Feed the Crown (Roops' Submission)

I really love hearing everyone’s different reactions to the Knights, because they’re just so different! Like @EarthboyJAK mentioned, I find the Cat’s climbing to be incredibly useful as a handicap for some of the tougher jumps. Though my personal favorite is the Bird, because I like the control the all the extra jumps get you.

@M40P Welcome to the site! It means a TON that people continue to offer to support the project! At this point in time I am actively working on an updated and e x p a n d e d version of the game, but am not asking for money right now. If you want to support me, feel free to follow me on twitter and my itchio for updates on development!

@Calcifer Thanks so much for playing and commenting! For the record, the ending is slightly different if you get all 27 crates in a run, but I’m definitely working on some more fun rewards for the next update! Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Just completed the game (best scores), it’s awesome. Should totally win this jam! This game is complete and only glitched out 2 times (in the like 50 times I’ve played already). The personalities of the queens are super fitting and cute (though I felt kinda bad feeding bird lady). Well done! IMO the game doesn’t even need an update, bc it’s already super, but really looking forward to that as well!
PS: cat lady=best girl

3 Likes

I hope you didn’t take my last comment as criticism! Since then I have beaten the game with all the knights and the challenges were very rewarding.

1 Like

Ok, now I finished also the bird 100% and yes I noticed that the bird queen dialogues are different.
The difficulty was like that for me: mouse easy, cat medium, bird hard. But probably I just needed to learn how properly use the “fly skill”, anyway a chekpoint after you feed the queen or two different options when you die like “go back to the queen caste with what you have found” and “try the level again” would be great.

2 Likes

Yeah, an option to retry a level would be amazing, especially if you’re going for a flawless run, and you don’t want to start the whole game over.

Just played Feed the Crown and then The Breakfast Chub, and can easily say that Roops has a running theme of putting Queens in their games, whether they’re literal queens or not.

10 Likes

Hey everyone! Just a quick update on the game–my job has been VERY busy lately, but I wanted to take the time to provide a Devlog Update for those who might be interested. I plan to continue sharing these updates via itchio and twitter (and here until the topic gets closed after judging), so be sure to follow me on those platforms if you want to stay in the loop!
Devlog1

14 Likes

Oh man, poor bird knight TwT

I find it hilarious how these poor sods are risking life and limb just for a few extra slices of cake to be stuffed down some greedy gullet.

Devlog sounds solid. While it was neat to see the additional dialogue branches for more or less successful heists, it makes sense for people to shoot for the top. I do like the idea of being rewarded for going the extra mile - finding the Pig Queen’s personal secret stash!

For Queen and Country! (I guess?)

1 Like

Wow, you’ve made a ton of progress in such a short amount of time, way to go! I was actually just about to make a post in this thread to show continued interest, I’m still super hyped. It’ll be interesting to see how the new obstacles pan out with different knights at different weight levels. That’s a lot of variabilities, it must be tough accounting for all the combinations. For instance, what happens if you try to bounce on a fat pig or bump into one your knight is ALSO huge? It’d be fun to get to push over a pig knight that used to give you grief.

I see you’ve gone the route of increased linearity, and I respect the decision. It seems like you found a good compromise for the challenge too, although I’m a little scared about just how high up you’ll pump the struggle in the later stages! How are you planning on implementing the bonus stages in terms of upping the queens’s weight? Will the extra food take effect right away, or do you think you’ll check for the bonuses at the end?

1 Like

Heh, the Cat Queen did say she wanted to be “overflowing” out of her throne. Sounds like she may get her wish yet… <w<

6 Likes

Looking forward to this update and future updates VERY much! Especially cannot wait to see the new dialog with the Queens and how much fatter the Queens get! Keep up the amazing work!!!

1 Like

I like the changes this makes it feel more like a good Mario game and You had me At Fatter queens.

1 Like

Well I’m hype. Can’t wait to see what you do with this. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for checking out the Devlog, everyone!

I appreciate the continued interest–the community’s eagerness to see more of the game really drives my motivation to make it!

@Aurochs
I’m still working out the system right now, but the next Devlog will thoroughly address the matter of the Knights’ weight levels. As a quick an dirty overview: the plan is to make the weight less of “exclusively a punishment” and more of a mechanic that is situationally a positive/negative tradeoff. You’ll have to be a specific weight to be able to pass certain areas successfully, and the levels will involve ways to gain/lose weight while within them.

As for the bonus stages–the hidden level secrets will actually be keys to unlock extra areas of the castle. These extra areas will be presented in the form of additional castle levels that can are played after the “standard” ending for each Queen. This way all players can get a satisfying ending, but the devoted can REALLY please their Queen!

8 Likes

One thing I would suggest doing, for the sake of the environments, is to add windows, locked doors, coats of arms, weapon racks, maybe shelves with various props and tidbits. It’s not a priority or something that’s absolutely necessary, but it does bring a little more “life” to the castle. Maybe even an effigy, a statue or a bust of the yet-unseen Pig monarch.

1 Like

I would say a statue would be great since it could act as an in level checkpoint if you are about to reach a very hard spot. (I.E. Defacing the pig queen’s statue as a checkpoint.)

1 Like

Definitely agree for more juicing up of the environment, at some point.

Heh, maybe the secret unlockable stages could be gaudily decorated with the Pig Queen’s likeness everywhere as you raid her private sanctums. Just makes me think of the “secret candy room” from Some Bullshit, haha.

Now that we see some of the traps are potentially powered - cutting-edge technology, ho ho - it’s plausible that there are “generators” within the castle where unfortunate swine are relegated to run on treadmills to provide mechanical power… I’m sure there could be a free treadmill or two somewhere for a portly knight to shed some pounds. Heck, you could even make it part of a puzzle, powering a trap to use it against some pig guards blocking the way!

This moment from SNES game Sparkster sprung to mind :3image
(and why yes, I may have downloaded and played a Sparkster ROM just to find this scene and update this post >w<)

2 Likes

Nicer (and hopefully more varied) environments are certainly on the table for the home-stretch “let’s polish things” work!

In fact, windows (and and a few other things) were even made during the Gain Jam, but time is always the enemy hahaha.
CastleBricksTile

9 Likes

stuck on this one box from mouse level 1

Did anyone manage to get this one?

You can’t get it. Each knight can only currently access 3 boxes per level.

1 Like