Interest Check: Mutants and Masterminds

For those wondering, Welding Mask Man (I promise he has an actual name) rolled a one. He wasn’t actually hurt by rolling a one, but this seemed funnier than missing at that point.

See? The dice don’t hate you, they hate everyone.

Haha diiiiiiiiiice. I got something for that :). Autofire power extra means that if that attack hits by more that two, the save DC goes up by 1 for each two (max power level / 2, so… +1 save DC :p). But it also can go over the power level save cap, so if those hit by +2, it’ll be DC 13 instead of 12! Yaaaaaaay!

I like the force-projection appearance! Also, combat’s been going surprisingly smoothly for a forum game! I credit it to good GM work, manageable game size, and people being on a lot! Thanks everyone, having fun, and glad W.M.M. rolled a 1 :p.

Yep, we are the worst heroes.
We're... we're [i]heroically challenged[/i]. I'm sure we'll get better at it!

Edit: Oops, on the combat post I forgot that editing it would mark the dice rolls. If it’s a problem I’m fine with re-rolling.

Dear lord, I should’ve gone magic if you can just jam that many extras and modifiers in there for so cheap.

Although from the looks of things I should probably just be jamming as many points as I can into toughness and impervious and be the biggest wall that I can be to pull fire off you two.

Yeah, this has been going well! Likely to slow down a bit as we hit the work week, but not terribly.

On that note, remember that because NPC saves are resolved on their turn, you’re free to continue turn order unless an effect will impact other player actions (like the cage). I’ll try to get posts in often, but you don’t have to stop everything if I don’t get one in between every turn.

And a note on Homing: Attacks with this feat still only get one attack roll (chance to hit) per round. The primary advantage of the feat is that an attack that misses will continue even if you’re doing other things (which is still terrific for a magic build with lots of options), but it doesn’t allow beam spam. You could get a second attack power, and double up that way.

I’m going to play this as if it’s just the one homing attack, feel free to use that standard action on something else.

I’m not sure I get the homing thing. Both of those attack rolls are from two separate uses of the power - the Homing attack was the one that missed last round. It’s a free action to maintain the (homing) power, which gets a second chance to hit, and then it’s a standard action to use the blasty power again.

Dear lord, I should've gone magic if you can just jam that many extras and modifiers in there for so cheap.

It’s less magic, and more just how the Alternate Power feat works in general. Alt. Power is you spend one point, and you literally get another version of the power you’re using with just as many points in it as the first. The downside is you can’t use both at the same time, so for example even though Telekinesis is sustained duration, Mia can’t blast anyone while she’s using it. So it definitely ups your versatility, but not what you can do in one round. Alt. Power is definitely good though, but unfortunately is’s not as good for Emma’s build since a lot of your stuff is constant. But you could you use it to pick up, say, Shrinking with equal points to Growth for only 1 point.

Hmmm… While shrinking sounds like it might have limited applications for combat, at the very least there could be a lot of fun gained from tiny Emma and normal sized food. I might need to consider taking that if/when we level up.

That would be fun :). And there’s a few combat-focused extras / feats for shrinking, so she could go ant-man on someone if she felt like it!

This is from the guy who wrote the book:

1. What happens if the character shoots the Homing Blast at Target 1 on Round 1 (which misses, so attacks again on Round 2) and shoots Target 1 again on Round 2, and on Round 2 both hit?

Both can’t hit on the same round, because Homing attacks only get one attack roll per target per round.

It’s still a pretty good power feat and, on closer reading, you can use the power on the same turn Homing is active, it just can’t attack the same target (you’re free to shoot someone else immediately) twice in the same round so the second attack auto-misses and then homes in on the following round. It’s essentially a way to stockpile attacks and multitask more efficiently, and it lets you get around the “Can’t use two alternate powers in the same turn” issue you brought up. You could, say, fire off a blast, and if it misses you can TK grapple someone while the homing attack comes back around.

It’s not quite as incredible as throwing around beam spam, but that’s still a pretty useful feature for one point. And it paints a pretty cool picture. Streams of hellfire swirling around an opponent, pummeling them relentlessly, each escape only promising future destruction…

Aahhhh, it makes sense now! I was thinking of each use of the power as a separate entity, but the quote makes it clear it’s the power making another attack roll.

And it paints a pretty cool picture.
Yaaaaay! I think so! Between that, holographic red objects, and a [b]giant[/b] we've got a visually spectacular team at least! Who needs to be effective when we look so damn cool?

adsein, that’s a little beyond the scope of Create Object unless you take Snare or Suffocate as an alternate power. I’m going to let it fly this time, but in the future you’ll either want to invest a point in diversifying your power, or you’ll have to expend Extra Effort (take a Fatigued status) to temporarily gain one.

Alright then

The only good roll we have had so far has been with a +9 modifier this is without a doubt the best first combat i have ever experienced

Thanks! I always like to hit players with varied minions in the first session. With how off-the-wall powers can be, it’s a good way to gauge where everyone stands.

By the way in saying she’s disoriented is that flavor or a status

diiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ;w;

Edit: And I was so happy about fridge one liners

never mind

Disoriented is flavor, Stunned is a status.

[quote=“pirateGuy, post:95, topic:917”]diiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ;w;

Edit: And I was so happy about fridge one liners[/quote]
You technically have to hit something with a ranged attack to affect it with TK… But a fridge is Large non-living object with zero Dex, so a 6 actually hits. At the very least, you’ll push it over in the right direction.

Yaaay, bad dice don’t matter against an inanimate object! Probably won’t stay inanimate for long, but a fridge falling on you hurts at least! (If he doesn’t dodge it or whatever). But it means fridge pun made sense, so a good round on the whole!

And that’s the unofficial end of Issue 1. I say unofficial because I’m not going to stop any posts if you want to keep talking, but this is pretty good stopping point.

Up next is an in game time skip and an out of game break for a couple days while I get things in order… And you spend points. You all get four Power Points, and Power Level rises to 3. If anyone wants to do a little respec on their characters in light of how things went down, give me a heads-up and I’ll give it a once over.

Post or PM any actions you’d want to take over the next in-game week, and I’ll get you the results before we resume.

As always, I’m here to help if you need it.

Oof, 4 points is a really tricky amount to figure out where to put it. That’d be enough for +1 Melee Attack, +1 Protection, and Shrinking as an alternate power, but I’m not sure that only shrinking down to small size is enough to make it fun.