Gaming General Questions (New ones every few days)

Not sure if this counts, but in the original ‘The Binding of Issac’ the ‘final boss’ has a theme called ‘My Innermost Apocalypse’ which I only recall playing for that fight alone, it’s one of my favorite songs, and it’s rivaled only by the Devil’s theme: ‘Enmity of the Dark Lord’ as my favorite. As for the remake: ‘Afterbirth’, the final boss theme might play at other fights, but it’s still really cool.

A really good theme is Asuka’s Theme from Senran Kagura Burst, which I think is best exemplified in her transformation theme, In My Grandpa’s Namehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHnIag8C90, a slower and more intense version of jer standard theme. It really works when you fight her as a boss in the alternate storyline.

Of course, Dedede’s theme has been good in every game it’s been in.

…I kept feeling like I was forgetting a really good character theme, but I realised I was thinking of John’s theme, Doctor, from Homestuck.

You like Pokemon? I like Pokemon. Let’s talk Pokemon because I’m sure everyone here has at least SOME experience with these wacky creatures.

So, let’s get straight to the point. Favorite Pokemon? (I’ll be shocked if Snivy answers with anything other than Snivy. XD)

Goooooooodraaaaaaaaaaaa.~

Dear lord I may have an issue. I absolutely adore Goodra for some unfathomable reason. I mean, there are well over 700 species (Because Sun and Moon is coming soon[sup]TM[/sup]) and yet this is the one that I always, ALWAYS come to when people start talking favorites.

Because I don’t know if it’s not obvious or anything but I love dragons. The’re badass, fierce and really freaking adorable when plumped up. And Pokemon has been reasonable good at keeping the whole badass thing going for their dragons. I mean, you have fucking seen Garchomp? Even Dragonite still has this awe to it, but that was probably more because Lance had three of the bastards.

And then there is this derpishly adorable gooey slug dragon from nowhere. Which starts as a literal ball of slime as Goomy. Which is still adorable, by the way. Which then turns into a snail thing (I swear if it wasn’t for the fact that it was dragon type, it could have easily been bug type, which would probably make Goodra a little scarier) that turns out to be blind.

And then Goodra, a 6’11" (?) slug dragon with a derpy look on it’s face, an adorable chubby frame and enough special tank stats to make every god damn fairy eat their hearts out.

And then we get into the other reason I love this dragon so much. Goodra acts as a fairly hilarious “Fuck you” to fairy types because of it’s absurdly high special defense. With a decent HP pool and access to moves like Sludge Bomb, near ever fairy has something to fear (Unless your Klefki or Mawlie, those are a bit problematic, ESPECIALLY Mawile as of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire).

(BTW, me calling Goodra absurdly cute is not ending anytime soon.)

But then there’s the PokeAmie. Here, Goodra reaches new levels of being cute as whenever it becomes happy, it does a little dance jig, or something. I don’t really care what it is, seeing Goodra do that just makes me absurdly happy and wanting to just cuddle the fuck out of this goo monster.

And as such I leave you with only this word.

Gooooooooodraaaaaaaaaaa. <3

since I can’t make myself name off one in particular, I’ll leave you with my team. I have a menagerie that I like, but I can at least narrow it down to 6:

[ul][li]Blastoise[/li]
[li]Arbok[/li]
[li]Zoroark[/li]
[li]Sceptile[/li]
[li]Flygon[/li]
[li]Sandslash[/li][/ul]

In no particular order.
Blastoise is obvious; the starter of choice. [sup](I don’t wanna start a fight, but squirtle squad is best)[/sup]
Sceptile I’ve recently developed a soft spot for as well, though I’m really not big on grass starters typically.
Zoroark is just a really nice design, and some extra meat on the bones doesn’t hurt…
Arbok and Sandslash are both nostalgia holdouts, I guess, but I love em just the same.
And Flygon wins out against Dragonite, though I love em both.

I’ve been called out, I DO adore snivy, it’s one of my favorite Pokemon, I also like it’s evolutions, as for my other favorites, they’re mostly the larger or rounder Pokemon, for obvious reasons… Kangaskhan, Nidoqueen, Charizard, ect. If it’s fat, or it would look good fat, I’m fairly fond of it, except for perhaps Snorlax oddly enough.

As many looks as I get for saying my 2 faves, I really like Gardevoir and Tentacruel. (And no, get your mind out of the gutter)

Gardevoir is elegant as hell. It’s a weird humanoid thing in a dress that has crazy psychic powers. The only thing better than beating down your opponents is looking gorgeous while beating down your opponents.

Tentacruel is just cool. I mind of like its vaguely flying-saucer-like body shape, and jellyfish are cool. It may not have competitively viable stats, but it’s a decent Pok?mon with nice typing (I like poison-types), and a fun, if hard to use ability

OBVIOUSLY. High five new buddy.

So I’m a fan of the squirtle line as well, but other than that I also like a lot of the early steel types, Steelix and Scizor particularly. Metagross as well. The last game I played was Platinum, but I’ve been playing Go like the rest of the world and having a blast with that. Caught two Snorlax who are also great for obvious reasons.

You know, it’s fun to talk about crazy characters. When I say crazy, I mean…unhinged. In a way, disturbing in what they do.
So, who is your most twisted character?

There’s a difference between being vile and being unhinged. I say this because the question sounds like that one before hand, so don’t worry, no Dahlia again.

For those of you who remember what it is I’m rambling about, I asked about vile characters some time ago, and in that I mentioned one Junko Enoshima. And while she WAS considered, I have someone else in mind from Danganronpa.

CONTEXT! 8D (And awesome theme for help with context)

Danganronpa (Literally Bullet Rebuttal) is a series of so far 2 visual novels concerning a group of students (15 in the first and 16 in the second) who are trapped and isolated together. All the students are considered “Ultimate” in a particular ability, ranging from Luck to Idol and even Doujin.

But they are all given an ultimatum. Either live out your lives peacefully forever, or escape by committing the perfect murder, thus sentencing everyone else to death. Should you be discovered, YOU are then executed, and the rest of the students continue their lives.

There is a point to this, don’t you dare leave me. And that point is Nagito Komaeda.

DEAR.
FUCKING.
LORD.

Nagito is the Ultimate Lucky Student, and it goes both ways. Hope’s Peak Academy occasionally holds lotteries to determine a student to obtain this title, and Nagito won that draw. All it needed was him getting kidnapped to find the ticket. And hey! He’s loaded with cash. All that cost was his parents lives.

Wait, what?

This is how his luck works, something absurdly good happens to him, only for something HORRENDOUSLY tragic to happen as well. It’s gotten to the point where he WANTS to die just be rid of his “curse.”

So, let’s talk about how Nagito views the world, because this is where we get into the REALLY twisted stuff. Nagito loves hope above all else, and despises despair. Enough to the point that he is willing to do anything in the name of hope.
Anything. Including murdering a close friend.

Yeah, things just got a little darker. Nagito is completely obssessed with Hope and feels that no matter what is done, if it is in the name of hope, then it is completely and totally okay. Probably the only other person who holds this view is Handsome Jack from Borderlands.

But Jack’s not on this, Nagito is. And Case 5 of the second game is why.

In case 5, Nagito is the victim, seemingly tied down, tortured and speared straight through the stomach. as the case unfolds, it becomes apparent that it was actually a suicide, with Nagito having set everything up to make it seem like someone else killed him. Just when everyone is just about ready to rule Nagito as his own killer, the truth starts to become apparent. Due to the fact that the Monokuma File (Autopsy report) does not specify Nagito’s cause of death.

So, what is Nagito’s true plan? He set up a MASSIVE gambit to ensure that he would be killed by the mole of the remaining surviving students, via fast acting poison in a fire grenade (A bottle meant to be used to put out fires.) AND IT WORKS. Simply due to his ultimate luck, Nagito almost succeeded in creating an unsolvable murder.

All in the name of hope. This guy is seriously messed up.

No wonder he’s a fan favorite.

In my opinion, it is pretty hard to find crazy characters. Maybe my craziest character would be Dr. Wily from Megaman. He just never seems to give up, but it is hard to tell why he is even fighting. All he wants to do is be seen as more powerful than Dr. Light, but that goal has almost no meaning to me. He is a character that I find difficult to understand and I think that is the mark of someone truly crazy. He also is extremely persistent. While Dr. Light keeps himself around through computers and capsule technology, Dr. Wily actually recreates himself with more attempts to become a major player in the world again. He is also somehow able to do a really good job at confusing robots, mavericks, et cetera, into joining his side every time. He is the perfect manipulator and he successfully controls the world, but he is just barely beaten until Dr. Light’s creations are able to stop him for good and bring on eras of relative peace.

I hope you don’t mind, but this choice made me think of a character theme for the question I missed. MegaMan ZX Trap Factory Extended - YouTube

Personally, I prefer their ZXA version theme.

Also, consider that Wily built a robot of Wood. And it works.

I feel like at some point this question would come up. In a game that has a major character death, which one hit you the hardest?

I hope no one minds if I make my way back to teenage High School Murder Simulator 2000, AKA DanganRonpa. Because giing us 16 charatcers to love per game and then killing them is a cruel thing to do, Spike Chunsoft.

So refer to my last question for how this game works, because I don’t feel like explaining it again. Instead, I’m talking about the executions each of the blackened is put through. Normally, they usually taunt what each of their Ultimate talents are (Ultimate Baseball Star is pelted by thousands of baseballs, Ultimate chef ends up deep fried)

Each of the condemned usually have a fairly understandable reason for succumbing to the desire to kill, but the absolute most heart wrenching is Chiaki Nanami, the Ultimate Gamer.

Reason being is that she didn’t even know that she killed Nagito.

Chiaki is the target of Nagito’s meticulous planing in chapter 5, which I briefly went over on the last one, and is probably the single most innocent character in all of DanganRonpa. Always a little sleepy from playing games all night long, Chiaki was a key partner in solving the man mysteries that came up with each murder. When ever a un-explainable contradiction showed up, Chiaki always calmly told everyone to simply take a step back and review everything they knew.

When she does this again in Case 5, it begins to reveal Nagito’s malice in his attempts to reveal the traitor and agent of the Future Foundation. And by relying on his Ultimate Luck, he succeeded in outing Chiaki as the traitor.

What makes it worse is the buildup to the declaration and decision that she’s the culprit of the fifth case. Hajime (Main character of DR2) has voice clips for whenever you make it through a part of the trial. Successfully find a cotradiction during a Non-Stop Debate? “NO THAT’S WRONG!” Beat someone in a Rebuttal Showdown? “ALLOW ME TO CUT THROUGH THOSE WORDS!” Point out someone who either has key information or is the culprit? “YOU’RE THE ONLY ONE!”

The moment you start to accuse Chiaki of being the traitor, ALL of the Hajime’s voice-clips change. Hell, his initial accusation is silence. The only Non-Stop Debate at this point has Him countering with a solemn “That’s not it…” It’s clear that he doesn’t WANT to believe that she’s the traitor, because Nagito’s Luck will mean that to reveal that would send Chiaki to her death.

The worst (By which of course I mean soul destroying) part is the Rebuttal Showdown against the Ultimate Princess, Sonia. It’s clear throughout the whole argument that Sonia is desperately reaching for arguments proving Chiaki’s innocence. After all, no one wants to believe it. Even the voice clip for clearing the Showdown sounds like Hajime choking back his own tears.

The final nail in the coffin is how Chiaki is selceted as the Blackened. Normally it happens as part of the stroy, something that’s automatic. This one has YOU choosing yourself, accompanied b Hajime’s mournful “Even so…”

I’m not getting into the execution because Monokuma has a twisted sense of humor that has to be seen to be believed. This is probably the most sane execution as well.

Simply put, Chiaki didn’t deserve to die. ;_;

Nearly everyone who dies near the end of LISA: The Painful were either characters you spent so much time with, or random people who did nothing wrong. Rando however… He survives, at least until the sequel. Rando survives his beat down, only to be hung with barbed wire in LISA: The Joyful, after you had traveled with him, and gotten to know him more, after you saw how nice he was…

Games usually have a moment that just WOWS a gamer. What moment hit you hardest?

Just know, it doesn’t have to be bad. A great moment can hit you hard as well. And for me, it’s one simple phrase.

“Despite everything, it’s still you.”

It approaches being a CRIME how little I talk about Undertale, because it is a great game. It’s simplistic in it’s design and gameplay, giving more room for characters and story, and I love how this game plays with our choices.

In the beginning of the game, you can examine a mirror in Toriel’s house that has a different description for how you play. Playing on No Mercy or Genocide has it say “It’s me, Chara.” (I use Chara because it’s “The True Name”) Playing as a pacifist give the dialogue “It’s you!” Small differences like this just drew me into this game so hard. "Granted, I just don’t have the heart to do a full Genocide play through of this game.

I’ve heard man theories that say the player character (Not saying name due to spoilers) didn’t exactly get through the underground unscathed. That by the end of their journey, they are covered in dirt, cuts and bruises. The monsters may be nice, but they weren’t exactly…gentle.

So, I love this moment. I remember seeing a piece of fan-art of this scene that displayed the image I put above with the quote. It’s such a small thing but the implications are just incredible. You had every reason to fight back, to hurt or even to kill. No one would have truly blamed you for having to kill a little just to survive.

But through all of this, you never hurt anyone. You made friends with them instead. You turned away with a smile.
You showed MERCY.

And thus… ou reach New Home (Great naming Asgore -_-), hear the amazing track called Undertale (…No words Toby. Songs is amazing, but the name needs work) and you see the mirror in the house, look into it and…
“Despite everything, it’s still you.”

Looking even deeper, it also speaks volumes about Chara. Said spirit(?) is with you the whole journey, watching you get hurt and in some cases, even getting killed. So, it’s probably a safe bet they’re just a bit protective of you during the pacifist run. Heck, the best interpretation in my opinion is that Chara is the one that’s providing the act options and the decriptive text.

The above quote, in this context, feels like Chara is both amazed and proud that you stayed true to yourself. Making it apparent that they know that while some humans are complete bastards, others, like you, can truly know what real love is (Not LOVE you jerks).

Small moments like this, I feel, hit so much harder in the long run than big, flashy moments.

“Still just you, Frisk”

I would say that Earthbound (the origin of Undertale) hit me the hardest. It was just so amazing at salvaging the magic of the world while still containing the world’s coldness. The feeling of playing one of the few RPGs based on the real world and then finding that it captured the essence of the real world better than almost anything was pretty mindblowing. And when the game went to pure fiction, it really felt scary to push forward in the unfamiliar landscape. You would think that the final boss would be important to my appreciation of the game, but it was hard for me to pay attention to it considering how full of memories and brilliance the rest of the game is.

If I had to choose one moment from Earthbound that really wowed me, it probably would be Winters, which introduces the character of Jeff.

We know them. We love them. And we absolutely love to hate them. Who is your favorite asshole?

SWEET JESUS FINALLY.

I now have an excuse to talk about The World Ends With You, TWEWY for short. This game was stupidly hard to find for YEARS, but thanks to Squenix putting on app stores as the Solo Remix, the game is now easily accessible.

Which means I get more of the hilarious assholelery that is Yoshiya “Joshua” Kiriyu.

Joshua is, bar none, the BEST partner in the game past Week 2, Day 5. He has the single highest damage output and some of the more creative uses of abusing the system. Of course, due to the fact that Joshua can only dodge rather than block (At least in the original) It was quite often that the second week was probably the hardest of the three weeks. But who cares because JESUS BEAMS (Not joking, btw).

But, what is Joshua actually like in story?

Dear lord is this kid the most magnificent of bastards. There is no denying it, Joshua is a complete and total dick, but he makes it work out SO WELL. Despite the fact that his hobby is pressing every single one of Neku’s buttons for teh lulz, he does it in a way that makes Neku consider what his life is actually worth, and whether or not he wants it back. Joshua routinely proves how smart he is about everything in Shibuya, and then trolls Neku by having him take a Quiz about what he just talked about, KNOWING the player most likely skipped the whole bit of dialogue.

I’m not even going to get into Another Day because that is just a whole condensed load of what the fuck.

[spoiler]It also helps that Joshua is, for all intents and purposes, the Big Bad of TWEWY. The dudes the Composer of Shibuya, which basically means he’s a god, and he is preparing to erase the whole area because of the disharmony in people’s hearts. Oh, and he killed Neku to get him into the Reaper’s Game as Joshua’s Proxy.

Thank the lord he came to see Neku as a friend and just what Neku was willing to give up to continue living his life.[/spoiler]

Of course, Neku puts it the best.
“I suppose you’re an ass. All the time.”

And with this, I leave you with what is easily Joshua’s best line.
“Shut up and walk, dear. :heart:” (The heart is part of the quote.)

I’m gonna give you a group of assholes and say Team skull from PMD2, mostly because they’re the only enemies in any pokemon game that give me anything to associate them with other than their music.

Also hello, hi, hello, good to meet you.

Because there are just so many damn good things to talk about, I’ll occasionally revisit topics from before hand. Like right now, we’re doing a visit back to our favorite females in video games, because I feel like they aren’t appreciated enough. So, let’s talk about some more awesome girls!

“I’m not stealing it! I’m just borrowing it until I die!” - Marisa Kirisame, Anytime she steals anything.

The self proclaimed Ordinary Magician, Marisa is the “Player 2” of Touhou, having been a part of damn near everyone one since her appearance as a Stage 4 Boss in Story of the Eastern Wonderland. Being known for being loud, rude, a kleptomaniac, and a pathological liar, Marisa is the polar opposite of Reimu.

And it is AWESOME.

Marisa is, simply put, hilarious. True, when she goes out to resolve incidents, it mostly for extremely selfish reasons (Execpt LoLK where Eirin basically told her to do it) but she usually ends up wanting to do it because it’s the right thing to do. And she will snark at absolutely EVERYTHING on the way there. Highlights include everytime Marisa is paired with Alice, and the snark to snark combat that takes place, to the point of IGNORING EVERY BOSS FOR THE INTENTION OF SNARKING AT EACH OTHER in Imperishable Night. Subterranean Animism makes it even crazier by having Marisa treat the whole thing as a dungeon crawler game, complete with floors.

In terms of how she handles as a character in actual gameplay, Marisa is FAST. Her emphasis is forward focus in terms of shot type in contrast to Reimu’s homing shots. Playing as her is usually incredibly reckless, much her personality.

So, why do I love this maniac? To understand this, let us take a moment to consider the response MArisa gave to the Absolute Judge of the Dead when being told she might be going to hell for lying to much:
“I haven’t told a single lie since I was born.”

And thus is the majesty of Marisa. Praise be to the Monochrome Witch.

So this will be slightly unusual. What got you into a particular series?

So, yes I’m talking about how I got into Touhou. Strangely enough, it begins with Megaman and this…just this.

Most notably, the music. I found it reall catchy and wanted to find it’s origin, which led me to “Ghostly Band ~ Ghostly Ensemble” from Perfect Cherry Blossom.

I love this theme. As a piece of music, it’s easily my favorite from Touhou, though it was later trumped b others such as Cosmic Mind or Littlest Princess. But on top of that, the characters the music has connections to are even more fascinating.

Lyrica, Merlin and Lunasa Prismriver, or the Prismriver Sisters, are three poltergeists who appear collectively as the stage 4 bosses of Perfect Cherry Blossom. They are probably the single biggest obstacle in the game, as they come after what is easily the longest and hardest stage in the game. As well as the order you fight them in is determined b the character you choose. (Reimu battle Lunasa first, Marisa Battle Lyrica first, while Sakuya battles Merlin first.)

What I love about the battle however is something that ZUN mentions in his music notes, mentioning that the Sisters are playing the music while fighting. The whole idea that the protagonist is being treated to a front stage preview of the Prismrive Ensemble’s concert is incredibly awe-inspiring to me.

And then there is their backstory. The three of them were created by the FOURTH Prismriver, the human Layla Prismriver. After being left alone and orpaned, Layla created the three ghosts in the image of her elder sisters to ease her own loneliness. Now that Layla is gone, the three ghosts have no other purpose than to play the instruments they have with them. A backstory like that suddenly throws their theme into a FAR more tragic light, as it seems that this is who the are, all they have left.

And thus, I found myself deeply entrenched into Touhou and now find it sucking away my life.

Well, I got into Touhou through the music as well, namely Flandre Scarlet’s theme “U.N. Owen was her?”. I didn’t learn of it through the mcroll video (I am at least free of that sin), but rather, I found a remix of it on the youtube channel of an artist I had discovered. The name was striking enough that I tried to figure out what game it came from, which led me to a list of Touhou Project characters on Wikipedia, complete with each character’s theme. It was all a slippery slope from there, and I now have over 2000 Touhou arranges from various sources (Frozen Starfall and Tutti Sound being two of my favourite artists)

Well, I got into Shin Megami Tensei because someone told me it was “kind of like Dragon Warrior Monsters” for the Game Boy, which is the whole reason I got into RPGs in the first place.

It definitely, DEFINITELY isn’t. But after seeing the endings for SMT II, I knew it was a series I would harbor a deep love (and absolute hatred because DAMN are those games hard) for.