EXPAndroid (Cozylad's Submission)

Yeah Ill have to second this. Dont get me wrong, the game is neat, but I always end up hitting the wrong key when needing to jump or transform. Had to switch out my keyboard settings for the english ones to even have a chance. An updated version with a selection between alternate control schemes or remapping would be great in my opinion. All in all its great though.

1 Like

The auto-switching on wall hit was a bit annoying; if you expand on this maybe just make it a thud and screen shake. Other than that it had fairly responsive controls, nice art, and was generally fun through the whole thing.

1 Like

thank you! iā€™d also agree that the state-switching shouldnā€™t happen on impact, seems to be a common line of thinking w/ some of the feedback iā€™ve gotten too. definitely going to be changing that in a post-jam build

1 Like

CozyLad, after every jam when I go to test some of the other entries, I look for your name first. And with good reason! This is such a well done, and fun concept.

It took me a second to get the hang of the controls, but this was awesome once I got used to it. You really built upon the concepts well in a short amount of time, and each level was very intuitive as to what I should or shouldnā€™t do. As some others have mentioned, a console controller would make this feel SO smooth. I imagine having the ā€œexpandā€ key rebound to a trigger so itā€™s only active while HELD instead of a toggle switch, would make things feel even better. I also feel like a faster level restart after dying (like Super Meat Boy) would be a nice tweak.

Artistically, I really liked the little things, like the white pixel animations when transforming, jumping, etc. Theyā€™re such a subtle thing that really make the game feel professional grade. While we didnā€™t get to see as much of your character art with this entry, itā€™s still always a pleasure to see you give life to the charactersā€™ faces.

Thanks for another great game!

2 Likes

Wario Land 3 anyone?

Saw the previews on Twitter, very keen to give it a go. Was hoping for more of the cat girls but hey, variety is the spice of life

1 Like

I like the game, but the post-Jam version probably needs a better learning curve. We have to fumble with complex jumps and keyboard-Twister button presses way too early, which makes sense for a vertical-slice Jam game, but not for an actual game.

1 Like

Come to think of it, youā€™ve put yourself in a bit of a difficult situation. Your last two jam submissions are more than good enough to expand into full games, but that begs the question: which one do you start with? Of course, this is assuming that you want to make them into full games or arenā€™t already working on a different long-term project.

1 Like

I thought they WERE making Culinary Combat into a full game?

1 Like

If they are, then we got very little idea of the current progress of the project sorely from the forums.

Cozy is the only one who could confirm or deny any of these rumors really. But i got no clue if he shares game dev progress on other sites :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I canā€™t download it from itchio any idea why?

1 Like

i think iā€™m gonna need more information than that to know why something might not be working for you

1 Like

Iā€™ve have the same problem idk what is causing it at all or what is causing it.

1 Like

I just downloaded the game off itch and it runs fine.
Windows 10. Firefox. Same usual Smartscreen warning, but that happens with literally every indie game and it goes away just fine.

For real though, guys, when you report an issue, donā€™t just report ā€œshitā€™s borkedā€, I get the same problem with guys giving me the same complaints on my 3D models every now and then, and it almost always turns out they were trying to run Blender on some janky-ass laptop from the 90s.

1 Like

Iā€™m using chrome for one and when ever I download the file it disappears after download

1 Like

Usually the only reason a file would just disappear out of nowhere like that is because Windows (or your antivirus) thought it was a virus, or an especially suspicious file, and decided to quarantine it.
Iā€™d recommend both you and the dev run a quick virus scan, just out of curiosity.

1 Like

Thxs Iā€™ve fixed the problem and played the game

1 Like

This is the first time in a long time that Iā€™ve played a platformer. And despite usually getting frustrated with them, especially if I die a lot, it didnā€™t feel as bad this time. If anything, the simple mechanics that I had here were enough fun that simply trying was a bunch of fun. I think this is also the first time Iā€™ve willingly replayed a game multiple times just to master the controls and speedrun through things.

The only sticking point I had was mostly in the fact that sometimes it felt like the jump and transform buttons didnā€™t seem to work right if I was too close to or in the middle of a collision. This threw off my timing a lot and caused a few problems. Otherwise this game was very fair and the infinite respawns made it much easier and more forgiving despite the tricky jumps and instant death spikes.

Soā€¦ Great job! If I had money to throw, Iā€™d throw it at you to have more of this game.

1 Like

Holy shit, this is probably the best controlling fetish game iā€™ve played in a while

2 Likes

I honestly donā€™t know how it happened, but somehow I encountered a glitch where, after completing the game, I press z to end it and start a new one. However, instead of skinny 002 entering, itā€™s fat 002, and after going through the dialogue, the game automatically ends. When i try again by pressing z, it continues to have fat 002 come in.

:neutral_face: So uh. Yeah. I hope this helps with further development.

iā€™m aware of that issue! itā€™ll be fixed along w/ a few other issues in a post judging patch

1 Like