Gaming General Questions (New ones every few days)

I got into Fire Emblem cuz my brother modded our Wii and downloaded FE: Radiant Dawn. I had no idea what the gameplay would actually be like and I just started playing it cuz the anime characters looked cool to me. I had seen Marth and Roy from super smash bros games and liked the art style, and I figured it must be a JRPG of sorts. So I put it on Normal mode and needless to say got my ass handed to me over and over (if you’ve played a FE game post Awakening-era, you’ll know that even Normal mode is frustratingly difficult, especially for someone new to the series). But that started my love for the series and turn based strategy games in general. Now I play FE games on Maniac mode and XCOM games on Impossible difficulty and have fun doing it. There’s just something about the looming fear of losing your entire squad from one badly planned order that’s really exciting to me. :slight_smile:

Just a quick response to Cyrptic about FE, I’ve played a Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon, Awakening and am currently working on Fates and got my ass handed to me on a silver platter in every single on at some occasion.

But in any case, let’s get weird. What’s the most absurd moment in a game you’ve witnessed?

I think I can use a quote from RabbidLuigi to summarize everything about Ace Attorney. Simply replace “Metal Gear” With “Ace Attorney” and it will make perfect sense:

“Metal Gear, as I’ve said ad nausem, is a game that likes to mix serious tones with slightly less serious tones. The games are stupid in places, but they’re usually stupid for a reason.”

This remains true even in the latest game of the Ace Attorney franchise, Spirit of Justice. And it shows…in the very first trial.

I’m sure everyone’s heard the memes about METAL JESUS by this time. For the uninformed, allow to try and explain what this is, because it’s…it’s really something special.

The main subject of the first trial’s cross-examination is a hippie who some how managed to become the head monk of Khur’ain’s Tehm’pul Temple (I wish I was making this up). The man carries around…some kind of instrument that resembles a shamisen, if you guys know what that is.

Anyways, things are already strange due to the fact that he sings testimony, and manages get Phoenix doing it at times as well. Hell, really at some point everyone of relevance sings along with him.

Then Phoenix makes him mad. And he gets METAL. And things just keep getting weirder. The voice bleeps normally used in Ace Attorney become deeper and…well things only get stranger. As said by the Turnabout Terror himself:

“And now for something completely different…”

The strangest moment I’ve seen in a game?

The obvious first choice is a scene in Saints Row: The Third. You are attempting to hijack a military plane full of weapons, but the door to the cockpit is locked, you blast it off it’s hinges, and destroy the entire cockpit by accident. To escape… You drive a tank out the back of the plane, then proceed to fend off fighter jets and other evacuees from the plane, jump out of your tank as it’s about to explode, climb into a different tank, and then accidentally cause a zombie outbreak.
SR3 is a strange and wild experience, but this one mission absolutely takes the cake.

1. Best Final Boss Theme? Super Mario Galaxy, during phase three of the epic finale, the music changes to one of the best main series Mario final boss themes.

2. Saddest Moment? Sonic and the Secret Rings, after Erazor Djinn is trapped inside his lamp, and after Sharah grants Sonic one last wish, the end credits tune just breaks my heart.

3. Favorite Boss Music? A three-way tie between Pok?mon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver’s Trainer Battle Theme, the Boss Theme of Final Fantasy IV, and the Boss Theme of Kirby Super Star.

4. Biggest Jerk? A tie between Green/Blue from the original Pok?mon games and Cosmic Luigi from Super Mario Galaxy.

5. Most Tragic Game Death? It may seem obvious, but Aerith from Final Fantasy VII. You’d better bust out lotsa Kleenex when you see that.

6. Most Insane Character? Do “Mustard of Doom” and “I have fury” ring a bell? If so, it’s Fawful.

7. Most Hated Game? Definitely Rocky Rodent for SNES. FNAF and Undertale, too, cause of their fandoms.

8. Favorite Character Theme? The theme that plays when battling Iris in Pok?mon Black 2/White 2.

9. Favorite Pok?mon? In Generation order, they are Charizard, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Electivire, Druddigon, Greninja, and Passimian.

10. Hardest Boss Fight? A tie between Misty in the original Pok?mon games after selecting Charmander and Tabuu’s Intense Difficulty Boss Battles fight in Brawl.

11. Favorite Female Game Character? “HI, I’M DAISY!”

12. Most Absurd Moment? When it’s revealed that Cackletta took Birdo’s voice in MLSS.

13. Attraction To A Particular Series? Team Fortress 2, due to the collectable headwear and witty characters.

14. Moment That Hit Me The Hardest? Lysandre’s death in Pok?mon Y. Anticlimactic, but it DID happen.

So, a while ago I asked about characters that were unhinged. You know, the ones who have a few screws loose in either a tragic way or demented way.

So now this time, we talking about our favorite crazies. NAME YOUR FAVORITE PSYCHO! 8D

I making my honorable mention right here of Jinx from League of Legends, especially with her new Star Guardian (Magical Girl) Skin coming that gives her a gloriously hilarious new V.O. (YOU GET A BULLET, YOU GET A BULLET, EVERYONE GETS A BULLET)

So, who is my favorite psycho? Once again, we venture in the endless conflict of Hope and Despair known as Danganronpa, because everyone in that series is royally screwed up.

Toko Fukawa is the Ultimate Wrting Prodigy, having wrote several romance novels that became best sellers when she was 14, if I remember correctly. Toko herself…is unlikable, really. She’s constantly playing the victim card, is beyond what normally makes a nervous wreck and is i a completely one sided love affair with the Ultimate Affluent Heir, Byakuya Togami.

The key word here is that TOKO is unlikable. In chapter two, it’s revealed that Fukawa has Disassociative Identity Disorder, or Multiple Personality Disorder. Basically, Toko has a second personality with whom she doesn’t fully share memories with, only shares emotions or feelings.

Who is the other Toko? The Ultimate Murderous Fiend, Genocider Jack/Jill/Sho/Syo.

And She.
Is.
GLORIOUS.

To keep things simple, I will be referring to her as Jill, since that is what Genocider is known as mostly in the game. But who cares about that, every time Jill appears, I end up laughing my ass off.

Never mind the fact that she is a serial murder who actually carries her trademark scissors with her at all times.
Never mind the fact that she is batshit crazy who laughs at every moment she gets.
Never mind the fact that she gives everyone a strange nickname because she can.

What I think I like most about Jill is that everytime she shows up, EVERYONE is confused and mildly concerned that she might murder them at a whim. She won’t, because it would inconvenience them her more than it would benefit her.

So remember, if you need a one stop shop for weapons…
“Check out Murder Gear — Home for more info!” - Geocider Jill, Trial 3

Like how many games have a “Big Bad,” Some games also have a “Big Good,” A good aligned character who drives the plot in a manner similar to the big bad, just for the side of the heroes.

So, what character of this archetype is your favorite?

If there has been one person I’ve wanted to talk about in relation to Touhou, it would have to be the Mastermind of Masterminds. The Border of Illusion, the Gap of Phantasm, the Witch at the End of the Fantasy, Yukari Yakumo.

Facing Yukari breaks a particular trend, as rather than being the Extra stage boss, Yukari is the Phantasm stage boss of Prefect Cherry Blossom. Boasting the highest amount of spellcards (11, compared to the 10 Extra bosses have), Yukari’s fight is the one that will likely take ou the longest, if only because when fighting her, you have to turn your thinking around when maneuvering through her Patterns.

So, what makes Yukari special?

Let’s talk about her power first, the ability to manipulate boundaries. Yukari is the Youkai of Boundaries, and she takes this title to mean she can manipulate whatever the hell she damn well wants to. As all things are defined by boundaries, there is virtually no limit to what it is that Yukari can do, as Night and Day, Reality and Fantasy, even Life and Death (Pictured here as the Spellcard “Boundary of Life and Death”) all lie with her domain.

So, how does Yukari use this massive power of hers?

10% of the time, she’s using it to uphold the balance of Humans and Youkai in Gensokyo.
The other 90%, she’s trolling whoever happens to cross paths with her.

Yukari spends most of the time that she’s awaking walking up to the notable people of Gensokyo and saying whatever strange thing happens to cross her mind. She’s never outwardly hostile to anyone, as the older Youkai tend to be more docile.

However…
There is exactly one way to send Yukari into and unstoppable rampage against you.

Should you mess with the Great Hakurei Barrier, or the Hakurei Shrine, Yukari WILL come after you herself, and will rip you to absolute pieces.

Just ask Tenshi.

And this is why I love Yukari. Her interest lies in maintaining the order in Gensokyo, making sure that Humans are not over powered, but making sure that Youkai are still feared. Everything Yukari does is towards this end, and she can do it while she sleeps, which is most of her time. But make no mistake, Yukari is a force to be feared, and will destroy you should you cause disorder in the sealed realm.

It also helps that in the Touhou fighters, Yukari occupies the “Weird as hell” slot in the rosters she’s a part of.

Edit: #trains

Thinking of the Big Good is very interesting. It would probably be my favorite archetype alongside Yandere. In a game called Magical Camp, the camp’s leader is Marianne and she is actually similar to Yukari now that I hear the complete story. She is an immortal who keeps balance in the world. However, she is more dangerous than Yukari because she is almost always drunk and will destroy a man’s life no matter what whenever she gets the chance if she is drunk.

Essentially, she is one of the worst imaginable Big Goods. The camp residents fear her deeply and don’t like her at all and she will use the same torture she uses on men on magical girls who don’t do a good enough job. She is willing to let them die and do irresponsible things with their safety just because she doesn’t care about much more than her star pupil and magical girls who have very exceptional strength.

However, what makes her the Big Good is that she is effectively fighting an alien threat that could quickly wipe out any world it infested. Only magical girls are capable of fighting the monsters and a good magical girl can defeat a colony on their own whereas a bad magical girl could make the situation even worse. I suppose the whole reason for her cruelty would be the stress of managing all of these magical girls who might die one day. Marianne might be strong, but she isn’t perfectly aware of everyone like a goddess could be. The camp has to stay very secret, but they also have to use files to manage everything about conflicts and magical girls on duty.

There goes cryptic, giving me more reasons to like them, hot damn.

I got into fire emblem by being contrarian and playing Fe7 while everyone else was raving over awakening.
…I should probably get fates…

As for the big good, ehhhhhh… I haven’t seen it executed very well, they’re just kinda bland. Zelda, Makoto, that sorta thing. They fullfill a purpose and that’s fine.

There are some characters who makes us laugh non-stop. Who is the character that makes you laugh the most?

So, for those of you who have a 3DS and haven’t played Kid Icarus: Uprising, what are you doing with your lives?

You might think I’m talking about Hades.
Yes?
Go away, not you.
You’re so mean, Silvy. It almost breaks my heart. Too bad Pitty Pat already did that.
IN ANY CASE, The one I’m referring to is the Goddess of Nature, Viridi. Or as she is actually known as, The Goddess of Snark.

The moment Viridi opens her mouth, the only thing out of it is non-stop sarcasm all directed towards Pit. Pit, unfortunately, misses most of it, which then serves to make her even snarkier, and as such, things just keep on escalating.

What makes it great is that Viridi is so OBVIOUSLY Tsundere for Pit, and everyone knows it. Of course, since she is being a Tsundere, Viridi does everything she can to deny it (Best part is that in the Japanese Dialog, Palutena out calls Viridi a tsundere.). Pit of course is the only one unaware of this, which makes Viridi taunt him even more.

Hell, Viridi explains her entire relationship with Pit in chapter 21:
Pit: What?! They don’t look anything like me! First of all, I’m MUCH more attractive!
Viridi: Honestly, it’s like you WANT me to insult you.
Pit: No! You just do it anyway!

And let’s no forget about the fact that Viridi tries very hard to keep from breaking the fourth wall, but Pit being Pit, doesn’t catch on, at all. To which Viridi responds with, you fucking guessed it, more snark.

Then again, snark is Viridi’s default tone of voice.
Palutena: That’s because I was using my “power of ninjary”.
Viridi: Riiiight.
Palutena: What, you don’t believe me?

And that is Viridi in a nutshell. Remember to love her snark and don’t piss her off unless you want a Reset Bomb to the face.

Hmm… This one’s tough- since I’ve been mostly playing one of two types of games lately:

-Team-based arena games (World of Warships, Paladins, League of Legends, etc.), whose casts rarely have the time or dedicated character moments to amuse me.

-Games in other languages / Unintelligible Games (Kancolle. No others atm), Who have funny characters… but I don’t speak the language. I play it by wiki, and by the time I’ve got a translation, the timing is all wrong.

But when I think of a character from a game that makes me laugh on a regular basis, one name alone comes to mind.

Sans.

Yes, that Sans. The one from UNDERTALE. That game that was super annoyingly popular last year. It got a bit overblown, but the cast was a charming one, and the flat, down to earth punny nature of Sans never failed to amuse me. Something about his presence was always interesting to me, and even when I was ripping my hair out trying to best him on Genocide, that smirk of his always brought me back until I had bested him at last.

It’s almost a pity that Undertale is as short as it is, and that Sans’ fight didn’t have more banter… though it’s understandable, given the seriousness of the affair. I would have loved to see more of him… And no, all the hundred-bajillion fanfics, spinoffs, and AUs out there aren’t quite the same, y’know?

The memes aren’t as funny without the soul.

yeah. without the soul, it all just burns out, don’t it?

Oh, don’t you make a pun of my name- get back here you little—

$$@#&^@&^#@($^#&$^^!$!

end transmission_

Ok, I’ve got a topic for you lot-

How toxic are you?

Yes, it’s time to get self-reflective!

I’d like to say I’m a decent, if imperfect presence on the internet while I game. I’d also like not to lie- sadly, they’re mutually exclusive, but it’s more complicated than that, and I think it says something about toxicity as a concept.

When I’m winning, or in a good mood, I’m fairly quiet. After all, since things are already going well, there’s no reason to say anything, right? If we’re winning, I’ll just keep doing what I’ve BEEN doing until the situation changes. I might offer a ‘gj’ or ‘wp’ to a team, if I notice a good play in a given game, but mostly I’ll keep to playing the game. This is assuming the chat button is ‘ENTER/RETURN’, otherwise I usually abstain from communication altogether unless “absolutely necessary”.

Now, when I’m losing, by contrast, I’m often the most vocal person in the room. When I lose or die in a game, or start to realize the situation’s gone to shit, I try to find a way to justify my plays and find other reasons things are going wrong. I think we all do that, at some level. And sometimes, the answer is “Soul, you sucked, and you died for it.” To which I answer with a sigh and go about my business as above.

But most of the time (80%+ of my game time) I don’t say anything. But that 20% is 19% toxic and 1% good. But that’s the nature of it, isn’t it? If more people engaged in chatter, I’d probably engage in silly nonsense chat too, but often the chat is fairly barren until someone is triggered. So I guess that means I’m toxic and it’s other people’s fault, right? =P

How about you guys? Thoughts?

PS: This is a redo of a similar post from yesterday, though it is wildly different. It was lost when my session inexplicably closed. Thanks, Chrome!

Well, if the words of so many other people are anything to go by, I might be incredibly toxic, seemingly unable to play with others? I don’t know, but I don’t doubt it much either…

My toxicity level is directly correspondent to the stupidity of the people I’m playing with.

Was it only yesterday…?
Yes, yesterday.

So, yesterday, me and a friend were playing League (Already a bad start), and…well the game wasn’t going bad. All the lanes were doing pretty well, I was keeping up in my jungle farm.

Then our Leblanc said something that made me feel immense pain:
“Surrender, I don’t want to be in this game if it’s not ranked.”

Bearing in mind that this was the last day for the ranked season, and she basically did nothing in any teamfights, AND was apparently on a smurf account (Account other than their main one), and threatened to throw the game, and then did actually throw the fucking game…

My toxicity went from 0 to Pumpkin Spice Bleach in about 3 seconds.

Reasons like this fucker up there are why I never want to see a god damn Leblanc in a match of League ever.

Hmm…

In a pvp setting, I don’t say anything until the match is over, and even then it’s only when I’m prompted to. Anger will make you perform poorly in just about any game or sport where there’s critical thinking and strategy involved. Sure, it might give you a rush of adrenaline, but you’re much more likely to be rash and act on impulse which is counterproductive to your goals in a competitive setting. Mindset is super important in e-sports since we use our minds more than our bodies.

A top super smash bros melee player named Mang0 said something about mindset that really stuck with me. In melee, players have 4 stocks each in a game. If you die cheaply on the first stock and allow yourself to be affected by that, you’re now playing at a disadvantage for the next 3 stocks. You have to reset the situation and play each stock the same, with a neutral mindset. It’s hard for a lot of people to overcome mindset issues though. Mang0’s advice is to find an environment where you can maintain an absolute focus on the game, where no external stimuli can reach you. So if someone speaks up during the match, just ignore it. If you read into what they said, you’re already playing at a disadvantage because now your mindset is tainted for the rest of the match. You’re focusing on what they said instead of the match.

So yeah… I guess I try not to be toxic at all, not because I care about the other person’s feelings or anything, but just because it will ruin my own chances of winning the match.

When I play a game, I shut down any part of my brain that isn’t helping me with the game, so I can play without distractions. As such, I tend not to say much, be it via chat or voice. I do tend to be rude to my friends if I beat them, but then, what are friends for if not to call them scrubs?

I guess getting into that kind of mindset is hard for me- Since the games I play on multiplayer have such a core strategic component (Speaking mostly for World of Warships here, where strategy decides matches more often than any individual player), I feel as if I’m obligated to at least try to guide my team in such a way as we win.

And then I get ignored, because it’s the internet, we lose, and I break my (x).

i tend to get toxic when my team is getting stomped in a multiplayer game.
however i don’t use voice chat often so nobody can hear my angry rambling. probably for the best.

SO.

Soul’s post inspired a new topic. I’m aware that many of us play games that involve online play, and sometimes pvp. In these Games what do you hate seeing more than anything else?

You know, as aggravating as League of Legends is, it still teds to be a lot of fun. The over 100 champion line-up allows for so diversity of play, making each match unique.

That being said, so long as I have a ban LeBlanc will NEVER see play in any of my games.

I despise Leblanc with the passion of 1000 dying stars all going supernova at once. The main reason being that she lacks something that Riot claims it holds in high regard: Counter-play.

Leblanc belongs to the class of champions known as Assassins. They do exactly what you think they do: They get in, kill the squishy, and either barely escape or get killed in the process. A well played Assassin is every single Marksman’s nightmare come true, but Utility mages and Supports are able to mitigate about 80% of their damage if they respond properly. As such, Utility is the counter to Assassins.

Now, every Assassin has mobility in their kit, and I’m fine with that. They need ways to infiltrate the enemy team’s back line to take out the damage dealers. Naturally if they fail, an Assassin is stuck with their dicks hanging out flopping around and a bunch of sweaty, burly men looking at them like “Hey there pretty boy” and things are about to get messy for them as their cheeks clench up pretty hard and holy shit, what am I talking about now? Point is they get screwed over pretty fucking quickly.

Leblanc has her mobility as her second ability, Distortion. She jumps forward, dealing damage at the target location in a small area. Everything is still fine still normal. But you go to punish her for her mistake and now she’s vanished.

Wait, what?

And thus we get to the true BS of Leblanc. She can reactivate Distortion to return to her original location, taking all the risk away from her combo and making her a low-risk, high-reward champion. She makes a bad decision? That’s fine, I’l just blink back to my original location and leave this area, so long nerds. Force them to blow all their crowd control, then re-engage and kill the damage dealers, and now tanks can only noodle slap the enemy as they get slowly burned to death.

Worse is that the Assassin Update that came with Preseason did nothing to mitigate the inherent frustration that Leblanc has, keeping this unhealthy pattern of extreme safety for a champion class that is all about risk versus reward.

If the risk is low, why is the reward so high? That’s describes the issue I have with Lebonkers, and why so long as I have a ban, she will never see play. EVER.

I think this is the first time I’ve seen you truly angry Silvy. It looks rather nice on you. >:3
Not in the mood, Hades. Not in the mood.

Basically, if something is more or less ‘broken’ in a game, I don’t like having to deal with someone using them like that. So many examples… Phlogs from TF2, Corrin’s counter from SSB4… And so on

people joining lobbies only to leave them the last second; making the lobby timer reset or, even worse, the lobby close. Not fun, at all.