Heroes on a Budget - Development Back on Track

how about water + ice?

4 Likes

That’s not how it works, unless you mean you want to specialize in both water and ice, because that you can do you’ll just need to study water every chance you get. You chose to learn an element; Fire, Water, Earth, or Air. Each of those primary elements, have a sub element, you can chose to put the xp for that element into either the primary element (water in this case) or the secondary one (ice in this case). The secondary element costs more xp and has less spells than it’s primary element, but are generally more specialized. If you want water and ice magic at the same time, you can, you just need to study the water element a lot.

You could spread your self as thinly between the elements as you want or you can specialize however much you want.

1 Like

I mean use Ice magic on wet target, EBF (Epic Battle Fantasy) got some element combo, like “wet” make someone weak at shock and ice, you can play newest EBF5 and Learning some good element gamplay.

4 Likes

Not a bad idea, I think I’ll do that actually :slightly_smiling_face: Probably won’t make it do as much damage as shock + wet, but maybe I’ll make it inflict a frostbite status effect.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’m going to make a drawing for all 7 applicable sizes, but I’m making art for the measurement
taking side quest in all armor shops. It’ll be a variation of the same drawing for each size. Here is the sketch of it so far (the sprite and picture were just there for the reference, they won’t be there in the real drawing) This is the base thin sketch:

10 Likes

Nice it reminds me of the after bath scene from a long maid vacation. Where the playable character comments on their current size and weight. A new japanese weight gain RPG from @3GPG93kDyAAWbKS on twitter - Projects - Weight Gaming.

2 Likes

I was about to say that xD

1 Like

First of all, even if it is a sketch, it shows that you are still improving your drawings and that is very good. :smiley: :+1: :+1:

It would be great 7 drawings for the 7 sizes, although I’m sure you would have to take some time. These kinds of projects with drawings, decisions, rolplay, etc. usually take time for that in my opinion, since apart from programming it would be to draw the characters and sprites.
In a few words, if you want to do it, do it but keep in mind that this may take a while and if you don’t plan to draw them, don’t worry, no one is going to pressure you and we all understand that this could take time. :grin: :+1:

oh and this is more a question of curiosity,
Have you thought about the names of the fighter, mage and rogue or will it remain a mystery :o? :kissing_closed_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Thank you.

They do have names, I revealed them when I showed off the normal weight sprites, but to save you a trip to go looking for them, Claire is the fighter, Ophelia is the Mage, and Sarah is the Rogue. I am just referring to them by class for now before the demo is out, just so I’m as clear as possible when explaining things.

4 Likes

Oh I understand now why they don’t call them by their names ,thanks for answering my question. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Yeah it would be cool to see in game. I always enjoy the rpg maker games that have art outside the sprites, but it’s obviously a time and resources sink. If @failmuseum decides to go that route that would be awesome but any art in the game is a plus imo. I wouldn’t want them to burn themselves out in the art department but it would be cool to see.

1 Like

I’m trying not to burn myself out with the art, best things that helps is to jump around at random and draw things unrelated to each other and then eventually coming back to the area that needs more than one drawing. So, just the sketches for the other sizes will likely be used as place holders while i’m busy drawing other things or programming. I need to not make the same mistakes I made/am making with the CK2 mod, where I wore my drive to work on it out. This project being smaller in scope (at least in a way that prevents feature creep) should help my chances.

3 Likes

Makes sense definitely don’t want you to burn yourself out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Whatever you decide I will say the game seems to be shaping up nicely.

1 Like

I should mention just how much I’m doing in regards to ending planning. For what I’m calling the “true ending” to the game (beating chapter 8. The other ending categories being, Lost Boss fight endings, Normal ending (beat chapter 7 boss, don’t go to 8), Bad Normal ending (lose chapter 7 boss or immobile party), and Bad True Ending lose in chapter 8 either by boss or by getting too big).

I have to plan these endings out in advance so I can easily program in the requirements as I go. So far Warrior has 9 potential endings for the True Ending, Mage has 3 so far, and Rogue has a lot but I haven’t counted them yet. The endings are governed by the weight of the character and the actions you took during the game (weight is put into groups to make it easier, but each ending will have different dialogue or text based on the exact weights. Thin and Pudgy are bracket 1, chubby and fat are bracket 2, very fat, obese, and morbidly obese are bracket 3, and the remaining weights are bracket 4).

4 Likes

Progress on the sketches for the measurement event. I’m at size 5 of seven. First picture is the finished size 5, and the second is the progression from 1 to 5. the jumps between 6 and 7 will be much larger. EDIT: They are all sketched out now, I’ll show them off in the next post I have something to share.

10 Likes

I made three new jobs, and I’ve changed how payouts are handled now.

First is how the money is given to the player. When you work, the money is not just given to the player anymore, it is given to you the following morning instead. The exceptions would be for some unique “jobs” like giving your measurements to the armor shops, those will pay upfront instead of at the end of the day.

First is for chapter 1,2,4 and 5 only and that is lumber jacking for the warrior. These are only chapters with a significant amount of trees that are good for lumber so this job will only be available here. It pays better than the standard fare (75G instead of 50G), but the work is more labor intensive, so the warrior will lose 200 Hp each time they do it. So you need to make the call if the extra money is worth needing more healing.

Second job is for the Rogue, it’s a simple maid job at the inn at night, 50G. However, the Rogue has an aversion to honest work, so it will drain her MP a bit when doing this. The more honest the work, the more MP that is drained. So later when the entertainer job is available, that won’t cost much MP, but a maid job will cost quite a bit. Why I’m adding this is due to how the Rogue’s endings are influenced mostly by two factors outside of her weight, did she commit a crime, and did you ever get caught committing a crime? So it’s pushing the player to play according to the Rogue’s character, and rewarding them for not taking the easier route. Plus, theft will payout better than her other jobs, so that’s another incentive to do it.

Finally, I got another job for the mage, it’s in the magic academy (the place where you learn spells). There will be another mage trying to make a weight loss potion (they won’t succeed, at least not during the game, maybe in an ending for Ophelia). Ophelia can get paid to test out the potion, but it will result in her gaining weight when trying it. The sudden weight gain will damage Ophelia, so it also will cause 100HP in damage. It pays better than the standard potion job (75G instead of 50G). I am open to more suggestions for the magic academy, since it’s the magic location I have less restrictions with what kind of content can be there. Just remember that only Ophelia can enter the academy, with only once exception. I’ll have a portal to the academy in the adventure field that leads to the room where you can pay to fight previous chapter’s enemies if you need to grind before you can handle the current chapter.

Here is the max size sketch for the measuring quest, as well as the progression (all the layers turned on at once). On the max size one, the stomach is bare but the chest and arms are still covered by the underarmor. I just didn’t shade it right.

10 Likes

Quick poll because I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts on how I should roll out the content releases in the future after the demo for chapter 1 is out. Regardless of the poll’s outcome I would be doing bug fixes in between releases.

• Release each chapter as I make them.
  • Releases after every two chapters I make.
  • Only two major releases, one at chapter 4 and second after all chapters done
  • One single release when the game is completely done.

0 voters

6 Likes

Just some two cents of mine about software releases in general:

You don’t want to make releases too infrequent because it’s easy to never get anything done, OR to spend most of your time on the fun parts and never quite get around to some of the boring parts that are necessary to make the product finished.

However, you don’t want to make them too often because making a build release-worthy often comes with a decent amount of extra work (compared to your typical dev build) AND post-release you often get lots of little bug reports related to UI nitpicks and resource loading errors that can collectively take lots of time to resolve and keep you from working on what you want to (because you get this feeling that you need to fix bugs FAST because people will be inconvenienced otherwise).

So try to release often enough to motivate your self to work on release aspects of the build, but don’t release unless you’re mentally prepared to handle the post-release cleanup work. For me, if I still feel drained from handling the bugs from a previous release, sometimes I’ll put off a subsequent release until I have fun adding a few more features :wink:

7 Likes

I would say release each chapter as you get them done, then review it after it is “done” to see if you like the flow and how ideas and time changed the story from chapter 1 to end chapter

4 Likes

I would definitely go for chapter releases. Gives you a chance to have people test and provide feedback. Makes it harder as you add more chapters to test properly.

2 Likes