Don't Starve Weight Gain Character Mod

I mean, Willow and Wendy have pretty huge eyes lmao

4 Likes

That looks great!, good job!, yo7 think you can handle it or need any help?

1 Like

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

I think I’ve got it but if I need any help, I’ll ask you.

I wanted to get a bit of practice with coding for DST since I’ll likely be a making a full project out of this eventually, so I decided to mess around with the code for Wakako. I only learned how to make if/then commands, how to make an option for the mod you can toggle on/off before launching a server, and how to change some of the variables.

I made a few personal changes to how Wakako can work. These changes were all toggleable, so the mod could still be played as originally intended. So far I made individual options for:

• Maximum health will increase instead of decrease every time the weight level goes up. So now the thin version has the least health, but obese now has the highest. This option gives a higher max hp overall, but since that is now for the high weights, which still has the stamina mechanic, slower movement speed, inability to use torso armor at max weight and the attack damage debuffs, it balances out the other penalties. Thin now gets 125 health, normal still has 150, fat has 175, and obese is 250.

• The attack damage buffs and debuffs for the different weights are less extreme. Thin doesn’t get as high of a bonus and fat/obese aren’t penalized as severely. Thin now does +25% extra damage, normal still does x1 damage, fat does 90% damage, and obese does 80% damage (which is 5% higher than Wendy’s to put it into perspective).

• An option to make the weight levels have different insulation levels. Thin will have an easier time staying cool in summer but will get cold quickly in winter (about fifteen seconds more/less). Normal is left unchanged. Fat is the inverse of thin, stays warmer in winter, but will get hot quickly in summer (in the same amount of time). Obese does the same as fat, but will get twice the insulation effect.

I’m tempted to offer my edited files to the original mod author so it can be added to the mod, but I’m not sure if that would be considered rude or not. They are all options that can be turned on or off, so it’s not like I made and considered my changes to be a straight “improvement” over his original mod, but I don’t know the etiquette for this kind of thing.

2 Likes

Looks cute, so far! I’m looking forward to this!

1 Like

The etiquette for this would be to ask them. You never know how somebody will react to that sort of thing. They might get all possessive and say, “MY MOD!” and tell you to shove off, or they might be thrilled that somebody actually found it interesting enough to tinker with.

From my experience, most mod authors don’t mind people tinkering with their mods if A) That person asks first before posting any modifications, and B) Everybody gets credited properly and nobody tries to claim other people’s work as their own.

3 Likes

I love just browsing the ideas of creators and find people putting effort into such a small idea.

2 Likes

Someone made a Wakako rework doing a lot of the things I suggested, here’s the link Steam Community :: Error

12 Likes

cant acces to the link smh:(

Seems that link is down? IDK if it’s not on steam anymore, I have the mod currently

huh, weird, well if you can share it

I’m interested in the rework too, if you can share it (and help with installing mods for this game manually, only ever used the Workshop), as it does seem like the rework is no longer on the Workshop. Would love to see it, or another like it, made for regular Don’t Starve instead of DST, though, because I don’t play multi much and apparently DST scales mob health for multiple people even in Alone mode (and doesn’t allow pause, but apparently there’s a mod for that).

Yeah DST has a few differences though I personally prefer it. I’m not sure how exactly to share a mod from the workshop though, especially since it’s not up any more. I can try to see if there’s like files for it in the folders for the game.

Update: The steam mod files for this game are a mess. Every folder is just named workshop (series of numbers), I can’t tell which mod is which because people don’t name their files anything distinct half the time, and worst of all things seem to be in the same folder for some reason. “Wako fat” and “TF2sounds” and “Demoman” are all in the same folder for some reason.

That’s how the Steam workshop works. The file name is the SteamID number as it shows up on Steam Workshop. You can figure this number out by looking at any web address that links to the Steam page.

In the case of this mod, going by the above link, the ID should be 2399557524.

What I mean though is that in one mod folder, strangely assets from multiple mods are together

Re: that, maybe the modder just reused some sounds from another game (which could also be why it got taken down, because that counts as redistribution of copyrighted files), because that’s not a thing (multiple Workshop mods for different games being in the same folder, or even multiple Workshop mods for the same game).

Perhaps, I’ll try to look into the files again later and see if I can make sense of it

This might offend some fans of the mod, but I think it would be a partially good idea to add gassy sounds when the player is full, with the sounds depending on the player’s weight…

Steam would nuke it out of the workshop, as it would then come out as fetish content.
(I think.)