Feast of the greedy (A wg platformer collectathon)

I have figured out through 2 playthroughs of the demo that wisdom is tied to recruitment costs, since I put one point of wisdom on the first playthrough reduced the cost to 2 hearts, so I deduced that it must be tied to wisdom, which was confirmed when I put 2 points into wisdom on the second playthrough and saw the cost reduced to 1 heart.

FEEDBACK FROM V.0.1

Hello everyone! I hope you had fun! The few pieces of feedback helped a lot!

Following it the following points were the ones everyone were the most vocal about

1: the controls are too floaty1jumpCPlayerMara
The current system for gravity uses the weight has a variable (greater weight = faster fall) But i won’t mind adding a stomp, has a disabling technique and a way to fall faster for the next update. that way people won’t have to wait to reach the floor when they weight very little.

2: the Bloodreaper is too hardBRiddle
This one i was happy to hear. Since usually he isn’t active until some conditions are met, I still wanted to check early if the current unfinished version of it could keep up and be a nuisance even when the player is at peak performance. In the following updates he will actually start disabled and will be enabled by going back trough the crimson forest

3: fall from the side of the world softlock fleshtopE1
This one was just an oversight from my part. It is a necessity to fix that on any current and future map.

4: Quality of life and general ambiance
minor comment were given about sounds and UI. The voice tutorial alone is somewhat confusing t hear, so an additionnal room with subtitles would be perfect. That way people would know what the heck magrinor is saying and could properly learn the moves and controls if they haven’t already.

Also having missing sound for the player (no footstep), food bubbles(any fitting sound from a bubble,munching or generic ding) and the blood reaper (make him extra creepy). Well these will be added in a near future hopefully :slight_smile:

Magrinor’s haggling shop Magrinor%20iddleA4
The stat system had pretty much no explanations. It is however possible for me to make short description of the stat to be shown whenever you hover over them while buying stats from magrinor. This would also prevent
people from dying repeatedly if they don’t know how to reduce recruit cost. (at least for the one or 2 that ask for HP.

Those are the main part of feedback received for the V.0.1 release. Thank you and see you all next week for a preview of the second level!
gruk%20concept

1 Like

Early update since i may be little bit busy tomorrow!
Update #7 of the 2 of november

This week was more about planing additionnal npc that were planned for the game, next week will be all about fixes and coding The second level’s AIs

Trying a few concept for Gruk and the regular guards (currently unarmed) since i have no idea how i should make their guard uniform. The blue guy is an intruder though since he is a sneak peak for a npc for the 3rd level :wink:

gruk%20concept so here’s Gruk, chief of the guard of the second level, The Watch tower
wanted to make a large orc, towering over players and npc alike. Like the blood reaper from the first level, you don’t want to mess with him, but the dynamic should be different. I went for a big pig like aestetic for the face, while using volkenfox has an inspiration for the general body shape.
He was the first to get a concept, but his alternate take on clothing came after the regular guards.

femalegard femalegardC1 femalegardC2 femalegardC3
Those are concepts for the female version of the guards. Curently its very little, being given rather basic leather/ chainmail armor for the first two and trying for a medieval take. Then i tried for a more military design with somewhat of a camo similar to the crimson forest with a more vibrant pink. Those orc have a smaller snout and tusk then Gruk, but still visible while playing.

Nepotraderconcept Say hello to Nepo!
A trapped kind soul, forced to stay chained to a centipede, only by selling all his wares may he be freed from his mobile prison! Nepo will have hopefully a very dynamic shop with various item that could interest the player during their journey, but beware has this mean that you wont be spending the coins into stats!

for those who wishes to know the alpha layout of the level here it is! Lets say that coding elevator is harder than expected, for i made teleporters by accident. Mara seem to be stuck due to this error of coding XD

BrickPreview tiles have been made to help with the decors so we wont be seeing much white in the following weeks :smiley: These have a simple enough design to allow quick variation, like cracks and webs to be added!

Thanks you very much for following the developpement of my game!
The developpement will however be halted during the game jam so expect no updates the 17 and 24 of november. Have a great day :grin:

Update #8 of the 10 of november!
Going to be short and sweet since the free time i got on my game project got put into fixing the elevators (they are teleporters now that works for anyone registered in it!

But also the first draft at a dynamic objective guard AI is underway! Thanks to Heavy heretic for helping me with fixing a dumb mistake on my part. So we got guards that knows how to go about the levels! But i still have to fix a little bit of code since they don’t try to stop at the objective and reset it… but i may know what to fix, and if it works we will have dynamic floor visits.

Next update in 3 weeks due to the game jam! I got an idea called twisted ways! so look foward to it in 2 weeks. :smiley: Have fun!

I don’t know at all if its the right place to do so… or if its just something passing by in my head, i feel like feast of the greedy is just to big for me alone. I got a ton of asset to do, code that react to it… i just suddenly feel dumped. In 2 weeks i almost did all that i wanted for another game, but again… programming AI is above what i can do for now.

I really wish i could just have somebody else coding along side me. I see some code in my head… it looks like it works… but then some unknown error or oversight just make the whole thing come down then i go to the forum/discord for help. But for once, a small project succeeded with twisted ways so i’m asking myself if i should just slowdown the production of feast of the greedy for now and focus on smaller games in order to get the attentions of someone to help me complete my project.

I hope you will all have a great time.

• work on feast of the greedy
  • work on Twisted ways (game jam idea)
  • work on new smaller/simpler ideas

0 voters

1 Like

Thanks alot to those who voted on where i should put my time. I’m quite happy to see the opinion of the demographic here.I have been working on the game and a side project this week so here is all the info.

update #9 of the 1th of december

So I went and fixe a few things people found displeasing during the demo.

First, pressing the down key while in the air cause you to suddently fall at a medium pace.
Initially the code made you all floaty if you kept pressing the key (an actual concept for an item i wished to put into Nepo’s shop) so i’m quite happy. This should make the game a whole lot less floatier in the first few weight states.

second, added invisible walls to the first level to make sure you don’t softlock the game.

Other than that the second level broke when i returned from twisted ways. Several teleporter stoped bringing you to their assigned waypoint, forcing me to change their code to something similar to Twisted ways doors.
This also forces me to redo the whole code for the guards, but since they are broken, there is no need to worry about that.

Finaly…Music! Thanks to huckleberry bleu for making the first piece of music for my game! A spur of the moment 's melody was turned into quite the retro soundtrack. Unfortunately you won’t be able to hear it
until the second demo, but i hope this will be enough to put the initial tone to my Two faced host :wink:

regarding the poll from earlier this week, i took the time to plan correctly all the ideas i had for the feast of the greedy and also start to work on planing stuff for a more visual novel style type of game. Since cakehoarder’s (Junie’s appetite), Hunger from EHCB/Urgurgurg and Penelope’s chrismas of Cozylad were all emotionnal hits. They touched parts of me I inately cherished. So making a living game but more restricted on code would be perfect. Maybe with an approach similar to Monster prom in term of visual and choice, with potential concequences on future events depending on what happened previously.

I hope you all Have a great day.

1 Like

Update #10 of the 9th of december

Hello all! Things went smoother than expected, although not has much time was invested into the game has i would have wanted.

I have started to code the guards back up again and went further than their previous defunct code.
The guards are now similar to the one’s in ocarina of time. They will go to where they need to go, wait for a bit and go to a new spot. They work in term of how they manouver the level, unfortunately for me this is nowhere near my vision of the guards yet since multiple interaction needs to be added to their code.

their style is now confirmed, so i also worked on a few things to help me animate.
guarddrawtemplate femalegardC2
g_eat
(still need to find a way to make clean looking previews -_-)

Next objective will be to make the base version of gruk and some interactible within the level.
Hopefully, there will be a version of him ready down the line, but i won’t be able to sink a lot of time into him until pass wednesday.

Have a great time!

update #11 of the 15th of december

Free time is upon me! This means that, even if i did not get to do much, i should be able to a lot more in the following 3 weeks :smiley:

I was able to make a few asset to make the level more alive! Hopefully, most of these should be able to be used in due time.
frigoA CouchA TableA hidespotA

some of them have a little bit of code, but nothing in working condition yet.

And tried to work on gruk with a new position, i’m not used to drawing sitting fatties. Well hopefully this should not pose much of a problem.

Following week, has for goal to at least:

1. code a basic version of gruk

2. potentially make more sprites for him and other npcs from the guard tower

Have a pleasant day :smiley:

1 Like

update #12 of the 22 of december

Hello everyone! The current progress is nearing a state equal to the v.01 demo :smiley: , But i still wish to have more than last demo, mainly a few basic interactions between npc and the environnement.

The main and only thing really done this week is a more thorough implementation of Gruk, the chief of the guards.
gruk_sleep
I had the chance to make some basic work on a few sprites for gruk in order to more easily program the few important lines of codes. This week, i was able to make it so Gruk became on par with the unfinished gards, then after that, on par with the currently unfinished Bloodreaper. The slumbering giant is as dangerous as the Bloody parkouring bug within is own domain, so make sure to use the few hiding spots if you ever see him about to change floors :wink:

Now only 3 npc remains to be coded in order to for the game to reach a quality similar to the 1st level across the board. But having a lot of animations missing or unfinished makes it so my 2 weeks of free time are blessed.

Have a nice day!

1 Like

update #13 of the 29th of december

Well hello! I hope your Christmas was enjoyable :smiley: In my case it was both fun and productive. A lot of progress has been made and it is time to share it all.

All the basic Ai coding was made, so this means that The second level is mechanicaly completed, but not on par with my idea of how the game should be. The guards works correctly individually, Nepo has a working shop and the helper still has to be tested, but should work fine.

Also made a font for my game.

maybe not the best example of it, a few letter may be redone in the future, but it helps me cut on asset since I can write my promps and subtitles in a more fitting style :slight_smile:

I also did a little bit of research for how i should handle the art style of the backgrounds and the walking animations i could inspire myself from. 100 Ways to Walk - YouTube (100 walks)

It is weird, because i feel like i’m almost there, at the same time i know that i may not be finished if i add everything from this list.

Things left to do out of my mind (to have a base demo)

1. Make level transitions doors and make sure nothing breaks in between

2. update the end screen/ refine the transitions

3. Finish all the base animations

4. Implement additionnal sound and musics

5. update magrinor’s menu

Things i want before posting the demo

1. some interactions between the npcs

2. Make some NECTAR interractions

(optionnal stuff)

1. Updating further the first level graphics

2. Wisdom event

3. Alternate Mara skins/dress

4. Proposing/showing idea for the future

Since the next update maybe a lot more heavely focussed on animations and graphics… but also because i’m quite shy… i don’t know what i should pair it with. I got ideas, i got plans, but i also want to not get to ahead of myself. So i will leave this poll for next year’s first update.

What would you like to know about feast of the greedy?

• Plans for the first level
  • Plans for the second level
  • Plans for the third level and beyond
  • Alternate costumes
  • YBH (your butler/maid here)
  • Other

0 voters

Have a happy new year!g_happy

Update #14 of the 5th of january

Well i hope most of you had a great week, mine was mixed and productive.

So many animation in progress, all stemming from a few key animations.walkmara
All the base sprites for the 2 next sizes of mara are done, but i still feel like i need to make the main body move a little to make it on part with the first runing animation.

A final character is revealed for the second level, and no additionnal ones will be added (for now, who knows)
walkprev mercenaire_battleready1
He is still missing a unique animation, but the base running animation could be recycled from mara’s.

1walkAPlayerMara 1walkBPlayerMara 1walkDPlayerMara 1walkEPlayerMara
The guards are almost done, although, the hostile run is a lot more difficult to transpose than expected.

gruk_tpA gruk_tpB gruk_tpC gruk_tpD gruk_tpE

size1_teleportA size1_teleportB size1_teleportC size1_teleportD

BSTPA BSTPB BSTPC BSTPD BSTPE

Crude teleportations animation were also done. Each last over 1/3rd of a second so this should look fine. My gift making site is unable to make an animation this quick.

A bunch of animations are kept secret from you eyes for now.

I had the chance to work a little bit on Magrinor in order to make him more lively, but i am still runing into some issues. I got to work on transitions, and they work very good, even if the skip one instance of transitions that i need to fix.

Major topic: plans for the 1st level

Many of view must be remembering the bland apperance of the 1st level. At least the main features were present to give a little bit of context. This level is more for the visual, the ambiance than anything. It sets the mood to tell the player that they aren’t home. The whole idea of this forest were concieved in its first iteration during a role playing game a few year back. and i wish to transpose what i had in mind to this very project in some form or another.

I want around a few games to inspire myself and see how i could do the following vision i had in mind.

Celeste

I do not wish to copy them, but looking upon how people did stuff helps a bunch to see how i could transpose my own ideas.

Dead cells has a forest themed level that give the exact things i’m trying to do: a multi layered scape. In their case you have 3-4 layers of background. I may focus on at least getting one layer, with maybe a layer of fog moving between the background and foreground.

on the oposite, we have Celeste, who’s style can be inspiring. I would like that the world i make feels like it is alive. In Celeste case, the world is abandonned, it is a lonely mountain climb. It does not give the same feeling, but how they present the levels is what i wish to do. My ways is more unique, since some environnement will react to your presence. In the case of the forest itself, it would slowly turn read and start animating if you stayed in it for too long. Such an idea would take me at least 4h+ to complete and properly implement.

minor subjects: alternative skins and plans for later versions

Alternates dress are mainly ways to play dress up to a certain point with mara.
Currently only 1 dress is confirmed but won’t be implemented until v.03
In contrast, skins would be complete reskin of mara or allow to play has another characters with potentially their own growth. (time consumming to do for now) Both would be aquired with the standard achievements for the game, ways i force the players to act before allowing them to get the skin or dress they want.

For the plans for later versions, when i made my plans for how i wanted the game to be, turned out i shaved of 1 level that i had no idea what to insert, and in short my game is a little bit smaller. ater levels would need to have a reason to be there, what does X zone job’s have has an impact on the rest of the citadel. It is no use to make a level just for the sake of being a filler. The third level will be more atmospheric and much less treatening. But i would love for it to still make the players react in meaningfull ways.

This is all for now, and my free time is dwindling, has such, i set myself to make the demo ready for the month of march. I have been to much spread out in my normal life in 2018, and has such, more time will be invested into my day to day life then the project itself.

This necessary change will assure a better growth of my skills without having major setbacks.

Have a wonderfull day.

Update #15 of the 12th of january

Hello everyone!, this one week was a lot slower on developpement due to a few things hapenning during the week.

Overal, I was able to refine the title screen’s style to better fit the pixel look of my game: inspiring myself from things like shovel knight and Bloodstained, Curse of the moon.

Other than that, i was able to plan ahead a little for how I wish to spend my time next week.
A lot of core system are lacking right now, and must be setup before i go to far in the project. So this week ordeal will be to make several individual Objects who will be in charge of the :HUD, music, transitions and any saving mechanism. Most of them have code within my Obj-stat who already deals with all the little ingame levers required to have the game going.

Out of the things that ate my time is the code for a side project, a lot ligther in term of content and programming required. I have no date for said project, just that once i’m done with it, i will post it here.

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

Update #16 of the 9th of january

Important personnal life stuff
Life is weird, i took a resolution to take care of important stuff in my life, then a few things on my side not being successful in 2018 are already shaping my 2019. Usually, college and my part-time internship/job would have eaten a lot of free time, but the few classes i failed prevent me from continuing my studies until this september. On this note, i will focus on 2 projects maximum (Feast of the greedy and a mod for Slay the spire…small maybe)

This week has been weird since i just had to run around to assure my future was still ok, and in result, i have started working on the core sound(Obj-dj) and core transition (Obj-transition) objects for my game. They forced me to redo the code of the title screen since it does not want to respond to inputs currently. With my new found free time, i should be able to work everyday on my 2 project, and hopefully complete these two core objects for real.

thanks for following my progress on Feast of the Greedy!

1 Like

Updade #17 of the 26th of january

Well hello everyone! this week was a important in term of learning avenues for how to handle transitions.
I fixed the menu screen, but the transition itself is lacking. I looked at many way to play with the alpha (transparency) of the background and levels, but they cause problems by making the level you are loading in half transparent. I may in time add a proper transition, but for now it will be limited to when the game starts and ends for simplicity’s sakes.

This week’s goal will be the implementation of the various animations made in the 14th update, at least for those i feel are proper. I will be using my efforts on the characters and their implementation, so finaly! i will be able to see if i should improve on some animations i found proper.

This sound the moment when i integrate the first nectar event but also (complete the teleporters)

Have a great week.

2 Likes

update #18 of the 2th of febuary.

Well hello! The progress has been slow since a lot of stuff happened on my side, but to be short i was able to start working on the integration of the teleportation animation for the various character. I also tried to fix a few bugs with Magrinor, but to no avail.

Important life stuff
Due to sheer luck, a preventive surgery to improve my health will happen this monday (instead of waiting up to next year). Due to this i have no idea i will have to lay off coding/drawing for any reason but hopefully not.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

This is a quick update, There was no progress this week, has i took it to rest the best way i could. Next week, i should have done some manners of progress. Have a great Day!

ps: the operation went smoothly.

2 Likes

Same has last week unfortunately, I’m getting the surgery’s stitches removed from the scar this monday, and with it i’m setting up a more permanent work schedule for my game. Having a few alarms for when to start working on the game will hopefully give me the additionnal push to get to it again.

I do not wish to delay my game for april, so commiting to this schedule is a must.
Have a great day!

2 Likes

So little progress was made, i mainly tried to be creative in some shape or form of game making so i just took notes of ideas and fiddled with rpg maker ace X_X

Now that the stiches are removed i need to go to the doctor 3-4 times a week. This in turn eat a lot more time than expected. At least i should be able to work on animations in due time, so for now i will focus on completing the background instead. This way i can at least plan ahead how i wish the decor to look like. I still got to make a complete set of animations for Gruk at the minimum, so my focus should be redirected to him in term of animating. Thanks for your understanding. A late march release is better than no release in my mind.

Have a great day.

2 Likes

Update #19 of the 2nd of march

Finaly i just took the time to sit and start working on Gruk walking animation. I’m still having my free time and willpower eaten by hours of travel to be sure that my surgery is healing well, but at least i was able to start working on gruk.

Hopefully my last few visits to the doctor should end this week (this did eat a month of free time due to circumstance) Once it is done, progress should happen. I make it my goal to push a decent update this month.

THE FETISH UPDATE (giggle internaly)
since this will include a shop, the NECTAR to fatten up the player and the npc alike, and Gruk who i have no idea if he can qualify has a proper obese male character whose shape and traits will hopefully please the people who will play this update.

Have a great Day!

2 Likes

important life stuff

I’l be sorry to say that i’m unable to properly focus on anything. And so the next update could be anything.
So since the healing process is slow i now get an additionnal type of treatment (painfull one at that). Who knew a single surgery would be the biggest torn in my deadline. I can no longer promise that i’l be able to make my game much better, but at least, the nectar should be in the final product. I will put a proper game update here if i do succeed in doing anything important. Otherwise, i hope you will look foward to at least a partial preview of what i had planned. Have a great day.

4 Likes