Interest Check: Mutants and Masterminds

Now that I’ve read it, what would you like us to post? A quick summary of what our characters did over the previous week plus an in media res establishing where they are now like we did before?

Yes, that should do it. That’s probably going to be standard operating procedure unless the three of you start patrolling together, or get a lair, or have movie nights.

Should be easier now that you have each others’ numbers, no need to contrive a reason to all be on the same street.

I can’t wait until we have movie nights. We’ll watch chick flicks and discuss who all the cutest Heavies are.

This seems like it could go awhile, so while Emma does her thing I’m opening the door to split the party and have Mia and Temperance go to the mall.

Whether you take this option is entirely up to you, and if you do I’ll endeavor to twine the stories back together as we go. If you’d prefer to wait for Emma to get her phone and call for help so you can all kick off as a party, that’s fine too.

I think Emma may have (hopefully) finally just made it and can get her phone now. But if the other two want to go do their thing and leave her with nothing to do after texting them back but go eat more jello, I won’t say no to that.

Just to be 100% clear, Candace’s effect is Emotion Control, not Mind Control. You aren’t being compelled to obey her, you’re just compelled to like her. If you don’t think your character would do something based on those feeling, you don’t even have to roll to disobey, you just don’t have to do the thing (though the feelings will still be there). Likewise, you don’t necessarily have to receive an order to want to do something for her, you might just want be helpful.

Temperance thinks she’s a nice girls who seems trustworthy. Emma is currently head over heels. Mia thinks the puns are great, but that has nothing to do with powers, it’s just a True Candace Fact.

I think I would enjoy this but one question could I make a villain

I think my character would be a mixture of starscream and the red skull

How so? That’s a lot of ground to cover, especially considering how many versions of each there are. Are they like Starscream because they’re conniving, or because they’re independent? Do they have a nazi theme going on, or are they very ambitious?

I’m gonna be honest here, I’m a man who roots for Lex Luthor, so I get the appeal of playing the villain. Honestly, it’s why I GM more often than not. But it also means that a villain in this game needs to be able to carry part of the story, so you need to sell me on your ability to do that.

Who is this person? Why did they turn to crime and/or evil? What powerset are they rocking? I can help you sort this out, but you’ve gotta start it off.

Also, maybe keep this in PMs. If you’re going villain, it’s best to give the heroes a surprise.

Am I too late for this, and is it difficult to try and figure out?

I think we can make room. Complexity is almost entirely dependent on your powerset. A straight up bruiser is really easy to build, but the fancier you get with the powers the more complex it gets. Fortunately most of that is character creation and you won’t have to deal with it during play unless you get really complicated.

Let me know if you have any questions about the rules or setting and I’ll do my best to help out.

Thanks, can you get a sheet so I can get started?

Here you go!

Sorry about that, I was in a rush this morning. The campaign is currently at Power Level 3 with 39 Power Points, though that will increase after this issue concludes.

Alright, though can you help explain some of these things to me?

Sure. Do you have the rule book? Forum rules mean I can’t hand out links, but googling Mutants and Masterminds 2e PDF will do wonders.

The sheet is set up to do a lot of the work for you. It will keep track of points spent and power weight for you.

Now, I notice your sheet mentions growth powers. I’m not going to say you can’t go that direction, but Emma’s already rocking the size changing theme. Density, making yourself heavier and tougher, would let you do similar things and give you a distinct theme.

As for absorbing power from people and objects, I think you’d want to go for Transfer. If you’re just putting everything you absorb into one power (Density or Growth) that’s two to four points a rank depending on how bad you want the drain to be (two points is draining a single trait of your choosing, like strength or toughness. Three allows you decide what trait you drain every time you use the power instead of being locked into what you start with. Four points lets you drain a bunch of similar traits at once). To work best with Density, you’d want to start off with nine ranks.

You can make powers cost less with flaws. I think a Fattening side effect on the Drain would be thematically appropriate.

If you like, I can put some of this down on the sheet so you can see what you have to work with.

That would be nice, even with the sheet online, I’m not too sure how to make much of this work.

There we go. I gave you the 4 point version of Transfer, allowing you to drain all of a target’s ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, etc…) at once. I gave you the Fattening Side Effect that triggers every time you use Transfer, which is a -2 points per rank. I slapped a Slow Fade on there because otherwise you’d lose a point of Density every round. Now you’ll lose one every five rounds. I’m going to say the slow fade applies to Fattening as well, because that seems fair.

That’s a total of 19 points spent, so you have twenty left to play with. I’d advise you to put some in Strength, and maybe lower your starting weight. You’ll be gaining over the campaign and your power gives you temporary weight, so you’ll be stacking on penalties fast if you start too high.

After that, adjust your other ability scores as you see fit, maybe browse feats to see if anything catches your fancy, and pick some skills. Maybe glance at some powers to see if you want to add anything.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks, I haven’t had much luck actually finding this online, so I’m not sure what skills there are, and would they use ability points to get?

All the skills are on the sheet (just scroll down a bit), most of them are self explanatory.

I also noticed that you were putting you ability points in the “Enhance” column. That’s for boosts you get from powers or devices, your standard ability scores are in the “Base” column. I took the liberty of moving them over, but you may want to do some re-balancing. That ate up the rest of your points, and you’ll get enough Strength from Density that you only need a couple points there to start off.

Think I’ve got it… Not sure though…