me so I can see what’s going on.

As always, if you find a glitch, please let me know. I’ll do my best to fix it ASAP.

Next thing I’ll work on is the multiple save system, so expect it for the next update. Due to the changes I’ll have to make on the save system itself, old save files will most probably not work anymore though. I’ll also keep working on the dialog system and a couple more minor features.

9 Likes

I’m not sure if you meant to, but that’s just a link to itchio itself, not the game itself.

Uh, didn’t mean to add any link… It must have been automatic, I’ll fix it. The link to the game page is in the top post.

3 Likes

Damn, I really like that concept and can’t wait to see your progress on this game. (≧▽≦)

Hey guys, new version is up.

TL;DR is on the itchio page. For those who want an overly detailed version of the changelog, keep reading.

> MAIN FEATURE : better save system.

In this version, I reworked the save system. The most notable improvement is multi-save support ; you can now create up to 10 active save files.

When creating a new character, a new save file is created after the tutorial sequence is either completed or skipped, and you are given the control of your character for the first time. If you have 10 (or more) save files in the save folder, you won’t be able to start a new game. I also added a save confirmation message, as suggested by Kitsune.

I also made sure the new save system would be future-proof. I chose this save system because it was very powerful and flexible, but if it has one flaw, it is that it relies on Game Maker’s object indexing system. On a finished game, it would not really be a problem. But on a work in progress, it is not exactly ideal, as Game Maker Studio 2 seems to reindexes all the objects whenever I create or delete an object. So I assigned each object with a static id, and modified the scripts to use this index instead of Game Maker’s default index. And even if, for some reason, this new index method fails, I am still using Game Maker’s default index as a fallback method, so it should be fairly sturdy. Finally, I added a lot of verification to futureproof the save system.

In short, any save created from now on should be compatible with any future version of the game at least until the final release.

There are a couple more critical things I want to add to the final version of the game, like save file encryption, which may compromise compatibility. The methods to add these features are already ready, but adding them to the game right now would make testing and debuging the game much harder, so I won’t try to implement it before the final release.

> MINOR FEATURES : Personality management, statuses and new dialog lines.

On top of the save system improvements, I modified the personality system to make it more customizable. There’s now an additionnal json file that handles personality definition, so you can add your own custom personalities if you want. I added some documentation in the gamedata folder.

Finally, I added a couple status to the game and some dialog lines to reflect that. Your character can now get drunk, stuffed or bloated, and the dialog lines will change according to her status. In the future, there will be more statuses as I add more features to the game, such as happiness-related statuses for example. I also added lines for drinking, as it felt a bit weird that the characters said how “stuffed” or “hungry” they were after drinking a cup of coffee… I also added a lot of lines to the “cheerful” personality to see how a more “complete” character would feel.

Tbh, I’m a terrible writer even when trying to come up with short sentences, so don’t expect too much from the new dialog lines. These are mostly tests and placeholders and I definitely abused copy/paste.

> WHAT’S NEXT

Next things I want to work on, in no particular order, are more interaction options, expending the character’s home, adding new interactable objects, adding a couple side-activities and working on the economy and general balance of the game. I’ll also probably keep adding to the existing dialogs little by little and work a bit on the graphics, and especially on those facial expressions. Once I have done all that, I will move on to cripsier subjects, like NPCs.

I also would like to improve the character creation by adding some more options like nekomimi, glasses, accessories, more haircuts and so on, but I think this will have to wait until I find someone to handle the graphics of the game, so… Yeah, it probably won’t happen before NPCs. Same goes with clothes, as I can’t really work on that until I have the definitive sprites. I can make some placeholder sprites like I did for the nude character, but it’s going to take me some time and I’d rather work on other features I am more comfortable with for now.

9 Likes

I tried playing the zipped version just now. It crashes at the end of character creation.

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object oMenu2:

ds_map_find_value argument 1 incorrect type (array) expecting a Number (YYGI32)
at gml_Script_MapFeedingLines
############################################################################################
gml_Script_MapFeedingLines (line -1)
gml_Script_MapReactionLines
gml_Script_ValidateCharacter
gml_Object_oMenu2_Step_0 (line -1)

Also, there’s a small bug in the personality settings in the character creations menus. The text displayed when hovering over an attribute is based on the leftmost setting, rather than the currently selected one.

Alright, sounds like it needs a quick fix. Do you remember what personality traits you tried to assign your character? I can’t seem to replicate this crash.

I got the same error. Happens with both versions. Seems to happen just with the default or with what I choose.

Also I’m using windows 10. With a GTX 1070,Intel(R) Core™ i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system.

Perfect, I’ll look into this asap. Thanks!

Edit : This is very weird, I absolutely cannot replicate it. If anyone is facing similar crashes, do let me know and please include as many details as possible.

I tried it several times with different traits, they all crashed. I made sure to try some characters that had nothing in common with each other.

1 Like

Alright, I think I found the fucker. I haven’t figured it out yet, but at least I managed to replicate the crash.

This little bug’s days are now numbered.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I also have gotten the crash, maybe can you explain the steps you took to not have the crash while you were attempting to recreate the crash?

That’s the confusing thing : I don’t think I did anything in particular.

But I think I figured it out : it comes from the userSettings file that saves all your settings. Specifically, it comes from one variable that saves the last date at which you launched the game, and was defaulted to an empty value. For some reason, it made the game do weird things… So if it’s your first time launching the game, it’s saving that hiccup.

I deactivated the save of that variable, I needed to move it from the userSettings to the characters’ file anyway. I’ll just make sure to default it to 0 when I reactivate it… The fix is up on itchio, can you guys please try again with the newer version?

1 Like

Works like a charm :slight_smile:

Great news!

Thanks you guys for helping me figure this one out. The fix also includes the description display bug Zinno found, and I also fixed another crash I found while bug hunting.

If anyone finds any more bugs, please let me know!

ERROR in
action number 1
of Mouse Event for Left Released
for object oConsumableParent:

Variable <unknown_object>.feedee(100202, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_oConsumableParent_Mouse_7
gml_Object_oConsumableParent_Mouse_7 (line -1)

Got a new crash when I give the apple to the girl in the tutorial.

Ah, yes, I tend to forget checking the tutorial… This one’s on me, I need to change the way I manage the whole tutorial sequence, it’s very janky.

At least it’s an easy fix this time. It’ll be up in 5 minutes.

Edit: fix is up on itchio!

1 Like

It’s working good now

nice work! Ive been watching for a while. Also when will the growling SE functional in the future?

I’m curious bout the amount of work on clothing and whether it’s really that necessary.