Feed the Crown (Roops' Submission)

dunno why but I has idea for new knight. Wolf queen and her knight about attack but down side only attack the pig knight, ignore their food. since they all predator, what you think?

for example instead of taking three chest of food he must kill three enemies per level…?

1 Like

Yep for the reason for that is wolf queen hated the pig with pure passion say it was they agree to share but pigs trick them, don’t care for other reason for either they make the deal or they only target who tricks

1 Like

Y’all’re out here suggesting entirely new knights/queens when I just wanna know what the fuck the pig queen’s doing. We never even learn what she looks like.

1 Like

@Shugoki I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the Pig Queen exists! There just wasn’t time to put her in the game for the jam. My current plan is to fix some bugs, add music and polish, and then include the Pig Queen in the official Version 1.0 release after the judging and scoring has ended. So she’s first on the docket in terms of more characters.

@Maria_House That’s cool idea you’re exploring, but I actually have some semi-related ideas that I won’t spoil just yet!

1 Like

thank you and head for weird detail the wolf queen see cat queen more like a sister. often share thing like foods or stuff cats needs

Yeah, this absolutely needs a way to restart from the beginning of each level. It’s unbearably frustrating to screw up on the last stage for a stupid reason and have to go through the whole thing again, especially when the feeding scenes take longer than the platforming levels.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the elusive pig queen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Were you planning on adding some bonus content if the player collects all the crates in the final version? Just curious.

1 Like

@Korota Thanks for the feedback! Truthfully, I’m pretty torn about implementing a level restart function. It took a lot of work to include the sprites and account for the player finishing with any number of crates.

I wanted a perfect run to feel like something the player really had to work hard to earn (and I’m impressed with those who have done it!). I feel like if there was a restart function, everyone would just restart each level non-stop until they got all the crates. At which point I might as well just make the game linear where you can’t progress until you DO get them all. As it is now, the player is directly rewarded for the amount of effort they’re willing to put in.

Definitely going to have to think on that design decision a bit more, but I really appreciate hearing the opinions on it! I DO plan to add an option to speed the feeding scenes up to make repeat playthroughs quicker for the dedicated perfectionists!

@MightyHalberd Definitely planning on adding some bonus content/rewards beyond the current endings! I have some fun ideas, but I’m keeping them close to my chest for the time being so I can hopefully surprise people.

4 Likes

Is there an actual reward to getting all the food, or is it just one more tiny step bigger like every step up to then? Either way, it’s at the point where I’m not sure it’s worth the aggravation of playing through this another dozen times only to get fucked over by the game deciding my jump off the very edge of a tiny platform onto another tiny platform was two pixels too short and dropping me into spikes.

Just tested it now for posterity, and it seems you do need all 9 food crates in order to get the maximum size meal, and you’ll need all 27 crates to get the best ending.

Not sure how difficult it would be to code so take this with a grain of salt, but if you want to add a retry function without it feeling unrewarding, could you possibly add continues between stages?

Maybe if you die or exit the stage without all the boxes you can get a message like “You had to escape or risk being captured, do you want to go back in to finish or return with this?” and it gives you the option to retry the whole level with all three stages or to continue.

Good way to give people a redo in case they mess up that last jump and you can limit the number of continues to keep the challenge element and ensure you feel rewarded when you do ace the level.

1 Like

Still wish there was an easy option, I suck at platforming, especially with that many spikes and small platforms

1 Like

I really enjoyed the game, and the concept is great, but I have to admit at times the game turned from challenging to… just frustrating. I stopped having fun on the tower climb in the rat knight quest, due to one incredibly precise jump that would send you plummeting down if not perfectly lined up. I did genuinely enjoy the game, and the girls are adorable, but combining the clunky feeling of heavier and heavier knights, with the sometimes infuriating platforming difficulty spikes, and in the case of my cat play through, literal spikes, a checkpoint system, save system, or even like a map of some kind would really help alleviate the anger I felt whenever I had a very good run, then botched the third stage and didn’t complete the cat run.

2 Likes

I think I know the jump you mean - I’m guessing it’s one of the jumps between the right and left towers? I didn’t find it as troublesome with the Mouse as I did with the Cat. Oof, that was annoying. That jump pretty much demands you to be on the pixel edge.

For what it’s worth, the Cat stage is definitely the harder course of the three - but the reward is all the sweeter!

1 Like

Beat the game with all three queens, then went back and cheated to pick up something like 50 crates per level. My favorite to play as is the mouse, my least favorite is the cat. Not sure which of the three queens I like the best, though.

Hey there, I decided to make an account so I could leave some comments about this game. It was an enjoyable little platformer with puzzle elements, and I quite enjoyed it! Using a mixture of shared levels and knight-specific levels is a pretty clever way of showing off the unique abilities of each knight. Since each knight has to approach the shared levels differently, it helps keep them from getting stale, especially when they have knight-specific areas and boxes.

I noticed that someone earlier mentioned that they encountered an issue where some levels or feeding scenes would be skipped. I also had this problem, and I believe I know what triggers it. It seems that if you press Up multiple times while standing in front of a level’s exit, you’ll advance by that many levels instead of just one (e.g. if you’re on Level 2 and you press Up 3 times, you’ll end up on Level 5 instead of Level 3).

The Cat Knight can feel a little awkward to control at times due to the fact that if you jump while pressing up against the wall, you won’t get the full height of the jump due to the Cat Knight immediately attempting to cling to the wall. It also just feels a bit strange to me that the wall climbing ability essentially amounts to unlimited small jumps while pressing up against a wall. (Perhaps it was just easier to code that way?) I think it would have felt a bit easier to control if it worked something like this:

• Pressing Left or Right against a wall allows you to cling in place (but does not interrupt the ascending part of your jump).
  • If you have downward momentum when you attempt a wall cling, you’ll slide down the wall a certain distance before stopping. Said distance depends on your momentum and weight.
  • Pressing Up or Down while you’re in a stationary wall cling (still holding Left or Right) causes you to climb up or down at a steady rate for as long as you hold Up or Down.

This is just a suggestion, though, and I don’t know how difficult it would be to code, so just ignore me if I’m suggesting something impractically difficult.

I agree with what others have said about the need for checkpoints and the difficulty spikes. I managed to get through the Bird Knight’s final level unscathed with a bit of luck (I happened to pick a good time to start working my way through the Pig Knights), but I actually couldn’t beat the Cat Knight’s final level by any method other than saving all my health so I could damage boost twice off the spikes. The fact that I had to go through all the other (much easier) levels and the full-length feeding scenes just to get another crack at the one actually difficult level made things much more frustrating. I definitely understand wanting to make the best ending hard to achieve, but having to redo a lot of trivial stuff on each attempt is just tedious, not actually difficult.

Oh, and one more thing… Since there’s been some discussion about adding new knights, I guess I’ll throw in my own off-the-wall suggestion: Armadillo Knight! Ball up and bowl over obstacles and enemies alike! You’re invincible while rolling, and you can even crash through certain barriers if you’re heavy enough! However, once you start rolling, you can’t stop until you hit a solid wall (or wall spikes–ouch!), so be careful where you aim!

2 Likes

I like the Cat Queen for obvious reasons but my personal fave is the Mouse “Queen” as she’s got a delightfully intriguing personality.

Does she have a gluttonous past? She can put food away without struggling like a certain bird and seemingly enjoys it as much as a certain cat. She even makes references to eating like this some time before…

And then there’s the Resistance angle. I’m still unsure whether she’s merely blinded to her over-consumption by her ideology, or if she’s exploiting the Resistance to sneakily further her own gluttonous pursuits. A mix of both?

I’m sure if a poll came up as to people’s favourite queen, the Bird Queen would comfortably be people’s 3rd choice, which is a slight shame (of course this is all conjecture so maybe I’m talking out of my arse, lol). I like that she’s the “purest” of the three and I don’t know if I’d prefer preserving that or whether I’d like to see a slight corrupting of her self-restraint at the end.

Your thoughts on the Bird Queen?

1 Like

IDK, I like the bird queen, but something about her beak is setting me off, like it’s too small or too high on her face, I can’t quite nail it down.

2 Likes

Cat queen is deg my personal favourite, her personality and design is definitely most appealing to me.

I really like the bird queen’s unwillingness and think it’d be best for variety if she remained unhappy about her gain but did it for the sake of her people. The cat and mouse both like (or at least don’t seem to be bothered) by getting fat so bird queen adds some variety.

1 Like