Dojo Crawler

She’s specifically based on these little short-eared weirdos :slight_smile: image

1 Like

Oh cute? Yeah, nevermind, she’s perfect then. Thanks for showing me! (Ishi’s still the cutest girl tho)

1 Like

Fascinating. So it turns out it was we who were the uncultured swine all along, haha.

When I bat an eye to that drawing I just think she’s pissing out of her finger.
Turtle girl is cute tho.

1 Like

Question about the game going forward- In the future, will we be able to see the cast at sizes even bigger than the “fattest” we see in this version of the game? Cause that would be pretty great~ I’d love to see these five get REALLY fat <3

1 Like

Yeah, bring on the Yamamoto-esque man-mountains! I mean they’re in a facility churning out seemingly endless amounts of food. The sky’s the limit in terms of weight cap.

A way to spice up the combat being just an exercise of pressing attacks and skills, an important tactical consideration with sumo wrestling is balance. Flooring your opponent, toppling them through overreach and off-balancing them.

Attacks or skills that played into attacking a “balance” gauge could be another avenue of attack and a factor to play and experiment with in the combat. Ishi for example could be exceptionally resistant to being pushed out the ring but her moves expose a balance vulnerability that the player could exploit.

Just a thought!

3 Likes

I think this is a super neat idea and I’m thinking that there could possibly be skills you unlock as you get really huge that can mess with balance and compensate for range- Bumping your opponent with you huge belly to ignore a range deficiency, or a quake-causing sumo stomp to throw enemies off balance. I feel like Ishi’s the perfect testing ground for this talk about massive sizes because she’s the most gung-ho besides Yakui about getting huge as heck and because of her natural stockiness as a turtle. (Also I wanna see my girl get massively blubbery, sue me)

2 Likes

I’m loving the enthusiasm of these suggestions for XXL sizes (though my drawing hand is sweating at the palm at the extra work).
I was certainly going to do a ‘chubby’ visual stage jut to sate my own preference for gradual gaining but now I know there’s a demand (and some solid justification) I’ll see about expanding that job to also include some special art for Weight Class 8.

I like this idea a lot! Pushing down a bar that makes you prone if it runs out could definitely help with the annoyance of pushing someone for 0 feet while they’re grounded.

Both cool suggestions!

That’s all I really want to hear when I make an OC :'v

4 Likes

Imagine me, assuming I was booting up a standard RPG Maker game… HOLY MOLY! I was so impressed with the quality of the intro art and then the character animations throughout the game! I mean this REALLY pushes the boundaries of what I thought was even remotely possible in RPG Maker.

Also sumo wrestling as a turn-based combat mechanic where your distance from the edge acts like your health? Such a cool idea! Great job!

2 Likes

So, I just finished my playthrough of the game (as Ishi), and I really loved what I saw here. Besides a few bugs, typos, and a missing image (which was easily copypasta’d), this game jam entry has so much potential to build on!

I like the dungeon crawling, I like the sumo combat, but yeah, both aspects have a great foundation for adding more to them and fleshing them out. And of course, I would sincerely hope for a lot more weight classes in the future! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m glad you think so! ^^

I was bored at work so I wrote out some thoughts about how Balance and Grappling could work:

GENERAL

• Balance is a stat that gauges how steady a wrestler is on their feet. It’s usage is as resource to be spent on certain Skills, and as a modifier in a Grapple attack.

• Using skills and attacking will expend balance. Guarding will restore it slightly.

• Wrestlers may start with innate bonuses or penalties to Balance.

• Heavier wrestlers expend less Balance when using Attack and Mobility skills (more sturdy) however the downside of a heavy weight is that it’s harder to restore balance (higher inertia, timberrr!).

SKILLS

• Offensive Skills can launch powerful attacks with a high Balance cost (heavy strikes, charging etc), or can target an opponent’s Balance directly (feinting, seismic stomp).

• Defensive Skills can greatly restore Balance (focusing) or boost it to exceed the cap (situational awareness, reading your opponent etc).

GRAPPLING

• A Grapple is a an added action that can be selected (does not expend Balance to do so).

• Initiating a Grapple forces a contested check between wrestlers, with a bonus modifier given to the wrestler with the higher relative Balance. The modifier scales with increasing difference in Balance between the wrestlers. Depending on how much winning check exceeds the other, the losing Wrestler can be pushed back, stumble (further reducing Balance), switch position, or even floored - resulting in a defeat.

• A wrestler’s weight (dis)advantage modifies the Grapple resolution, just like with attacks.

Grappling is an effective way to combat an opponent with a high defence or a weight advantage by targeting their Balance. Topple 'em to the floor!

1 Like

Oh man, thinking about it, you know what I’d love to see in the future? Convos between the characters that advance as you become better friends with them, like how you mentioned Fire Emblem, and convos for when you talk to a character you’re currently paired up with. Especially with the good ending reinforcing what a team they are, I’d love the chance to watch them get closer. (Insert joking requests for S-Rank convos :P)

1 Like

Indeed! I was pretty curious about the effects of teaming up and what this could unlock for the player.

1 Like

I’ve been finding this game pretty interesting, and enjoying the core loop! There is one thing bugging me inspiring to make a post though, because I’m otherwise having so much fun with it. Fighting Ishi is…reeaaallly time consuming / dull when she seems to be perma-grounded, almost never leaving that state long enough to be pushed back a tiny amount before starting again. I think not allowing that skills duration to be reset (does it have a fixed duration? I’m not totally sure what ends it). At times they’ve stayed grounded for 10+ rounds, which feels like a bit much. Maybe with more higher weight skills it gets easier, but at lower levels it’s a chore.

1 Like

Just throw some scalding hot tea in her face and you’ll be fine :+1:

1 Like

what USE CONSUMABLES no I must hoard them like a dragon, it is the way.

1 Like

That was my exact plan! S-Rank and all!

You know what…
I get it :frowning:

i love the concept of this game. i’m really hoping it goes further than the gain jam version!
great work guys!

1 Like

Yeah, for real, please tell me the game is eventually going to receive the full version it richly deserves. I kind of really need more of these blubbery nerds getting even more blubbery.

2 Likes

Hey Hey! I have wonderful time with your lovely game, bit run to a error in the final level or so was digging around looking for this ping but don’t see it and get this error every time say ’ I refuse’ Annotation 2020-06-10 023007 don’t know people run into this error or not but still a good game little buggy but still good!