Development Updates

I’ll use this thread to just update with features or things I’ve added while making “Tower”.

Today I added
Timed Hits for both attack and defense, on certain skills
The idea here is to move power from the defense-flavored Fever Time and just make Fever Time an attack power boost, so now the player can survive for longer without relying on RNG, and boost their own power more consistently
I think I’ll make the timed defense hits only for boss battles and especially tough normal monster encounters - seeing the guard icon every enemy attack takes an extra few partial seconds that can eat up time, and could be annoying.

It got annoying lmao

Overworld movement for player is no longer locked to “grid” style movement
It’s a little buggy when moving around corners where you can’t pass through - the follower players phase right through the walls instead of walking with you directly. Looking to change this to be proper, but this works for now.
And my sprites aren’t animated, yet.

Make sure you’re scaling your maps to the size of the characters, or vice versa, at some point in the development process. Right now it’s obviously a bit too early to be calling it “absolutely necessary,” but if the size of your test area in the second gif is any indication, most of your current resources are roughly a quarter of your original stuff’s scale.

Using another project here as an example of hiding that, the Stuffing RPG is using player sprites of about twice the scale of the rest of the world, at the current iteration. It looks slightly awkward next to the older sprites, but all of the maps in the game have plenty of space for travel with appropriate bordering to fit the characters into the map space. Which brings me to how this is relevant: Keep the super tall sprites locked into a smaller area than the visible map borders so they don’t seem giant in comparison to the world, especially with your free movement system.

Honestly, I expect this post to become irrelevant as time goes on, since you’re already planning to do original spritework as far as I can gather from your initial post. This is just kind of a comment to say that overworld stuff needs to be taken into account, in addition to moving sprites that you’re definitely making on your own.

Truthfully, I took a break most of this week to re-think some things about the project, and try and make concept art while recovering from art blockings.

In the works are ‘rival’ characters - Sakura and Iris

And I’m considering reinstating the items into combat, it kind of doesn’t make sense to restrict the player from healing themselves. It’s a game about eating food, why stop the player from eating food whenever they want? “RPG that locks item use to the field” doesn’t sound appealing and interesting, either. I still want the player to be enticed to eat the enemies though. It’s a lot to munch on at the moment.

Hopefully this week I can get some animated sprites and a base level done at the very least. Sorry to be disappointing this update.

[quote=“Purrine, post:3, topic:1016”]Truthfully, I took a break most of this week to re-think some things about the project, and try and make concept art while recovering from art blockings.

And I’m considering reinstating the items into combat, it kind of doesn’t make sense to restrict the player from healing themselves. It’s a game about eating food, why stop the player from eating food whenever they want? “RPG that locks item use to the field” doesn’t sound appealing and interesting, either. I still want the player to be enticed to eat the enemies though. It’s a lot to munch on at the moment.

Hopefully this week I can get some animated sprites and a base level done at the very least. Sorry to be disappointing this update.[/quote]

what you could do is make healing items heal negligible amount of health, of it fills up a fullness meter faster than eating enemies

[quote=“avakann, post:4, topic:1016”][quote=“Purrine, post:3, topic:1016”]Truthfully, I took a break most of this week to re-think some things about the project, and try and make concept art while recovering from art blockings.

Hopefully this week I can get some animated sprites and a base level done at the very least. Sorry to be disappointing this update.[/quote]

what you could do is make healing items heal negligible amount of health, of it fills up a fullness meter faster than eating enemies[/quote]
Actually this functionality of adding fullness is already in place (just not inside battles yet), and makes sense. This will probably be the implementation until tested further. Thank you for your suggestion! ^^

Because it’s hard to have a nice meal while someone is waving an ax in your face. Or even walk. If you don’t believe me, ask a trusted friend to have a Nerf swordfight with you while you try to eat a sub sandwich.

You could have like a ‘Battle trail mix’ appropriately balanced for in battle healing. Or perhaps eating food it battle takes multiple turns? (see D&D’s rounds vs minutes)

[url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16135215/Tower%20of%20Treats.zip]I will be indisposed for a while so have this development room build thing. Items and how they gain your weight are still a little buggy but will try to fix soon.
You will need RPG Maker VX Ace RTP to play it.

The most complete thing is the boss fight, I hope you try it. Maybe. Be sure to equip A/C Bracelets.
Fairy by the save crystal is the shop.

Most of the art assets are placeholder or incomplete.

Max weight for the portrait to change is 350 LB.

Please tell me if something looks weird, namely text in the UI.[/url]

[quote=“Purrine, post:7, topic:1016”][url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16135215/Tower%20of%20Treats.zip]I will be indisposed for a while so have this development room build thing. Items and how they gain your weight are still a little buggy but will try to fix soon.

The most complete thing is the boss fight, I hope you try it. Maybe. Be sure to equip A/C Bracelets.

Please tell me if something looks weird, namely text in the UI.[/url][/quote]

I can see this really being awesome once you get some more finalized art into it! The systems are definitely unique, and it seems like you’re making good progress! I’m excited to see how it evolves.

I only have one question: What button is “Sf”?

Aside from that, the battle system is pretty solid! I don’t fully agree with the keys chosen to do non-spell actions, completely, but it might be something I can get used to.

[quote=“chillmistressfreia, post:9, topic:1016”]I only have one question: What button is “Sf”?

Aside from that, the battle system is pretty solid! I don’t fully agree with the keys chosen to do non-spell actions, completely, but it might be something I can get used to.[/quote]
Left shift. Sorry :frowning:

Added “scanning” functionality - pressing shift when selecting an enemy will show you what you know about the enemy, and you can learn a skill to completely fill it out.

Also did some work on battle UI to be a tad more interesting, numbers will now bounce around out of the damaged target, though it’s not polished yet
It will also tell you if you hit a weakpoint or a strongpoint, instead of being ambiguous

I know this stuff is really simple but it’s the little things…

Probably the last I’ll be able to do for a while, we’ll see.

[quote=“Purrine, post:7, topic:1016”][url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16135215/Tower%20of%20Treats.zip]I will be indisposed for a while so have this development room build thing. Items and how they gain your weight are still a little buggy but will try to fix soon.

Apparently set up requires a CD to complete it. How am I supposed to try out Tower?

EDIT: Greeeaat job RPG maker, I wanted to get the trial I WANTED IT, but you say i am already subscribed, DaMN IT

[quote=“NoNoYes, post:11, topic:1016”][quote=“Purrine, post:7, topic:1016”][url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16135215/Tower%20of%20Treats.zip]I will be indisposed for a while so have this development room build thing. Items and how they gain your weight are still a little buggy but will try to fix soon.

Apparently set up requires a CD to complete it. How am I supposed to try out Tower?

EDIT: Greeeaat job RPG maker, I wanted to get the trial I WANTED IT, but you say i am already subscribed, DaMN IT[/quote]

Googling “RPG Maker VX Ace RTP” produces this as the first result

It’s about a 200MB download but it lets you play games made with VX Ace, which I assume is most on this board? So it would be helpful to have this regardless.

Sorry for the trouble, I just didn’t want to upload a ~240MB not-even-a-demo game…

I had a quick play and it’s certainly looks like it’s going to be fun.

I’ve never played any game with a battle system quite like this though. I had no clue about the key presses. I suppose it didn’t help that most of the initial ones were “down” and I though it was just an illustration of the enemy HP change! Is it possible to have an easy mode for those of us of advancing years? The multi-key sequences were just impossible for me.

[quote=“dingotush, post:13, topic:1016”]I had a quick play and it’s certainly looks like it’s going to be fun.

I’ve never played any game with a battle system quite like this though. I had no clue about the key presses. I suppose it didn’t help that most of the initial ones were “down” and I though it was just an illustration of the enemy HP change! Is it possible to have an easy mode for those of us of advancing years? The multi-key sequences were just impossible for me.[/quote]
I like this idea a lot actually, I’ll see what I can do.

EDIT: Implemented.

Easy Mode is now an option, which will automatically give you success with all combo abilities and spell commands, and combo-spells.

Hope this will help in the future, thank you very much!

Hey Purrine, even though the portraits change, the weight gain events should been more developed, I mean like they are easier to develop.

What do you mean by this?
The intent was just to have it work and in place for now.

The intent was just to have it work and in place for now.[/quote]
I mean for now input more text into the game?

The intent was just to have it work and in place for now.[/quote]
I mean for now input more text into the game?[/quote]
I’m getting the harder parts done first so I don’t need to do backwards compatibility with the dialog and eventing.
For instance, adding the scan, bestiary, and easy mode completely broke the boss fight, and it had to be redone. If the systems are in place first, then I can make the battles and over world events work properly the first time around with confidence. Since adding more weight variables, stages, text and dialog is relatively easy, I would rather get the ‘meat’ of the game stable before working on that.
I know it’s a stupid kink game, but I want to make something good.

I understand. I can wait.

[quote=“Purrine, post:14, topic:1016”][quote=“dingotush, post:13, topic:1016”]I had a quick play and it’s certainly looks like it’s going to be fun.

I’ve never played any game with a battle system quite like this though. I had no clue about the key presses. I suppose it didn’t help that most of the initial ones were “down” and I though it was just an illustration of the enemy HP change! Is it possible to have an easy mode for those of us of advancing years? The multi-key sequences were just impossible for me.[/quote]
I like this idea a lot actually, I’ll see what I can do.

EDIT: Implemented.

Easy Mode is now an option, which will automatically give you success with all combo abilities and spell commands, and combo-spells.

Hope this will help in the future, thank you very much![/quote]

Thank you too!

PS. Is it supposed to be “Flashbub” or “Flashbulb”?