Forks: A Weight Gain Visual Novel (Cancelled, all assets posted for everyone)

Pushed another Aria update out, time to check WG before bed! It’s been so nice to be back at the office, it really is like everything I’d done during WFH was at a fraction of my old pace. I"m feeling good about the future!

If I ever get laid off or (dreams willing) get to work on games full-time, I need an office. Not my desktop at home, somewhere where my brain knows it’s work time :muscle:

@smugdotexe Hi, I’m glad you had so much fun :grin:! It’s always wonderful knowing I was able to make someone’s day better, thanks for the kind words! It’s been both exciting and scary to finally start making real inroads with the narrative. When I was first starting Forks, all the juicy WG stuff seemed so far away, and now it’s quickly approaching and I’m learning how to handle it in real-time!

It helps me to keep in mind that this is ultimately a story about trying to navigate life’s obstacles, the WG will (hopefully! God it better hopefully!) naturally fall into place as it has been :upside_down_face:

@cerberus Hey, you’re in Total War: Troy now! That’s on my to-play list for whenever the heck I have time :rofl:. Rea is indeed the Alaskan girl!

@Ark_Raptor Thanks! The demo’s calendar starts in January and the in-progress update picks up in April, so with so much still to see you bet it’ll go past Thanksgiving! If things go well, there may indeed be a scene at Alex’s house for the occasion. We’ll see, nobody’s narrative really needs Thanksgiving, so I haven’t given it much thought yet :sweat_smile:

As for why Rea hasn’t celebrated Thanksgiving, you’ll find out why once she opens up about it. You’ll also learn why a zoomer like her played so much Doom on her dad’s i486. They’re connected!

@namad Yep! Honestly, the wild hope is that Forks goes through multiple Thanksgivings. In-game, hopefully not in real life :sleeping:

Being back at the office is huge, so I hope I can keep up the momentum and keep you all updated!

18 Likes

All this hound can say Is
Go home team! Alaska is underused in media

The only two characters I know now that are from Alaska are Rea and commander Riker from star trek :laughing:

1 Like

It’s a delight to know that more will be coming at some point! It is a great story/game and a pleasure to navigate the routes! Thanks for all you do.

2 Likes

Hey Tron. I hope the return to office work has been smooth with the newborn and all. Wish you all the best.

4 Likes

this can happen sometimes don’t worry they could of forgotten due to their busy schedule so i wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to show us something before posting something this month

1 Like

He has acquired a small human. That tends to eat up one’s schedule.

12 Likes

Your message reminds me of this part of the video.

6 Likes

Ok it makes sense.
Sorry I’m new and I’m used to constant updates, but the reason for the absence is clear

9 more to 1000 comments. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Holy crap, I gotta get in on this countdown!

@Shugoki is right, I’ve got my small human strapped to me as I type with one hand and use the other to keep him asleep (and away from all the sweet, sweet fatty action in my testing window). This kid’s going to have weird parents :sweat_smile:

Nonetheless, here’s some progress shots! When was the last time I uploaded an actual screenshot? Really, I forget! Nonetheless, these are from new scenes:

Was working on Rea’s path tonight. I’ve written a lot but implemented little. Fork’s codebase is pretty ramshackle in places, so I’ve had to remind myself of all the little things I put in to make everything work. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep that last Alex expression (our programmer made it for fun), but it’s cute and I’m thinking of twisting Toro’s arm into making an official version.

We’ve also worked more on a “texting overlay” that’s been mostly done for a while now but I’ve never shown it off!

It supports pictures too! (above screen is just a testbed).

If any patrons are reading this, you’re right in that I have an Aria update to post, too! I swear, this sweet little parasite of a son’s a time machine. It’s like each time I look at the clock it’s another day, but enjoy!

38 Likes

You are right about the time between screenshots. Not that I’m complaining.

Anyways this was a lot of content. Although I am the most curious about where the screenshot at the cafe is gonna go if you want my 5 cents. Probably because Morgan is mentioned. But thanks for the screenshot drops either way Tron.

3 Likes

liking the new update with the picture thus far and i hope it won’t be long that we see the new update and just to amuse some people i’ll give my first impressions about the pictures you just uploaded.
Image 1: If Rea is saying that then she clearly doesn’t know how commited Alex is to food and is needing a hand from the nutritionist expert
Image 2: So Hannah and Grace are now roomates in this route?, although i think Grace might be teaching Hannah to open her eyes to the wider things happening at the price of her figure in the future
Image 3: couldn’t get any more anime trope than those eyes although why is she panicking Morgan already knows… right?
Image 4: is that the History log for the game?- anyway nice to see Reas mom being mentioned but i doubt will see her in the game itself as a sprite at the moment which is a shame but i can’t blame you Tron
Image 5: Ah alex knowing Rea far too well than Hannah perhaps making Hannah Jealous?

Question time once again!, seeing how Reas route is playing out by these images i wouldn’t be surprised if their route is hidding their secret desires from their family, while Graces will be embracing who you want to be and Hannahs is… hidding what you really want but it effecting your interest with said desire as your urges are getting to you?..

2 Likes

I created an account just to post this: Thanks for the update. Glad to see that any progress is happening.

As a Rea fan I noticed that the hoodie she is wearing in one of the pictures teased in this thread is of lighter color then her usual one. Is this intentional?

1 Like

Great work so far! I was charmed by the demo. I thought the project died because I knew it only from itch but I’m so glad the game still is in the development. To make sure, you’re not releasing “updates” as new versions of game but the game will be released once it’s done 100%? 2nd question: where the game will be published? I’m hyped! I’m looking forward to see how far Alex (under guidance of Grace <3 ) will go and I hope she won’t stop soon. I loved how it’s left up to player’s decision if we want Alex to eat even more (cake choice etc.). Keep it up, good man. Your game is awesome!

1 Like

Super awesome to see some screenshots, I always love sneak-peaks! I think these thread the needle of giving a lot to latch onto while not giving away too much; I have a vibe of what’s going on but am still excited to play the new scenes when they come out.

Congrats on all the progress Tron! i’m loving all these updates!

1 Like

You keep that placeholder expression or so help me god I’m gonna have to mod the game myself to put it back in there! Forget an official version, that’s hilarious!

5 Likes

Congrats to making 1001 comments :star_struck:

3 Likes

the hoodie is lighter because it has faded with washing​:joy::joy: