Development Updates

Wowzer! This is fantastic!

Can’t wait to see what it’ll look like without the placeholder sprites :stuck_out_tongue: Take as much time as you need.

I’m probably switching to game maker soon, so here’s the progress I made before school took over my life.

shrug…

I will go hard on this project after this semester is over. Sorry for the wait.

This project is still being worked on, right? Sorry if I’m being annoying, but the lack of posting is making me worry a bit. You’re probably busy and all but, I love what it is as of right now and can’t wait to see more!

I can assure you that it is still alive, but remember that it isn’t always guaranteed to continue working on this. Stuff gets in their way, but sooner or later, Purr’s semester will be over.

If you look at purrine’s DA he showed that the game is being worked on

I am still working on it.

I took about a month off of it for holiday, and school is back in session for me, but I do want to complete this.
Hadn’t had a lot of substantial progress lately, that’s why I haven’t been posting. Didn’t want to spam with nothing…

Been changing a lot of things around.

trying to get better chibi portraits done

Sprites be lookin’ good! And, the inclusion of the new Plainswoof will make these battle quite interesting!
Now, one more thing I gotta report, though it might have been caught already: When your character is too stuffed to eat anything else, they can still eat and gain the weight from the “Donut, Whole” item, and it won’t be lost from your inventory. Hope this little bug catching helps the game out!

Looks like a good expansion on the core gameplay to me! (Or at least a nice, clear, concise outline of it.)

I have one suggestion, and this may or may not be the proper thread, but perhaps adding a third physical attack type in Piercing? It’s part of what I’ve come to consider one of the core physical types, and Kikyou could have some access to it with a thrust attack. Food for thought, I guess.

Happy to see progress moving along, and I’ll definitely keep watching the project with interest! ;D

[quote=“firesoul10, post:49, topic:1016”]Looks like a good expansion on the core gameplay to me! (Or at least a nice, clear, concise outline of it.)

I have one suggestion, and this may or may not be the proper thread, but perhaps adding a third physical attack type in Piercing? It’s part of what I’ve come to consider one of the core physical types, and Kikyou could have some access to it with a thrust attack. Food for thought, I guess.

Happy to see progress moving along, and I’ll definitely keep watching the project with interest! ;D[/quote]

I’ve been simplifying things for the sake of keeping things more concise and straight-forward; before I had around 10 elements, and now there’s 7 including the “Untyped” kind. I’m trying to keep in mind that this is meant to be a silly game about eating monsters and getting fatter, and while gameplay is important, too many things can bog down both development time and overwhelm the player.

This is the reasoning behind going to a more ‘active’ low-number-MP system as well, with the PP restoring itself by 1 each turn instead of having a limited resource, this hopefully makes for easier decisions on what move to use, and easier to balance them as well.
Same thing from going from 5 equipment slots to 4, unlimited skills to only 8 in the character’s specialty, etc.
While it would be nice to round out and have more elements, I’m preferring to keep things small in scope for now.

Also worked on the status screen today. Still looks a little cluttered.

Today I finally got to implement the skill system properly.

I’m really glad to see you streamlining the mechanics a bit, not only will that make them easier to develop and test, but I’m pretty sure the game will feel better from a player perspective as well. The new sprites look great, I love how you can kind of tell the personality differences just from how they’re drawn.

[quote=“Purrine, post:47, topic:1016”]

trying to get better chibi portraits done[/quote]

Is it just me or does it seem kikyou have a bigger belly in the new chibi form

cheat codez

armor changing appearance

This would probably be more impressive if I wasn’t relying on stand-in art for now :sweat:

You made the text bigger! Or less cluttered. Or something. Whatever the case, my blind self thanks you.

I’m glad to see you didn’t switch to GameMaker after all, starting over is never good for a project.

Your talent for finding relevant stand-in art is impressive and will sadly go unnoticed in the final game. Until then, this game also serves as an museum of good WG art. Keep up the good work!

There’s also an option to double the screen size by default so there isn’t a need to use outside programs like Sizer to play in 2x mode. Hopefully that helps with vision-stuff too.

J̪͍̠̼̹͛̎ͫ̚̚u̲̝ͨ̈́̉̉̉s̴͓͚͙̳̩ͩ̾͗ͅt̷ͥ ͈̣̪̲̦̗ẅ̷̩̖o͊͏̘̣͖̪͖ṟ͓͚̰ͥk̯̰̘͙̫̘̍ͥ͐i͇̞͍̎ͣͅńg̼̯̐̽͗ͯͦ́͝ ͇̙͍̏̋̽̓ͤ̀̚ö̜͎̭̩̰͔́ͣ̂ñͧ͌̎͊͏͎ ͕̖͉̩̳̘͑̅͒̌͆d͓̘ͦ̉̓͊̓a͈͚̱͔͖̠̳̎t̠͖̎̊͗̓ͅá̮͚̂̒̉͌͆̐͠b̢̬̳̭̏̿a̶ͧ̌̌̃ͅs͍̯̻ë͇̬̖̙ͦ̚͞ ̰̭̘̣͇̬̋͘ͅs̰͚͖̠̘͎͍ͣ̇ͨ̃̐͢t̿̎͋̎ͭ̍uͯ̈ͩ̍̽ͤ҉͖̩f͍̫̩ͩ͋f̩̳̟̄̉͂̑̚̚ ̧͔̱̬̼̮l̙̥̳͐͗̊̉ͨa̵̤͙̭͇̦ͤ͌t͚ͩ̀͘e̲̖̫͇̤̯̪l̙̭ͨͮ͗͂̽̒ͫy̽̈̐́ͧ͒.͚͓̣͖͐ͩ̅̈̇̾͘ ̺̪̞͇̖͉̯̏̊͑S̭̮̹̱̝̗̜̽͘o̥̮̦̞͉̓̅͗ͅȑ̴͋͑̃r̢̓ͧ̌̊̈́̔̊y̢̙͉̺̠̠̏ ̿͗̔͌̔ͧi̸̓̈́͐ͨͮẗ̡̺ͩͧ̒ͥͮͧs̸͎̳̱̎ ̟ͥ̓ͤ̈ͬb̲̮͖̬̼̦̙̌͂̓̔͗̃ȯ̷͕͈͎̐ͩ̀ͬ͗r̖̲̋ͩͪ͌͂ͦ̍͝į̹̘ͥ̃n͐ͣͧ͡g͈̠̹͓̦ͩͧͣ!͙̙͔

What kind of Youmu picture is that??? It is funny that the stand-in image is a half-phantom with a somewhat obvious ghost thingy.