Eat The Dungeon General Discussion

Yea that’s true, but I mean if angel said the next adventurer had a crop top or something, i sure as hell wouldn’t say no you know what I mean? Also the first two bard designs look too similar to the witch imo, dunno if we need another character with a dress

1 Like

Do we need another character with thigh-highs? We already have Thief and Priestess. =P

The intent of that statement is just to show a different, similar argument for the one you like- it’s a joke, and not to be taken seriously.

I like 'em all. I don’t think another dress right now would be the end of the world, especially if we get more variety down the road.

1 Like

I love the Lady one!!

1 Like

The Lady is ok, but I do more prefer the other two designs. It’s probably just me, but the Harpist is adorable.

1 Like

Traveller looks really nice, I like her hat.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to get to levels 6-10? I don’t know how to get to them. Or did I read the patchnotes wrong?

1 Like

Yeah the bard will definitely be more progress-based. There will between 8 and 16 characters to choose from by the time ETD is done, so there’s still lots of opportunities for very saucy outfits.

While I want item unlocks to be challenging, I also want them to be possible, so I’ll be thinking about this some more.

The Witch’s capacity is supposed to be her weak point, but I might have to lessen how dramatic this is.

Every dress is a crop top if you’re fat enough lol.

I think there are some Barbarian and Illusionist designs you’ll be very interested in!

30g52d

6 is the bonus level, 7 and beyond will be part of the upcoming update.

6 Likes

Any chance we could know a bit about how the bard will work?

I also wanted to suggest allowing healing to take weight again since the time-restraint has been added, but also perhaps make it have a chance to backfire if the healer’s weight is equal or higher?
(Like by sending/distributing instead of taking weight, or knocking the healer out?)

2 Likes

The bard will be healing and buffing. Buffing will temporarily increase the strength of ally abilities. She will have no damage-dealing abilities.

I’m still worried that taking weight is too easily exploited, I don’t think we’re going to see it again for a while.

1 Like

well to be honest, all i really see taking weight is just shuffling it so that you keep that weight in the party, but move it from a more important character to a lesser one, so you can keep combat capable units more capable of combat, without sacrificing loot. if you DO need to balance it, have it so that the target unit loses a chunk of weight, but the receiving unit doesn’t gain as much, because then you’d be sacrificing potential post dungeon upgrades to keep combat going. basically consider the tradeoff of low weightXhigh rank, vs high weightXlow rank

additionally, you guys complaining about the bard’s outfits, not realizing the potential of her bursting out of it

3 Likes

IMO, item unlocks are very doable once you get a some decent upgrades, so long as you formulate a decent gameplan. But given the fast-paced nature of the game and how little effect that have versus actions spent on them, they are mostly useless (chocolate sauce excepted). I propose that items (chocolate sauce again excepted) “lock on”, repeatedly casting on their previous target until they can’t anymore. This at least works for the sword and wand, but it encourages a “fire and forget” approach to the healing potion. A couple potential workarounds to this:

• Just make the potion more powerful with a longer cooldown
  • Add some other stop condition – after it activates a set number of times, after the target attacks or uses a buff, after the target no longer needs healing

Another thing: in a such a fast-paced game, the UI needs to be more legible at a glance. Player attacks, enemy defenses, and enemy attacks could be in boxes (probably semitransparent, to avoid obscuring the art too much), with bigger numbers, with more obvious visible cues that something is happening (eg the boxes turn red when someone’s attack is debuffed, flash when an enemy is about to attack, etc). Probably my biggest problem with the game right now is also in this category – there’s no obvious visual cue for how long someone’s attack timer has left. If there was a bar similar to the fullness bar, that would be awesome.

Of course, all this is easy for me to say, since I don’t have to write it and don’t have to make sure the game has a consistent UI aesthetic.

One last thing: I took a peek at the code, and I guess you aren’t using a single library? Respect! “Just frigging write it” is my favorite form of software development.

3 Likes

Having the transfer not be 1:1 is a good idea.

This is intriguing, but the original idea of items is that it gives the player something to do while the adventurers are on cooldown. Not sure how well lock on jives with that.

UI polish is something I want to do, maybe it will be part of v0.4

Thank you, though this is less a product of me being good at javascript and more me having like no experience with it prior.

1 Like

Eat The Dungeon Bard Poll Winner:
Its the Traveler!

She’s excited for her big adventure!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/26860263

4 Likes

A little look at the results of Sunday’s development livestream session!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/27029252

7 Likes

See now this character is my type =P

I wasn’t originally enthusiastic about the choice for the new character, but now I’m in love haha

2 Likes

the game is a lot of fun and I think it will turn out great, except there is one thing that does bother me and its t he overall pace of the game I feel like its a little slow in the games current state this isnt too bad considering the overall lack of content so far (which is understandable) but I feel like the slower pace the game currently has will hurt the game more and more the more content you end up adding to the game now this is not to discourage you from adding new things but more to say the game speed should probably be altered in the future to keep the game enjoyable

2 Likes

Thank you!!! Are there specific things that drag down the game for you, like the cooldown timers, how much defense the enemies have, or the length of the levels?

3 Likes

@bewildered_angel I wish that the cool down timers were shorter. Other than that I think you are going right on the track to an awesome game!

2 Likes

The thing i have the most difficulty is properly assessing units weakness and what not. It might be easier to to do it if the stats had a more visually distinct background?

2 Likes

I’ll take this into consideration.

Hmm, this is a good point.

2 Likes