Forks: A Weight Gain Visual Novel (Cancelled, all assets posted for everyone)

I can take a guess: Toro was supposed to create more CG’s for Forks, and now with that no longer being an option, either the CG art is going to be very different, or the game is doneski. Likely the latter given circumstances.

Also, I just noticed that Toro took down his Twitter. Sad times.

5 Likes

The Patreon post did not mention exactly what happens to Forks as it focused more on Aria and the overal situation but I agree that it doesn’t look good. The thing is I decided to ask here about it since it felt still weird that Tron hasn’t posted anything here about this nor did the Patreon post specifically say that Forks is shelved too.

It’s really sad if it comes to that. Forks looked really promising project as it had capable writer and artist that were doing top notch work. Despite the process sometimes seemed to need a project manager. I still don’t know any other game that is close to anything like Forks when it comes to quality.

1 Like

Yes, Toro has decided to formally retire. Here is a link to the actual post of Aria for those interested. Also, Aria has its original demo restored in a new post for what it is worth.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/so-stranger-73239113?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_fan

2 Likes

It does sound like aria’s art was incomplete but fork’s art is maybe closer to complete, maybe closer enough to inspire tron to finish the writing? A few placeholders or WIP or blank CGs would probably be better than never finishing the story.

Although that might just be wishful thinking on my part :slight_smile:

4 Likes

its such a understandable yet sad news to hear this, i hope whatever each other plan to do in future goes well for them and i hope Tron does come in here and explain the situation also…

It sucks that the project is canned for now that had so much positiveness from the i guess the people who were looking forward for this to actually release but in the end its their decision.

And while i would really like to ask Tron about how far forks was before this happened, i prefer not to unless both tron and toro left on good terms just out of respect for the dedication to keep this project going for as long as they did.

3 Likes

It’s times like this that l wish l knew how to draw… If l was even half as talented, l would comission all the art for free

1 Like

Hi, everyone, I wanted to come in and shed some light on the situation. Toro has indeed retired as an artist, and I’m not sure if/when he’ll be back. It’s an amicable ending, he’s just gotten very busy recently with no signs of life letting up. It’s a good kind of busy though, it sounds like he’s got a lot of good things to look forward to :grinning:

I don’t want to add too much to what he’s already said, but we had a lot of fun collabing together, and he was really instrumental to making Forks what it is today. He pushed both his artistic skills by spearheading several redraws of the cast (each better than the last), and my writing by being a constructive editor. He’s just a great person, but that’s not a surprise to anyone who knows him :stuck_out_tongue:

With Toro moving on, Aria is without an artist and as such will be shelved. As for Forks, Toro already finished the portraits and (most) of the backgrounds, which means there would only be no more CGs. While I could likely finish the project without him, his retirement compounded some of my own feelings:

1. I’m getting older. The first post is dated from January of 2019, and in that time I’ve gone from post-college to getting a new job, a house, moving to a new house, having a son, and my wife being pregnant with baby #2 as of a couple of weeks ago. I’ve learned raising kids isn’t easy, and the prospect of doing it again, while ultimately rewarding, will creatively sap me for years to come. If there are any parents out there juggling kids with work and keeping up the fun kink art, then you’re awesome and I wish I had the same energy.

Alex was kinda’ where I was in life when I started writing her, but now college feels far, far away and it seems disingenuous of me to write characters I can’t sympathize with as much as I used to. If I redid Forks today, it would be with an older Alex living out of an apartment or something.

1. Toro was a huge rock in keeping Forks going, he was my biggest supporter and his loss isn’t something I can just fill with another artist. Nor would I out of respect for everything he’s done.

2. I made a mistake by unveiling Forks before it was 100% done. It’s entirely my fault since everyone here has been nothing but kind, but knowing that I was keeping you guys waiting while all of those life changes were happening to me kept Forks in the back of my mind. Something that I should’ve always found time to work on, and when I didn’t, it just made me more stressed. I didn’t manage my stress well and I realized I need a clean break from Forks for the good of my own mental health.

3. Team Spoon’s all gotten busy. Ars, e, Toro, and I all have way more going on than we used to, and while there’s no bad blood, we’ve all kinda’ drifted apart. With Toro gone, Team Spoon’s down to me, and I think it’s time I take the hint.

All that’s to say that I think it’s in my best interest to cancel Forks, and for everyone here to know. Like Toro said, I don’t want to just disappear either.

So is Forks cancelled? Yes.
Are you leaving the community too? Likely not entirely, I’ve loved weight gain art since forever and life’s not going to stop me from enjoying it. However, my wife’s wisely told me to keep it away from the kids :stuck_out_tongue: . If that at all sounded awkward, then you’ve got an idea of where I’m coming from!

If I ever do any future projects, they’ll be posted 100% complete, but I don’t currently have plans for any. Let me grieve a bit, dangit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, I leave you all with two parting gifts. First is a backup of everything planned for Forks, including all portraits. If anyone wishes to continue the story on their own, they’re free to do so without any permission from me. All I ask is that you credit Team Spoon somewhere.

Open it with Ren’Py and it should be good to go:

Canon routes were Grace - Control over Alex and path to harem ending. Hannah - A rational weight/life balance. Rea (real name, Rebecca) - Hedonistic abandon and biggest size, but only if you never reconnected her to her imprisoned mom. Yes :kissing:

Second, here’s a gift from Toro, a lineup of everyone using his best skills from ~June 2022:

He did it for funsies as a way to ease back into Forks after Aria.

I think that about covers it? Let me know if everything works, and I’ll hopefully be back with something, someday!

57 Likes

Unfortunate but understandable. Wish you well with life going forward.

2 Likes

The folder that you’ve linked is empty.

4 Likes

WHAT?! OH GOD IT’S THE NEW DEMO ALL OVER AGAIN!

I will fix this, you’re getting those portraits!

Edit: Fixed, go get 'em! Leave it to me to screw up a goodbye :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

This is sad news but understandable. It was an awesome project and thank you for everything you did!

Wish you all the best !

2 Likes

You got to mess up a release one last time, it’s in character! Thanks for all your hard work. This is probably the most excited I’ve been for a project on this site, and it sucks to see it go.

3 Likes

Sad to see such a great work go unfinished, although completely understand and respect the change in life circumstances. Maybe we can get together an attempt at a community continuation someday.

Also wowee those final sizes (especailly Rea!) that are in the assets are larger than I had anticipated this game ending at!

Can anyone else acces the onedrive file. It says it still not there. I t just dissappeared for me after a few tries of loading it.

Same here, I try to download but im greated by this message

This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.

1 Like

Says same here too. In case Tron isn’t checking this again in recent times if someone managed to download it it would be more than nice if they could re upload it to somewhere else.

3 Likes

Obviously sad, but understandable. Forks is what got me to make an account here in the first place, I’ll miss it! But I wish only the best for you and the rest of team spoon (also congrats on kid #2!)

1 Like

I made an account too becuase of Forks. Hope for the best for the team dispersing.

Portraits :

6 Likes

Thank you for this!

Would it be possible for you to upload the game files as well? I’m interested in taking a look at the code and opening it in renpy. If not no worries!

1 Like