Gain Trial - A Tt LEGO games inspired platformer

Download the game here!

Inspired by the LEGO games made by Tt games, this odd game was made for Gain Jam #3 on Weight Gaming. It has 8 bite-sized levels and 5 different characters to play as which are:

• Tyler (The Red Fox)
  • Annon (The Anonymous User)
  • Geebie (The Gameboy Wolf)
  • @ “Ampersat” (The Annoyed Computer-Android)
  • Veaby (The Virtualboy Kitty)

More Screenshots!

:video_game:CONTROLS:
[E]-Interact/Swap with character
[12]-Change Character (While in a level)
[WASD]-Move
[Space]-Jump/Select menu item

Thank you for your time! Have a nice, safe, and fun day!

16 Likes

I like it. It reminds me of a Flash game I liked a while back (but unfortunately the game’s sequels took out the best part of the first game, ech).

My only suggestion (outside of the obvious “more levels”, “more characters”, “more big”) for the post-Jam version would be to have at least one male and one female for each of the required obstacles, and maybe have at least one level early on where you have to swap characters mid-level to help teach players that different characters do different things.
Related: I was stuck at the tesla coil puzzle because I exclusively used the red character up until that point, and didn’t think to try other characters until I saw the itch page’s screenshot with the robot in it.

…also I’m not 100% sure if it’s intended, but you can stand on the side of a box while it’s pressing a button, so both you and the box press the button down. I get the feeling we’re supposed to be standing on the box?

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m curious what game this reminds you of. I did wanted to implement the LEGO games’ idea of 2+ characters in your party, but I haven’t executed a following party member successfully yet (Although you can plainly see that at the beginning I have no problem of creating multiples, they just don’t cooperate properly yet). But dummy me delayed programming a little to much. I would have also added a hint prompt (like how the LEGO games do) to give you helpful advice, which would have averted the tesla coil puzzle being so difficult.
And the button thing I feel is intended as the last level requires it to beat. Besides, there’s going to be a reduction in levels before I can add more, I’d only be making longer levels. This is more of a bite size demo of what could be, showing off some simple mechanics. I am also aware of the lack of variety in characters (with 1 being the acception), but as I plan the mechanics and characters more, it’ll be more diverse :3 . And as for more “big”, it’ll tie into the variation in characters with some being more inflatable than others. I just need to work more on the character database so the process can be a little more streamlined (I am probably going to redo the character sprites with a 1" = 1pixel relation).
Thank you for your time! Have a nice, safe, and fun day/night!

It reminded me of Amber's Journey Home by Doom-the-wolf on DeviantArt
…mostly because of the changing weight depending on what you’re filled with and using that for some puzzles.

1 Like

Simple game with smooth mechanics. Took me a couple of tries to get the last one solved. I do not think there is a restart level button, and I wish there was one. I can see the Lego influence–quite charming. A storyline, even just with text, would have been nice. Random characters strolling up and down a hall, with one used to tackle each puzzle is just a bit strange without context.

1 Like

One last update before the deadline, and it’s made the game a little more lively!

Update V1.0.1

• Sounds and Music added
  • You can now change into characters that are walking around you with E (removed the [1][2] changing in the world hub)
  • You have a companion in each level (This may help in level 7)
  • Some objects have been resized
  • Level shakes when you land if your heavy (With water or food)
  • I also made a Linux export :3
1 Like

The strolling characters are at odds with each other without the context that they are all (except Annon) are OCs I have that I just quickly plucked (as fast as an hour to create a sprite) and placed in for content. So for some small context:

• Tyler the Red Fox, because when developing games I would make a Red Box as the player and wanted to give them a development name. This originates from Grain to Gain as the Red Fox seen in the screenshots is Tyler.
  • Geebie the Gameboy Wolf and Veaby the Virtualboy Kitty (though they are a she), are from a couple years ago when I tried studying color harmony with a basic color palette. You can see a bit of them on my DeviantArt account. Their names are puns on the respective abbreviations, GB for Gameboy and VB for Virtualboy.
  • @ (or Ampersat) the Annoyed Android, was a companion I decided to dream up while doing redstone builds with command blocks in Minecraft. Their name comes from when the command block sends a message to the player(s) without a name (so “@: Blah Blah” would be the result). Though their going to have a lot of rework since I never gave them an anthro form. I’m giving them the “Annoyed” prefix because I dragged them into this game XD
  • Annon the Anonymous User is just their to help with character creation, and that they originate from “ask OC” posts and thought it would be a funny easter egg to include them with all my OCs.

I hope a bit of background to them helps, although I may want to add a backstory menu option to fill in some gaps. Though once I make a plot for the game I’ll introduce them in proper so you don’t need to know all this information to enjoy it X3

2 Likes

I am getting strong Lego vibes from this. The characters wandering about is a great touch. The only comment I would give is to removing change character from the interact key. I would sometimes change instead of interacting as I was using the wrong character but I did not realize that until later and just assumed it was the game. Great job though, I hope this becomes a larger project.

1 Like

Thank you, when I redo the controls I’ll have interact be something like Right Click/B Button since the Lego games does have swap character and interact as two seperate buttons. I just ended up making a catch all button for the jam, which in hindsight isn’t that good XP

Very cute little entry! I’d like to see it expanded in the future. The implementation of a more accessible/quick character select system wouldn’t go amiss, however.

1 Like

@
Thank you, I’d like to try implementing something like how LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 did with their character select (but have it accessible anytime) as I find that the best character selector Tt game’s has ever done. The character select systems in most modern LEGO games seem to have this problem of automatically cycling through selections for you. HP 1-4 allowed you to cycle through them yourself, and it also included a quick filter system which I’ll have to figure out how to set one up for this unique game (LEGO Pixar’s Incredibles almost had a good filter system, but HP 1-4 is still better in terms of presentation). :3

1 Like

Grotlover2 Score

| Category | Total |

| —: | :–|

| Basics: | 20000 |

| Art: | 350 |

| Writing: | 0 |

| Concept/Design | 1340 |

| Msc: | 170 |

| Total: | 21985 |

Comments:

An interesting concept. I like the smaller puzzles which I thought was a lot of fun and the way you could switch between multiple characters opens up room to allow players to add their own characters into the game. The only thing is I wish using your partner character or the switching between characters was better explored as they did not really seem to add much to the overall game.

Jux Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 255 |

| Concept/Design | 826 |

| Msc: | 45 |

| Total: | 21316 |

Comments:

A cute, decently polished little tech demo. Would be nice to have more levels, but there is no judging criteria for length hehe.

Kilif Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 210 |

| Concept/Design | 720 |

| Msc: | 85 |

| Total: | 21155 |

Comments:

The overall gameplay loop was solidly presented, with good art, animations, several characters to pick from that could interact with certain puzzles in different manners, etc.

I found several aspects lacking, however. The theming felt somewhat weak. Yes, you had to eat or inflate to solve puzzles, but I felt like more could have been done, especially with the character swap mechanic. More engaging use of that would have made this a very interesting project, I think, and I would suggest looking more into integrating the puzzles with this idea, as well as any clever integrations with the fetish that be relevant to having to manage several characters.

So, yes, overall I think its solid, but I felt that the ideas in it were underutilized.

S&S Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 290 |

| Concept/Design | 1070 |

| Msc: | 120 |

| Total: | 21680 |

Comments:

Squirrel Score

| Category | Total |

| Art: | 220 |

| Writing: | 90 |

| Concept/Design | 1370 |

| Msc: | 130 |

| Total: | 21910 |

Comments:

This was a really good use of the theme and having different expansions being the key to getting through levels. I would love a lot more levels in this with increasingly difficult puzzles. The first 8 were great proofs of the concept. The art style and music was nice and playful, making it a joy to play along. All in all a solid submission!

Scores

Art: 1325

Writing: 90

Sound: 755

Design: 5326

Total: 108046

1 Like