Feed the Crown (Roops' Submission)

A brilliant idea! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Let me in, LETTTTTTTT ME INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

The mouse seems to not be able to make this jump I have been trying for a few minutes

1 Like

@BeatBito Hahaha. The highest the mouse can jump is up a ledge that is three tiles up! So there’s another way through that maze!

2 Likes

Really nice game, tho I found a bug, I clicked two times on [UP] in front of a door and it sent me to the next level, fatter and without having healed me, also the queen hadn’t eat at all.

Well now I feel stupid

Last Gam Jam and now you blow me away. Love, love, love it.

3 Likes

On the mouse labyrinth level, you can fall off the map if you go too far to the left at the exit

One of the best games I’ve played on this site! I finally got a perfect run for the mouse resistance, slightly dissapointed that there isn’t any extra reward for that.

I hope you expand on the game after the jam, and add a few more levels so we can see the queens getting a little bit larger.

5 Likes

Absolutely superb game! It’s clear you’ve really improved since last year’s jam. This game is so fantastic in all aspects. All the queens look amazing, the platforming works wondefully and I really think the platforming aspect makes the feeding and weight gain aspect all the more enjoyable as you are directly rewarded for your skill.

I’d love to see you develop this further with more weight levels and queens, would be amazing to see them get to the sizes we saw in Breakfast Chub.

6 Likes

I played this game yesterday and I absolutely love it! The three queens are very cute! (I can’t choose a favorite as I’m currently split between the Bird and Cat queen lol). But that just goes to show how good you are at making unique personalities for your characters, Roops! Very good job! Only thing I would change would be adding checkpoints for each day as some others have recommended.

3 Likes

Hah! I thought the same thing when I realized nice were freedom fighters. Looks like we have a good amount of Root players around here.

3 Likes

Also, I’m not sure what triggers it, but I’ve had the game skip screens or feeding portions at times, but so far only when playing the cats.

Are there supposed to be some crates inaccessible to certain species? There doesn’t seem to be a way to get this one except as a cat.

This is definitely my favorite game from the jam so far. I love the visuals so much and the gameplay is great (both the platforming and the feeding). I can’t wait to see more from this project!

2 Likes

Correct, whereas the cat knight can’t grab one of the crates in the room due to spikes. You’ll see this later on as well with crates being accessible to only certain knights. There should be an equal number of crates accessible to each knight however.

4 Likes

@notmaebarakeiichi Thanks for reporting that bug! I know exactly why it happens and am fixing it for the next patch (but it won’t be released until the judges have scored the entry for the sake of fairness!)

@Evol D’oh! Totally forgot to put walls there, didn’t I? Thanks for pointing that out–adding it to my fix list.

@furulu Thanks for playing and mentioning that! I’ll have to look at my code for changing screens. Sounds like there’s something funky going on. If you happen to find a way to reproduce it, please let me know!

@Shugoki Thanks for playing! As @AlexKay mentioned, there are some crates that can only be accessed by certain animal knights. However, every level will have three accessible crates regardless of what knight you are.

1 Like

Hm, if there were different vagabonds instead of knights, the challenges could be vagabond dependent and the feedings queen dependent, so you could mix and match. And maybe each combination could have an exclusive line of dialogue (or a couple), to give further incentive to try a different vagabond with a different faction.

So this is a good game; my biggest gripe is really that there’s no gallery to view the queens at all weights we’ve managed to get them to.

7 Likes

Wow this is good I love that each knight has a different skill that change the levels and the queens cute.

2 Likes

Just a quick walkthrough for all the food boxes, spoilered in case you wanted to find them yourself, each Knight can get three boxes per stage, for a total of 9 per day and 27 in all.

What you get per box
0 = Nothing
1+ = Chicken Legs
2+ = Mixed Fruit and Veggies
3+ = Bread Rolls
5+ = Chocolate Strawberries
7+ = Cheese Wheel
All 9 = Pie

I recommend playing the mouse the first time around, even though it can’t fly or climb and only has 2 HP. It’s small hitbox and high jump makes it really easy to dodge obstacles and weight doesn’t become an issue for weak floor tiles, which will let you explore the levels at your own pace.

Level 1-1

• First Box is impossible to miss, in the corner just past the first crossbowman.
  • Second Box is on the floor above the first with spiked balls protecting it.
  • Third Box is on the third level, guarded by two patrolling piggies.

Level 1-2
The Bird Knight has to fly onto ledge above the entrance to get the Second Box, the First Box can still be retrieved afterwards.

• First Box is in the second trench in front of the second crossbowman.
  • Second Box is impossible to get for the Cat Knight, the Bird Knight has to fly onto the ledge at the beginning and dodge the patrolling guard and the spike balls. The Mouse Knight only has to go through the small tunnel next to the Third Box.
  • Third Box is only available to the Cat Knight, right after the second crossbowman and the Second Box.
  • Fourth Box is impossible to miss, right after the Third Box.

Level 1-3
This is a challenge level based on the current player character. Three boxes at the end reward the player for beating the level. The Cat Knight has to climb a narrow tower, dodging spikes and crossbowmen. The Bird Knight has to fly over gaps, then dodge spikes and finally avoid a large patrol of Pigs. The Mouse Knight has to navigate a Maze with the boxes scattered within.

Level 2-1

• First Box is only available to the Mouse Knight, you have to go through the tunnel under the stairs right at the beginning and carefully time your jumps to evade a crossbowman guarding it.
  • Second Box is only available to the Cat Knight, you have to climb the wall on your left right at the beginning and dodge the crossbow bolts from the right.
  • Third Box is impossible to miss as you climb the stairs.
  • Fourth Box is impossible to miss for any Knight, right in front of the exit.
  • Fifth Box is only available to the Bird Knight, you have to fly from the exit to the ledge on the left and avoid the spikes.

Level 2-2

• First Box is impossible to miss, you just have to dodge the crossbow arrows (Note that the second arrow will always shoot over your head if you don’t jump…)
  • Second Box is right in front of the crossbowmen shooting at you from the exit.
  • Third Box is above the exit on a ledge.

Level 2-3
Same as 1-3, but you’re heavier now and the Mouse Knight’s maze has changed.

Level 3-1

• First Box is only available to the Cat Knight, up and to the left of the entrance.
  • Second Box is right in the center of the room on top of spikes covered with crumbling floor tiles.
  • Third Box is only available to the Mouse Knight in a tunnel under the pedestal accessed from the far left.
  • Fourth Box is only available to the Bird Knight from above the Mouse’s tunnel entrance.
  • Fifth Box is right above the second box at the top of the room, on top of more crumbling floor tiles.

Level 3-2

• First Box is on the second tower, on top of a crumbling floor tile above some spikes.
  • Second Box is on the first tower, right after dodging the crossbowmen. The Cat Knight has to climb up from the crumbling floor tile below.
  • Third Box is impossible to miss, right in front of the exit.

Level 3-3
Same as 1-3 and 2-3, but your heavy weight makes these challenges almost impossible for the Bird and Cat Knights.

4 Likes