HoneyCombat🍯

Well, you win lol. This is amazing, super impressive on every level, the music is great, the gameplay is great, the art is great, the animation is super smooth and looks really good, it’s absolutely insane you managed to do this for a jam, this is basically a full game.

Bugs (bees): Tank units randomly get stuck on nothing sometimes and don’t start moving again until they’re attacked. Don’t know what causes this. Also, the queen being hit sound effect keeps clipping my headphones and speakers even when the other sounds are at a reasonable volume and play fine, don’t know what’s up with that.

Did I mention how incredibly mind bogglingly impressive this is?

8 Likes

fun fact the damage unit also gets stuck and if i would why i would have fixed the issue but i have no idea and i can’t replicate it on purpose. i think it’s them getting locked in their attack loop and a new unit resets them. Idk what is up with the queen audio though, i didn’t have time to figure out how to do art for audio sliders.

1 Like

Very rare bug that happens: if a troop is knocked out of her “transformation” animation, this happens:

5 Likes

is that unit still moving? (I should have disabled the hitbox)

2 Likes

Whilst I understand the limitation of not having the queen get forever bigger, it would be nice to see further purple honey give some boost, like a single bonus bee for each one.

(Who am I kidding, I just wanna feed the queen some more! :grin:)

9 Likes

Yeah, they still moved and behaved like a Scout; they just couldn’t transform.

(Also, I think the hitbox staying there makes some sense; it prevents you from making last-minute changes and encourages preparing before the fight happens. I’m pretty sure the unit was knocked out of its animation right before it tried to swap sprites.)

3 Likes

once they start fighting they can’t change, but i didn’t think about them getting hit while changing

2 Likes

ah fair i didn’t think people would just want to dump resources into something for the sake of doing it, post judging i will disable the limiter.

4 Likes

I just gotta say that I love how this game turned out! I’ve played through it a few times already and I still want to go back and play it some more!

One issue I found though and I think maybe others may have found it is that sometimes one of my units will end up stuck in place and not march forward, but they still attack enemies if they get nearby. Aside from that this is a wonderful game, and I love the fat bee aesthetic!

3 Likes

yeah that was an issue i knew about before launch but because it fixes and has a very very rare chance of every unit being stuck like that (and because i have no idea why it happens) i left it. It can happen to both player and enemy units. it’s just some logic error that i believe causes the unit to get stuck in their attack state. (but i didn’t use a state machine because im not fast with that yet so idk where the error happens)

2 Likes

Suppose the purples acted like health boosts for the Queen, and the weight stages act like overhealth indication? (i.e., taking damage would knock her weight stages down until you healed her with more purple)

3 Likes

Loved everything about the game and I truly hope to see it updated or iterated on further. If even support its development if that were to become an option.

Any critique I could make has already been said by others. Seldom met any bugs in my playthroughs; that I at least noticed.

10/10, give me a shot of honey again.

3 Likes

Well this is a nice idea with great art and it runs very good.

2 Likes

You should add a character that explodes. Like it dies via exploding (except when it gets killed). Kind of like a moving bomb that detonates when it’s near enough towards its enemy/enemies. Basically, a creeper, but it’s a bee.

Anyway, I enjoyed that. Good game. Keep up the good work.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty neat idea, yo. Maybe if we do get to expand the game later one we could add that. Thanks for the suggestion, and thank you for the compliment!

6 Likes

seldom met any bugs? I don’t know… I see quite a few of them on screen : 3

Out of dumb jokes. Thanks for playing, I’m glad you loved it! I hope it’s possible to continue on expanding on the game

4 Likes

Would love to see this project continued/improved upon. There’s a lot of potential in this little project, from units to maybe different factions of insect-girls and it’s actually easy to imagine a storyline. Admittedly am also curious how the Bomber bee would look (massive-bellied, extremely slow unit to make up for how much damage her explosion does? Who knows, not me).

Seriously though, reckon it’s one of, if not the best entry this year. Also impressive you managed to make such a fun game despite the ‘hands off’ restriction.

3 Likes

Save the Bees.

Help save bees | Fauna & Flora International (fauna-flora.org)

4 Likes

if i remember correctly, this was a ideal you had a long time ago and if so, im quite happy you made it into a real game.

And like everyone else, i want more.

5 Likes

Fat Thickie Beeeees, game jam 2019. I still can’t BELIEVE how many people have brought that up from this game. Like, how can yall still remember that mess that never was?? lmao

It’s not the same idea, since both jams had different restrictions, but it does feature fat and thick bees, so personally, I’ll take it as my comeback story lol

4 Likes