Forks: A Weight Gain Visual Novel (Cancelled, all assets posted for everyone)

The changes have been made. We’ve removed every emote from the streaming scene, with no current plans to replace them. No changes other than that, and I apologize to anyone the emotes affected. I want to thank @e123b for working so quickly with me on this.

4 Likes

Whoever put in the Skeet Surfing line has fantastic taste in movies

1 Like

Can we get an f in the chat for pogchamp

9 Likes

Nice work; looking forward to seeing more. Was playing the 1/7/21 build and saw this repeated “lbs”:

$ print_weight = "250 lbs" if persistent.display_units == 'Imperial' else "110 kg"
h "I was always so small in comparison, then before I knew it, I was over [print_weight] lbs..." #sad
1 Like

Thanks for the report! I can’t believe I missed another one :sweat_smile:

I’ll put that in with the next update!

1 Like

So you’ve probably notice that the extra fat Alex sprite is only a face w/ no body. I was going down Rea’s path and the dream happen and it kind of creep me out for a second.

1 Like

That’s not good, it’s important players get to see that preview. I have to make several manual edits every time I release a public build, and it looks like I missed that step this time. I’ve uploaded builds again, checking to make sure it shows up properly. This should hopefully be the final build until the next content update later this month.

Thanks for pointing that out. I swear I’m not trying to offload playtesting, but this sure does show how important playtesters are. They do not get enough credit :anguished:

8 Likes

Testing your own work is nigh on impossible!

9 Likes

Glad I played early in the morning. Probably going to test a few other areas of the game to see if it’s the same on other routes.

2 Likes

Suggestion to improve clarity and readability of any VN. Give each major character their own color for their speech text to be that color. It looks cheesy and amateurish but IMO it’s a pretty big upgrade in terms of ALWAYS being able to easily keep track of who is saying what, I think it might be especially helpful in combination with your multiple dialog boxes.

4 Likes

Y’know I like the concept, but if they do it I’m kinda hoping there’s a option to just have regular color text /black text unless the majority agrees with you.Since I know some people ain’t gonna like it.

2 Likes

Oh, that made me realize I misread the suggestion, thus not posting because I thought it was fine. What I thought I saw (and am now suggesting) is not coloring the text itself, but the text boxes for each character. For a sort-of example, look at Danganronpa V3. Whenever the player character is talking, the background for the text box turns yellow, and their name appears on the right side of the screen (often nearby their sprite). Whenever someone else is talking, the background is black, and the name is on the left side of the screen. Now, that game could be said to have 16 main characters plus several side characters, so it makes sense that it’s only giving the player character a unique background, but with the smaller scope character-wise of this project, you could give each character their own pastel shade of background (to not stray too far from the current background), and I feel it’s less likely to be disliked by some like Awildrando thinks would happen with different colored text.

There I go again, spending a hundred words over something that can surely be described in less…

2 Likes

I think the way it currently is is best, with only the names coloured. Having the whole text change colour would be incredibly jarring and annoying to read.

I think better ways to add visual clarity to who is talking, even though I don’t think it’s needed, would be to either switch the Name Box around depending on where the character is on the screen in relation to everyone else or to give the talking character some kind of high-light or darkening the non-talking characters. Though I think it’s fine as is right now these things would be less annoying then changing text colour.

1 Like

Actually I like the idea of the box changing shades even better than the text (better than my suggestion). I do think though that for example in forks it can be hard if not impossible to tell who is talking to who especially with the 2 dialogue box feature, and if that moves up to 3 it could get even more confusing…

Sorry to be a bother again Tron and team :slight_smile:

Rea’s phone note from March 23rd is still listed in lbs with metric checked.

1 Like

Obviously there’s only one solution: we contact the International Standards Council, and have them adjust the weight of the kilo so it equals one pound.

Shouldn’t cause any problems.

4 Likes

Isn’t that kind of backwards? Obviously pound has to be adjusted \s

1 Like

We just have to take over America so they can finally use the metric system.

1 Like

Fine, fine, fine. To avoid any arguments, we’ll create a new system. With blackjack. And hookers.

We shall call it the metric turnip.

2 Likes

you’re thinking too small. we must measure everything in turnips. length, mass, volume, all relative to a turnip.

2 Likes