Eat The Dungeon General Discussion

This is the third time you’ve asked me this question?

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Sorry… :frowning:
I forget things easy. And why not ask many questions or send ideas …

2 Likes

Will you add more character to the sprite fats?

:yum:

2 Likes

Do not hassle the developers.

3 Likes

okay man!
I will respect.

2 Likes

So does speed decrease the amount of time required for each separate attack? It might just be me, but it seems like it doesn’t really appear to be having an effect.
Also, might I suggest making it more turn based oriented instead of just spamming attacks. That way more strategy can be involved when it comes to making moves. I know as I’m playing now I’m just looking at the damage from each character towards the monsters and quickly trying to figure out what numbers are bigger where.

2 Likes

Speed doesn’t decrease the cooldown timer, exactly. What it does is that it reduces the timer penalty from fat by the percent that’s displayed over the clock on the upgrade screen. It means the character can get fatter while sacrificing less in the way of attack speed penalties.

It won’t ever get them below their base value, though.

2 Likes

I understand what its like to be forgetful, maybe next time you wish to ask a question you can check the thread to see if has already been answered.

I’m considering it :thinking: lol

firesoul10 is correct. Clarifying what the stats do on the level up screen is something that’s on my radar, but I don’t have a timeline for it yet.

Honestly I feel like turn based rpgs are already pretty well represented in weight-gaming space. ETD is more of a fast-paced puzzle game that a true RPG, imho.

5 Likes

I’m finding it unreasonably difficult to complete levels quickly enough to earn the rewards. Just how fast does my mouse hand have to be? Were the time requirements chosen with touch screens in mind? As far as I can tell, the only way to complete these levels fast enough is to memorize the exact enemies that appear in each level and follow a specific pattern of moves to beat the level as efficiently as possible. It’s either that, or grinding XP until my party one-shots every enemy.

2 Likes

Honestly I haven’t tested with touch screens in a while, I’m going to have to do that soon. For the curious, I got the A rank scores by setting every character’s stats to 5 and running the level when everybody was at 0 weight.

1 Like

You tested the levels at zero weight? I’ll bet that’s the problem right there. Playing the game normally, it’s difficult if not impossible to replicate that scenario. The entire party is constantly gaining weight throughout every level, but only one of them is allowed to lose that weight at the end of each level.

That said, I’m still not convinced that raw physical speed isn’t a major factor. Do you play real-time strategy games or MOBAs on a regular basis? If so, then your ability to make quick, precise movements with a mouse cursor probably far outclasses people who don’t play those sorts of games.

1 Like

If you want to reach Zero weight, spam the Bonus Level. Wait for all of the creatures in that level flee, (Or combat them with those who you have not extracted from yet).
Do that four times, extract each, and they’ll all be at zero.

As one who does not play MOBA’s or real-time strat games, using this strategy, and a lot of patience, I did achieve S on all levels.

1 Like

I think the level score/ratings make the game a lot more interesting.

Given that @Spec was able to S rank I wouldn’t change the difficulty to get ranks, but it might be better to have Items unlock on lower ranks.

All of this kinda falls into balance discussion which is more important after all the characters are implemented.

@bewildered_angel may add a new character in update 0.3 that completely destroys the difficulty to get rank and items. That makes balance changes risky to do now.

1 Like

This is certainly true. As much as I totally agree that the difficulty to get higher ranks is way too high here, you can’t really do any major balancing until the game’s in alpha (feature complete).

I think the best way to patch fix it atm is to get and idea of what the average time on each level is currently and just adjust rank-times to fit that average. It’ll make people testing the game less annoyed.

This is, of course, only because the game is being developed publicly. It’s best to make sure that the players playing your in-development game are having fun with the builds. At least, as much as you can with in reason. Dev builds are still dev builds.

2 Likes

It’s true that this is the optimal way to go for high scores, and its something I want to fix in the future. The solution I’m considering is a costly or limited-use extract-all function. Though I think this will be less of an issue once there are more adventurers in the game.

This is the first time anybody’s accused me of being good at video games, lol. I’m probably just very well practiced since I have to test the game so much.

I just might do this.

I want to try and make the public build the best build I can make it. There’s always going to be people playing ETD for the first time all through development and I’d like everybody’s first impression to be positive.

2 Likes

Its the big poll for the fifth adventurer on my patreon today!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/fifth-adventurer-26482790

6 Likes

Today’s poll: the final Bard design for Eat the Dungeon!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/26683357

3 Likes

Hmmm not exactly to be crude buuuuuttt… for a weight gain game none of those designs really… show enough skin? I think I’d go with the lady, because she looks like she’ll be the cutest one fat.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t think how much skin shown at the base level matters much, as much as how much can be shown as things progress, like with the Warrior and Thief.

2 Likes

I’m not a Patron, so my vote doesn’t matter. A shame, but hey. If I wanted to get a vote, I should have paid, and it’s not like the game’s behind a paywall. Not that it matters, since I seem to like the least popular one (Harpist) anyway. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I’ll echo some other statements made while I’m here. Item unlocks seem very challenging in the current build.

Also, I feel like the Witch has suffered a bit of a fall from grace with the HP refactoring. It just seems like she’s only really capable of knocking herself out to no actual effect and getting really fat off of it. Which is fine, but I feel like having one or two enemies actually still being vulnerable to magic would help her viability. Especially given how slow she swings now, and how hilariously easy it is for her to KO herself into outer space.

Warrior feels really good now, though, and Priestess isn’t just a healbot anymore, so it’s not like this update was a step in the wrong direction. I just think the nerfs to Witch were a tad heavy-handed. Even though yeah- she was kinda a monster in earlier builds. =P

Looking forward to seeing what the Bard can do, and looking forward to future updates. Keep up the good work, and sorry for the wall of text.

1 Like