Interest Check: Mutants and Masterminds

Snivy, you’d start off draining someone(or something)'s abilities, weakening them, and that would enhance your own weight and physical capability. At that point you’d be punching people, or possibly throwing large things at them.

Incidentally, more people have been asking about joining. Six is definitely the upper limit for one campaign because of how turns can lag when everyone is on at different times and have to go in order. But, that long gap also presents an opportunity.

Snivy, Incognito, what would you think of starting on a parallel campaign with a couple other new players in another part of the same world? You’d be starting off at the same power level since we already put the sheets together, but would be otherwise separated from the current campaign. I’d call this second campaign an experimental one that might get shut down if it interferes too much with running the original, in which case you’d both have the option to migrate there. I doubt it would come to that though, considering the current posting gap would give me over a day to post in a separate thread. There’d be some slowdown, but it should actually be considerably less than adding two people to the current turn order.

What does everyone think of that idea? Am I overreaching here?

[quote=“Heavy Heretic, post:161, topic:917”]Snivy, you’d start off draining someone(or something)'s abilities, weakening them, and that would enhance your own weight and physical capability. At that point you’d be punching people, or possibly throwing large things at them.

Incidentally, more people have been asking about joining. Six is definitely the upper limit for one campaign because of how turns can lag when everyone is on at different times and have to go in order. But, that long gap also presents an opportunity.

Snivy, Incognito, what would you think of starting on a parallel campaign with a couple other new players in another part of the same world? You’d be starting off at the same power level since we already put the sheets together, but would be otherwise separated from the current campaign. I’d call this second campaign an experimental one that might get shut down if it interferes too much with running the original, in which case you’d both have the option to migrate there. I doubt it would come to that though, considering the current posting gap would give me over a day to post in a separate thread. There’d be some slowdown, but it should actually be considerably less than adding two people to the current turn order.

What does everyone think of that idea? Am I overreaching here?[/quote]

I’m fine with that if it isn’t too much of a hassle.

Eh… Okay. Let me know if I need to ‘fix’ anything I’m doing, still not entirely sure if I’ll be doing things ‘correctly’.

Hi, I’m one of the people Heretic mentioned that PM’d about joining.

I’m cool with joining a secondary thread set in the same world. I have a character brainstormed, but not put down on an excel file yet.

Any idea who would be running this other campaign? Under the impression Heavy would be joining as a player and not the DM.

As much as I’d love acting as a player instead of a GM, I know GMs are always in short supply. If anyone else feels up to running a game, I’ll gladly hand over the secondary campaign. But, until then, I think I can just about manage to keep up both.

And, since I’ve got you, have a character sheet!

I’d also be interested in a spot. I’ve never played Mutants and Masterminds before, but I’ve got a copy of the rulebook and I’m familiar with d20 games in general. I’d need to brainstorm a bit to come up with a character.

Character sheet!

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks! We’re starting at power level 3, right? That was the most recent amount I remember seeing…

Alright, spoiler for everyone in the current campaign: Power level is 4, total points are 45, or it will be as soon as we wrap up this issue. That’s what all the new folks have been using.

Worked on my character a bit. Please correct me if I did anything wrong. I have some tabletop experience but I wasn’t feeling confident while feeling out the excel chart. Its should be ready to go for now though I might tinker with it some more.

Just a straight speedster for now. Was going to make an elastic speedster (for an expanding stomach and super-speed eating) with a Canary Cry Burp (burp being more thematic to the campaign. :P) though I don’t like the lack of synergy between the abilities in combat. Don’t really need the range when I can zip in and out with punches traveling miles in seconds. Super-Speed being so expensive makes me feel bad spreading the points even further as well.

If anyone has any superhero name recommendations I’m open to them. Went with Supersonic Woman, a Queen reference. Not my intention to do so but being a Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures fan it made me happy. Was also thinking Thunderbird, Queen Quake, Sonic Boom, Take Out, and Supersonic Sister for the alliteration though the reference becomes weaker.

Look forward RP’ing with you all!

I had a question: on page 110 of the book under Power Modifiers, it indicates that if you would have enough flaws to reduce a power’s cost per rank to less than 1 point/rank, it instead starts awarding bonus ranks in the power. For example, if I took Protection (1 point per rank) and applied the Ablative (-1 point per rank), it would allow me to get 2 ranks of the power for a single power point. The character sheet doesn’t seem set up to handle this, how would you like us to do this?

EDIT: For the record, I’m working towards a ranged/support type character, a basic energy projector with some healing and forcefield capabilities. Backstory is imminent once I get all the details locked down in my head!

EDIT 2: Alright, here’s my basic background blurb. I’m still undecided on a hero moniker, but neither is my character.

[spoiler]Riley Harper never took much notice of the Wide Wave. To her, the sudden surge of plus-sized super-humans only made her job as an EMT harder when she had to go into the aftermath of a hero-villain fight to help people out, or if (heaven forbid) she had to help move one of the pudgy paranormals into the back of the ambulance. Seeing as these events were few and far between, she only paid as much attention to it as she would to the latest political scandal or celebrity breakup. She was far more interested in her job, and lived to help others.

This aspect of modern life came to her attention when one morning, she woke up with a ravenous hunger. Her normal breakfast of yogurt, egg whites, and granola didn?t cut it; breaking her own rules, she stopped by a fast food joint to pick up several greasy bacon-egg-and-cheese gut bombs on the way to work, and arrived at work with nothing but crumbs and a still-growling stomach to show for it. The insatiable hunger seemed relentless, and she devoured food with little regard for her previously healthy diet. Within a few weeks, her svelte figure had ballooned into a thickened hourglass, leaving most of her wardrobe perilously tight if it was wearable at all.

Riley was no fool. She knew the weight gain was far too rapid to be natural, and given that medical diagnosis revealed no underlying cause, she fully expected that she too was a victim of the Wide Wave. Still, it was a surprise when her powers manifested. She was responding to a call in projects, a gunshot victim, when a gunfight broke out around her. Crouching over her patient, she yelled for her driver to retreat and call for backup while desperately wishing to be anywhere else. In response, a spark ignited deep in her chest, expanding to fill her body with a sensation of heat and pressure, and she instinctively pushed. A golden bubble popped into existence around her, and without stopping to think about what she was doing, she grabbed her patient in a carry and lifted him to a nearby roof, out of the line of fire. Once there, she placed her hands to his wound, golden energy suffusing the injury as it shrank to a patch of tender, pink, unbroken skin. Ignoring the sudden complaint of hunger from her belly, she called her driver and had him meet her several blacks over, where she touched down with her passenger and loaded him into the back of the ambulance for a proper checkup.

Riley has continued her job as an EMT, since the ability to fly alone has made her able to respond to calls much faster, to say nothing of her actual ability to heal. She?s unsure about getting into the hero business; she wants to help others, but she?s aware of the correlation between a super?s weight and their powers, and is uneasy about how much she?s already put on. Still, it?s for a good cause?

[/spoiler]

Yeah, that’s a feature I’ve been meaning to add but never got around to because no one needed it. I notice you seem to have gone in another direction, but I’ll patch your sheet to handle it.

Looking good, everyone!

Just wondering, would taking density make Eva larger or anything? Or would she just get stronger from it?

With the Fattening side-effect on there she’ll get fatter, but not taller.

Fair enough, more weight, bigger target, basically just be a sort of wall for the others, if not a brawler.

I don’t mean to rush anything, but are we still doing the ‘parallel’ campaign?

We are! After the holidays. Sorry for the long wait, but this is a crazy time of year and I don’t need any more on my plate.

How does kicking off on January 1st sound?

Sounds excellent! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the end of the current issue, assuming that we would begin the next issue at the same time.

Cool. That’s alright.

Heavy, how do we handle alternate powers in terms of power weight