Don't Starve Weight Gain Character Mod

how would you explain the rabid gain and loss of the weight? just magic of the land?

The ham bat’s already a thing

Well, honestly the game’s filled with ancient and unknow magic that causes a shitload of whack stuff so I believe that would already be a decent reason behind the weight change. I mean, after all all the characters that end up in the constant had wished for something to happen, and then Maxwell granted their wishes with a big side effect. Being having to survive in that hellhole of a place.

Well look at that, you already know how to imitate a drawing style. That is definitely putting you one step closer and above some of the mods that already exist in the game. It will definitely take a lot of your time, but considering you already have the drawing skills you might already be at 1/3 of the whole project.
I guess you could try to ask to someone to help you with the lines, considering how much stuff there’s in that bloody game, but i think it may become too confusional if you have to look at each and every line someone else writes just to see if it checks in with what you had in mind for the character.

2 Likes

hmm maybe the character couldn’t decided if they wanted to lose their weight and get back in to be athletics or just be able the deal with the side affects of the weight so they progress between the sizes

Take a look at this thread here from a few months ago. Despite the title, they actually got talking about Don’t Starve and the couple of WG mods for it (some of which may still be available). So it certainly can be done.

the mod is for Don’t Starve Together not Don’t Starve and sadly the mods don’t work for both versions

And whats the difference between modding for dont starve and DST?

Well, i never modded anything beside some words, but i believe you also have to put in the interactions with other players and some more more files? Also DS has less stuff than DST, wich means that you need to add more stuff to your character (for example, lines).

I see, also watched a bit how the whole modding and animation works

Animation
Interesting doable and fun
Modding
…no idea

Honestly am kinda dumb so i got none of that but animating looks like a nice oportunity to test so i may do smt out, no promises tgo am alredy cramped with shit to doXD

the 2 games seem to handle some key things differently and DST need stuff for multiplayer that DS doesn’t have, I have looked into modding but haven’t made my own.

I have no mod experience with either game (I didn’t realize it was so easy to mod TBH), but I figured it might give you some ideas.

I checked out Wakano and it looks like it’s fairly straight forward - the fuller her stomach gets. Visually she doesn’t get too big - her shirt gapes open a little around the belly and face gets a little rounter, but that’s about it.

Mechanics are pretty simple too. She’s a compulsive eater, and will eat food in her inventory automatically even at high sanity levels, and as she gets fatter, she’ll get tired out if she runs too long and has to stop and rest for a few seconds. In a simple test world, I was able to get her up to maximum fatness with roughly a full stack (40) berries.

1 Like

I’m not following, who is Wakano? Is a modded character, if so, can you send me a link to her?

EDIT: NVM found her, here’s the link for those interested: Steam Workshop::Wakako

3 Likes

Hey i like her, if making mods is doable and somebody else is ok with doin a mod i could give a shot at designing the animations

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed Wakako a lot so id always like to see a new WG character mod

3 Likes

I played around with Wakako for a bit last night and had a good time with the character, but it does have some things I think could be learned from/criticized/taken note of from the perspective of making a weight gain mod.

First and foremost, weight gain is an almost inherit negative thing in the mod, and while this is mostly true to life (well, for most people anyway). The only benefit it gives for the character is that they can hold onto 450 stomach/food value at any given time, but due to how the stamina mechanic (which I do like overall) works, those points probably won’t go as far as they should. So the only way to really get the most out of your food is to sit around camp and barely move for long periods of time. While this is the more realistic approach, it’s not the most practical or fun play style unless you are in a group of 3+ people.

The drawbacks to weight gain are:
lose 25 max HP every weight tier
move slower every weight tier
do less damage every weight tier
lose the ability to use armor at the highest rank (with nothing to compensate for the loss)
lose the stamina meter’s multiplier after the second weight tier

Weight gain in the mod seems to be more of a punishment for taking advantage of how over eating basically removes sanity as a mechanic. While this is setup makes for a fun character, if you are looking for weight gain content, it only will serve to make the game more difficult. This is further compounded by the fact that her lv.1 weight tier is borderline OP in combat due to her speed and attack damage.

I highly recommend turning on the optional setting that makes dieting cause sanity loss, this makes the character harder, yes, but it does at least offer another reason to gain weight other than just for healing purposes (short term sanity management). Now that I think about it though, because of how weight gain lowers max HP by a percentage, but the healing values of food are based on a hard numerical value, it would take less healing items to actually heal her, so long as the weight is lost before the character gets into a fight again.

It might sound like I dislike the mod, but that couldn’t be further from the truth, I loved it. I hope the mod author continues to work on it, since I see a lot of potential with it.

For those that are playing alone, and want to make the weight gain have a more functional role in the game, you can edit a file in mod’s folder with notepad++ and change a few of the values around to your liking (I’d recommend making higher weights give more HP than lower ones and removing the attack damage debuffs).

The file is “Wako.lua” in the mod’s “scripts\prefabs” directory. Edit it in Notepad++ and look for this (I put my recommended settings in the brackets):
TUNING.WAKO_HEALTH_FIT = 175 {100}
TUNING.WAKO_HEALTH_NORMAL = 150 {125}
TUNING.WAKO_HEALTH_FAT = 125 {150}
TUNING.WAKO_HEALTH_OBESE = 100 {200}

TUNING.WAKO_ATTACKMULT_FIT = 1.5 {1.5}
TUNING.WAKO_ATTACKMULT_NORMAL = 1 {1.0}
TUNING.WAKO_ATTACKMULT_FAT = 0.75 {1.0}
TUNING.WAKO_ATTACKMULT_OBESE = 0.5 {1.0}

Change the values as you see fit.

1 Like

Anyone share this link?

Scroll up a bit, or take a look at the bottom of my first post.

ı see but ı cant download

You need to logged into steam to download it, press the green “subscribe” button.

1 Like