Gain Jam Community Highlights: Most Potential

You thought discussion of the Jam was over? You thought wrong!

Welcome to the Community Highlights portion of the show, in which I invite you all to share your best bits from the Gain Jam over a range of different topics!

With a month past since the Lo-Cal Gain Jam’s completion, I would imagine most of you reading this post at this stage would have by now tried playing most if not all of the games available so this is an opportunity to share your discerning views as to which games really grabbed your attention and deserve to be in the spotlight. This can be from describing your experience with a whole jam entry writ large, down to the smallest segments or details that caught your eye!

Why are we doing this? Partaking in the Gain Jam is all well and good, however developers also earnestly look for feedback to their work and so this year we’re going to try something a little different. Relying on your collective input broadens the lens in which we view these games, helping to provide new insights and potentially stoking new interest in a game which might well have been overlooked by the individual. Also it can also help inform those who haven’t been able to play the games to such an extent!

So, enough preamble! For the topic of this Community Highlight reel, we’ll be discussing…

Most Potential :muscle:

Possibly the most important one for a developer: when taking into account all aspects of a jam entry and the promises potential within, which games could you see best going the distance? Either for their viability to be a success or just simply down to personal taste. Which game, if given the choice, would you want to see taken further?

Tips when posting:

• Consider the idea as much as the game! Because some entries were presented in a more or less complete state, this shouldn’t impact your opinion when viewing them through an objective lens. A good idea that didn’t stick the landing overall should still be recognised for its good idea - it can always be worked on!
  • Be impartial! Not every game is going to appeal to your interests so you may need to take a broader view and look beyond one’s own interests.
  • Be attentive! The best embellishments are sometimes the smallest and subtlest details that allow for natural ease of play - and sadly often go unnoticed as an unsung hero. If you find yourself getting relaxed as if playing a regular videogame, ask yourself what is allowing that to occur?
  • This thread is for highlights only. This isn’t the place for comparing participants and their entries, making tier lists etc. If you wish to highlight more pointed critique for a specific entry, please do so in the respective Gain Jam entry thread.
  • There are no right or wrong answers here as to which games are best or most deserving. Please respect other peoples’ opinions and adhere to the Community Guidelines as you normally would.
3 Likes

Right then, my views on which games I feel could stand to go further:

Given how much I posted in the thread, it’s clear that Diner Miner was my pick of the Jam. It felt complete in almost regards - sound, visuals, gameplay, theming etc. I could see myself paying for a deluxe version of the game, jus’ sayin~

Idol Maker: Refined Palette was impressively ambitious as a life-sim and the scope for further expansion is evident. Failmuseum has a knack for pushing the sim genre further and with a little refinement I could see a title like Idol Maker setting the new benchmark for the genre!

Similarly, Neon Dreams was a gorgeous and solid VN that had an engaging story. I’m hooked to seeing where things go next for Lynx and Iris!

Despite being a latecomer, Urg went in blazing with Fortune Flavours The Braised! With hilarious and characterful artwork and writing, I could see this easily tweaking the interests of those nostalgic for SCUMMy adventure games of the 90s.

4 Likes

I think this should go to Idol Maker. It’s very ambitious and already has a lot of features. It just needs to be polished up with a few bug fixes and some QOL.

1 Like

I really like the concept behind Greedy Gigs, probably the game I would want to see the most refinement in. The only thing that was really stopping me from enjoying it fully was the inverted camera.

1 Like

I’ll echo Greedy Gigs, the movement has great potential to be a fun mix of Mario Sunshine/Hat in Time and Spiderman games, once camera issues are cleaned up!

I also feel Honeypot Hauler and Diner Miner can go places as well, and both fufill the theme of the jam to the letter.

1 Like

Aye Honeypot Hauler was also fun seeing the continued transformations of your bee character. The final transformation felt more like an evolution In form to potentially expand further. When you push past your previous barriers, only the sky is the limit!

Secret shortcut to Gain Jam success: expanding bees. :honeybee:

2 Likes

i am very much looking forward to see how Draxi Dominion by PuffyLove is developed in the future. even if the released vers was missing a lot of stuff, just the style and concept was cool enough for me to get excited for the future. oh and honeypot hauler was fun too! plus they get major points for being two of very few of the jam games with male wg

1 Like